Is this salad bad? See ingredients inside

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
I don't track my calories that much so I'll ask:

Bed of romaine, teriyaki chicken (no skin), alot of dried cranberries and alot of pistachios. Dressing is the Kraft light asian toasted sesame.

Just in general. Decent salad? Waste of time? Other?

Replies

• iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good and healthy for upping protein but I'm no health food expert
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    Pistachios are high in calories, but i'd keep them and ditch the dressing, or make sure you're using just a tbsp to drizzle it on. I generally keep my salads with as many veggies as possible, no dressing, no meat, some fruit, and a bit of nuts. They add calories quickly.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It does not sound bad at all to me. You could just input all that into MFP and see what it says for calories, fat, sugar, etc. But to me it sounds just fine.
  • bugnsamsmom
    bugnsamsmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It does not sound bad at all to me. You could just input all that into MFP and see what it says for calories, fat, sugar, etc. But to me it sounds just fine.

That's what I always do!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Usually it's a vinagerette dressing. And I'll add hard boiled eggs.

I know the nuts add calories but it's hard to keep the salads interesting. I"m not a salad eater so I don't try THAT hard to keep them ultra low calorie. Just better than what I'd eat as an alternative.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfect to me! I want some :D
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me! I'm going to try this!!
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    i wouldnt have so many dried cranberries.. those are really bad for you and high in sugar... and like someone said drizzle the dressing on.. other than that it sounds good :)
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Sometimes I'll cut up an apple for sweetness and fiber
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds very good. Bacon may make it even better.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Everybody seems to be on a bacon kick!!!! Not that that is a bad thing :}
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Sounds very good. Bacon may make it even better.

Oh hell yeah.
  • davenportk83
    davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think the ingredients sound great but you really need to qualify what "alot" means:-) Just once measure it all. For me a 1/4 cup of nuts is a perfect serving.............for the hubby, not so much. He probably can eat 3/4 to a full cup just noshing.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt have so many dried cranberries.. those are really bad for you and high in sugar... and like someone said drizzle the dressing on.. other than that it sounds good :)

They are bad for you...? No. High in sugar, but nothing bad about them o.O

They have an added bonus too ;)
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You might want to limit the amount of the add on's. Though I use an unlimited about of spinach or lettuce in a salad I really monitor how many cranberries and/or nuts.

Nuts are great for you - with heart healthy fats, but, heart healthy fats and awful bad fats still have the same amount of calories. And keep in mind, nuts have a LOT of calories. So if weight loss is your goal control the amount of nuts you eat. I would also recommend trying pumpkin seeds, they are really healthy and thier odd flat shape is a great contrast in salads!!!

Cranberries are also great, with lots of antioxidants. However, dried fruit has concentrated sugar. Though this sugar is really good in comparison to refined sugars, it still makes your blood sugar go up which can make you really hungry. So just limit how many you put on.

And be careful with light dressings. Many of them contain chemicals to make them "light." Make sure it isn't loaded with sugar or salt.

I would recommend the Pear Champagne Gorganzola from Trader Joes - it is surprising healthy and totally delicious - it would also go great with those ingrediants.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Yum, I might have to try this! It sounds good to me!
  • flicka82
    flicka82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

True. Dried cranberries are loaded with added sugar. Some all-natural fruit might be a better choice.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Mmm. Sounds good! You might consider a spring mix lettuce instead of just romaine, for a few of those darker greens (and hence more calcium and other great nutrients)--or even just add a little baby spinach.

I personally would have a salad like this with almonds rather than pistachios. But yumm.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options

True. Dried cranberries are loaded with added sugar. Some all-natural fruit might be a better choice.

Sliced pear came to mind...
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I think the ingredients sound great but you really need to qualify what "alot" means:-) Just once measure it all. For me a 1/4 cup of nuts is a perfect serving.............for the hubby, not so much. He probably can eat 3/4 to a full cup just noshing.

Probably closer to a 3/4 - 1 cup of each. haha