Beginner Pilates/yoga vids for big girls/guys?

Options
Hey y'all, looking for some YouTube links or DVD recommendations of Pilates and yoga for bigger people. Most of the YouTube vids say they are for beginners but are very difficult at my size (also having a big butt makes some poses harder lol).

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Plus Size Pilates is one DVD, have not tried it. Peggy Cappy has videos called "Yoga for the Rest of Us" ..... These are most likely not what you're looking for though.... more health issues ... I thikn
  • giraffells
    giraffells Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing. My daughter was watching one on Netflix, called CRUNCH Yoga. It looked like something I could do. (I am a big girl also). I will try it and let you know..
    Can't wait to see the other recommendations.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    I understand...I am bigger too and I love trying to do yoga and pilates....I have done them off and on for a few years now. I have 4 DVD's that I use ...(none are for beginners...Ha!)...All I can tell you is to do what you can and don't over do it. It is really easy to do in yoga. It's going to take a lot of time to get better and better. My sister has been doing yoga for YEARS ...she's a size nothing and she still struggles with the poses. Just do what you can and don't over do it...it is really easy to hurt yourself doing a pose the wrong way so be careful~

NAMASTE friend!
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The up side to yoga is that many of the poses can be adapted to your needs/ ability. I have a couple of dvd by Shelly Mcdonald Caribbean workout, it is a whole series and there are 2 yoga videos. They usually have 3 people doing the workouts with each one doing a different level and she gives instruction on modification of poses as needed. I started doing yoga many years ago (7 or so) and I am much more flexible now and I can do many poses that I could not even think about in the beginning (like the Wheel- think full back bend which I have only been able to do the last few months). Good luck and Namaste!
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Whew just tried one and my lower back is killing (I guess because of the big butt issues lol)
  • keacey
    keacey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I personally like Shilpa Shetty's Yoga DVD. It is easy for beginners and the narrator talks about every "asana" and its uses. It made my body very flexible in a few weeks, and help me lose a little weight in a couple of months. Note - you won't lose weight immediately, but it makes you body very flexible.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Netflix streaming has a video called Candlelight Yoga, I think it is in the Crunch series..it's very beginner and I looove it. I see it as more stretching than yoga per se but you should definitely try it out. The instructor is great and I always feel really good when I do it.
  • alericmckearn
    alericmckearn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Netflix also has a Pilates video called "pick your level weight loss Pilates". It has 3 different levels shown at the same time, that way you can grow with the video. Good luck!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Netflix streaming has a video called Candlelight Yoga, I think it is in the Crunch series..it's very beginner and I looove it. I see it as more stretching than yoga per se but you should definitely try it out. The instructor is great and I always feel really good when I do it.

Candlelight yoga is such a great video. I used to have a copy and I lent it out, and, of course, never got it back. I'm so happy to hear it's on Netflix. I have a recovery day today, so I'm going to do it tonight. The instructor, Sarah Ivanhoe is great. She also has "Joy of Yoga" and "Fat Burning Yoga" for Crunch. Both of them are accessible, beginner videos, but Fat Burning is, I think, hard on the wrists.
  • elodea
    elodea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started using this video this week and I am finding it works great for being a beginner. By the time she finishes the explanations for all three levels the exercise is almost done so you don't even notice how quickly you're going through the video. Plus the particular beat she uses is just the right speed for me to keep up and not get confused.
  • Meeraji
    Meeraji Posts: 1
    Options
    It's great that us curvy gals are not shying away from Yoga! Try Big Yoga--2 DVDs (Flex-Ability and Hatha 1) for home practice. Also, my book, Big Yoga: A Simple Guide for Bigger Bodies won the Ben Franklin award for best book in Health and Wellness. I'd love to hear from you if you try it--You don't have to be thin to enjoy the benefits of Yoga!
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    if you have netflix they have one that i like that is called pick your level weight loss pilates. it gives you 3 versions of each exercise so you can do the one that feels best for you.