Do exercise calories really negate what you eat?

Options
I am not so new to MFP, but I only recently discovered the MFP community and a seemingly controversial debate-that of eating back exercise calories. Now, I am not asking whether to do so or not, but I am curious about something I have been noticing in myself. Do exercise calories really negate what you eat? Is exercise just a supplement for weight loss, or does it help cause it? According to my workouts and my food log, I am getting a net of 1200 or less calories each day... yet I eat about 1700 (BMR is about 1300) and I exercise a lot. I don't eat back all my calories (about 2100 or so) but I do eat more than I would if I did not exercise. However, I am not losing any weight. Rather, I lost for a two weeks and this week find myself gaining. What is going on? Should I try eating less and exercising less again? Please help! I was in a funk :frown: all day over this question.
Thanks

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    a) Gaining for one week could well have to do with time of the month, water retention, anything else. Check again next week -- don't let one week throw you off.
    b) The "eating back exercise calories" is because they have not been counted in your calorie allowance. Many other calorie calculators will calculate your calorie allowance with the exercise you say you are going to do, which leaves you over if you don't DO it.
  • Lisaclough6
    Options
    In short, I think the answer to your question is yes, you should be eating less or the suggested amount before gain-back calories from excercise. Exercising is going to burn fat which are measured in calories. If your goal is weight loss, then eating back the calories granted through excercise is essentially going to maintain your weight - if you have slightly higher water retention that week or your body is tired, you could show a 1-2 lb gain that can fluctuate. My suggestion is to eat the recommended calories per day and try a protein powder if you are working out alot as mentioned. Suggestion * Weider's all natural daily protein and fibre powder. Remember as well, even if you go above your recommended calorie suggestion, choose foods that are vitamin dense and not fat/carb dense. Good luck!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard to say exactly how many calories you are burning when you exercise. I think you'll have to experiment and see what works for you. I would certainly give it another week or 2 and see if the gain you saw was temporary first.