Newbie-Looking for motivation with running and weight loss

Options
I am running a 10K next month (my first race ever). I am having a really hard time keeping myself motivated to get out there and run. I have a full time job, married, and kids...blah...blah...blah...all these great excuses to keep me from working out.
I am in my 40's, 5'1" and about 160 lbs. It's not been easy for me to run or lose weight.
I'm really looking for "friends" to keep me accountable, motivate and help each other. I "know" what to do to lose weight and train. I just don't do it consistantly.
Anyone out there willing to be accountability and running buddies?? I need someone who will be consistent and motivating with me...and I will be with them.

Replies

• Nicolearredondo17
    Nicolearredondo17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lets be running buddies I downloaded the Couch 2 5k app and have been following it I am on week one day 3. Their is also a 10 k app. Not sure if you have an ipod touch, iphone, or Android but I know the apps are available on all three. They are great because it tells you when to run and walk. Let me know my run dates this week are Wends, fri, Sat. We can set a schedule and let eachother know the results of each run. Hang in their the first day is the hardest after that you will look forward to them. I am a mother of two I have to wake up at 6 to go before the kids are up. You will keep me accountable.
  • KLD81230
    KLD81230 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Add me too, friends!

I am running the Colorado Warrior Dash this summer, and a few months ago couldn't run for more than 2 minutes without thinking I was going to die. Now? I usually run 2 miles after my 45 spin class each weekday, and am slowing starting to learn how to run outside.

I am a momma of three under six, am up at 5:15 to get to the gym and would LOVE some motivators and friends on here!!

I'm impressed witht he 10K! I wouldn't be ready to tackle that quite yet!
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am just recovering from a pulled hip flexor and then I'll be back out there! I had gotten my distance up to 5 K- so I am super impressed with your goal of 10! I tried to 15 minutes on the treadmill the other night and almost died....I can't believe how fast you can lose the ability to run! So I would love some new friend to motivate me to push myself to run further and faster as soon as I am able to!
  • Nicolearredondo17
    Nicolearredondo17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also running a 5K in Sept. to support Autism my older son has high functioning Autism. The second race I am waiting to hear back about the Nike Womans run to support Leukimia I just lost my cousin so it is in her honor. That is my part motivation to not let them down.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi there, feel free to add me. I signed up for my first half marathon in October. A year ago I started signing up for races once a month during the spring-fall running season here with some friends and it definitely helped me stay motivated (there's nothing like the threat of public humiliation to keep you motivated!) Good luck!
  • tbeards2403
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This will really help! I've been running off and on since December. My first goal was to run the half marathon, but it really stressed me out and I slowed my training down (I think) because I freaked myself out. Now I've changed to the 10K and feel much about about being able to complete it.
    I plan on running tomorrow. I'll post how I do tomorrow.
    Thanks for the encouragment!
  • superdonna
    superdonna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds impressive!!! I am not a runner and in fact if a muderer were to be chasing me down...I would just have to curl up in a ball and hope for the best. :) I am a walker. I tried running. It was very hard on my body. Keep up the good work!!!