Fasting

Hello everyone. For reasons associated with my faith I fast two days a week skipping Breakfast and Lunch. I usually drink a bottle of Naked and drink a cup of coffee in the morning. I eat around five, but obviously have a lot of calories to use. Because of my schedule I sometimes workout right before or after I eat which leaves me with extra calories to use. Should I eat something with a high calorie intake like donuts or cookies, or fried food to use those calories. It just seems so late in the day to get all of those calories. I would appreciate some advice with this issue.

Replies

• an5081
    an5081 Posts: 5
    Hello everyone. For reasons associated with my faith I fast two days a week skipping Breakfast and Lunch. I usually drink a bottle of Naked and drink a cup of coffee in the morning. I eat around five, but obviously have a lot of calories to use. Because of my schedule I sometimes workout right before or after I eat which leaves me with extra calories to use. Should I eat something with a high calorie intake like donuts or cookies, or fried food to use those calories. It just seems so late in the day to get all of those calories. I would appreciate some advice with this issue.
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    There is nothing wrong with fasting, but make sure you get your fluids and vitamins.

Also, I know some faiths only fast from sun up to sun down where others fast for 1 to 3 days or more.

Even Gandhi drank fluids with all his fasting.
  • sa3whitt
    sa3whitt Posts: 7
    Ever consider eating "good" high calories foods such as almonds, cottage cheese, etc? Donuts and cookies are a nice treat but not good for ya.
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    I agree with sa3whitt... grab some of those healthy naturally high calorie foods to help get your calories... avacado is great (and soooooo yummy!) I wouldn't break down and do too many cookies and stuff because those fats are transfered to your hips waaaaaay too easily. I imagine that since you haven't eaten all day your body is probably also on a mini-starvation-mode and will try to store some of those bad fats if you do cookies... :o( According to this website (http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counting/high_content_food.htm) banannas are also high calorie (I wouldn't have thought that!) and of course peanut butter is alway high calorie but healthy. Just type in healthy high calorie food in a search engine and lots of ideas will pop up! :o) good luck!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    you might consider some kind of higher calorie protein or vitamin shake to ad to what you eat, that way you arent eating a bunch of grease right before bed, plus it will bring some extra vitimins in.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Try adding some protein powder to a fruit and yougurt smoothie. It will up your calories and nutritional intake. They even have certaing hunger control varieties you cound eat at night that would last you throughthe morning!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    well, to be perfectly honest with you, it IS rather late in the day to be gorging on calories. Is this two days EVERY week? If it is, I wouldn't even begin to know how to handle this, it's not something anyone on here (that I know of) can really advise you on. For something this advanced you really need to talk to a certified nutritionist.

What I can tell you is this, you can't just not eat for 12 hours then eat all your calories, the body doesn't work like that. Think of it like a gas tank, if you drive all day, and use 30 gallons of gas, but your tank only holds 20 gallons, you can't try to stuff 30 gallons in at the end of the day, it'll just overflow and in your body's case, turn into fat.
  • an5081
    an5081 Posts: 5
    Thank you very much everyone for your honesty. I will try the protein shakes with my meal, and talk to a professional when I have a chance.