Stupid people with GED'S

Options

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I am completely confused as to why you would be posting this here....this is myFITNESSpal, I wish people would take crap like this elsewhere!!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I got my GED October 14, 2011 .. May 22 I will be going to my graduation ..
    my mom got hers Jan 2012 .. she too, will be going to graduation

we are 32 and 57 .. my niece who is 19 is currently in classes to get her ged ..

me and mom will be going to college in August .. I am proud of the fact that I went back ..
    March 1, 2011 I decided to make changes in my life, and that's what i'm doing .. got my GED, losing weight, going to college, etc

ETA: yes it took a year b4 i joined MFP but on March 1st, I decided i needed to make a change.. even got a butterfly tattoo on my wrist, that reminds me everyday of my plan ( its black and white, to represent that i am currently coming out of my cocoon and not yet gotten my colors, even though that's not exactly how it works hahhaa)
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I am completely confused as to why you would be posting this here....this is myFITNESSpal, I wish people would take crap like this elsewhere!!

I think you'll find this is posted under the 'Chit-chat, fun and games' section of the forum, where NON-FITNESS related posts can go. If you don't like it, don't click on them.
  • momo2011Tuck
    momo2011Tuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I think you'll find this is posted under the 'Chit-chat, fun and games' section of the forum, where NON-FITNESS related posts can go. If you don't like it, don't click on them.

Thank you... I was about to say the same thing! The previous comment was just plain rude!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I can see how that would upset you and I would confront her. I would confront her on it in person or phone. not on Facebook.

Personally, I slowly back out on negative people in my life. I dont like negative people and cant tolerate them in my life.

Well said--I agree with this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but there are lots of stupid people out there with high school diplomas too. It's sad when I go to pay for something with cash, the 19 year old cashier hits the wrong button and then can't figure out how much change to give me without a calculator.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    That was pretty ignorant of her to say :(
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    Congratulations to all those who got there GED it is never too late. I am also in college and doing very well :)
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Some people will say/do anything to make themselves feel better about where they are in life. You might want to consider distancing yourself from her because she obviously isn't the most positive person.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    I didn't know what a GED was.... does that make me even MORE stupid?
    Definitely never too late for an education. And I think this person clearly proved who the 'dumb f**k' was by posting that status.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    $5 says that friend of yours would fail the GED exam.

^This!

No but seriously, I would have taken offense to it as well. The only advice I feel I can give you is to separate yourself from this friend. She probably didn't do it maliciously to offend you, but that sort of negativity is not something I would want in my life, from anyone. Find the positives in life and take charge :)
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I recently had a friend who said some very ugly things, and even though i've always known she was a negative person, it wasn't until that moment that I realized how cancerous her negativity was. I did delete her immediately, but not just from Facebook, but out of my life completely. Am I sad or sorry for it, no! I'm one of those who truly believe that saying that people come into your life for a reason, season, or lifetime. It's up to you to figure out your friends purpose in your life. And also, don't fret over how long you've known her, honestly, there are no rules that say you have to keep her in your life.

p.s. the main reason you came on mfp was to better yourself. Part of bettering yourself overall is removing as much negativity as possible.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You could confront her about it but if she's that kind of person she:

A) Really thinks GED people are stupid, may apologize but still thinks you're stupid. You tell her your offended & she says something like "oh my sorry, didn't realize I hurt you" but she's still gonna be thinking "stupid"

B)What she already did ...which was pretend she didn't mean what she said & tried covering it with "it was only applicable to beyonce but not to you"

other then that I just want to point out that a high school diploma is the equivalence of a GED! Only people with proper college educations can pretend they're better than me :glasses:
  • sweetfacephoto
    sweetfacephoto Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand why that would offend you. I think you made your point in your response to her on her FB and I'd leave it at that. She definitely sounds like a negative person and a confrontation about her ignorance would probably not get you anywhere but frustrated and angry.

You can either block her feed or delete her from your friends' list altogether.
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    Okay i left high school my 2nd year the worst thing I have ever done. I had my son and 9 years later got my GED....I had friends who were the best in hs helping me study one took the test and failed it. She told me that taking that test was so much harder than anyone knows. I say to this day...I am damn proud of it and I will show my son that i had the courage to take it because of him!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    My mom teaches GED classes and tests inmates in the county jail. I'm proud of her for working with a group of people most judge as being useless... She has literally helped changed the lives of criminals by instilling the importance of getting the GED and bettering their lives.

My sister in law dropped out of her senior year of HS, while she was preggers with my nephew. She was morning sick all day long, and didn't want to bother with it all. More than 10 years later, after being at her job that required a HS diploma for 7 years, she finally got her GED (she took a brush up course and then passed without issue) and my whole family went to her graduation ceremony.

Some people, because of what's going on in their lives, good or bad, elect to do the GED instead of the HS diploma to allow for careers and opportunities. Sometimes I wish I had done that!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    :smokin: i quit my junior year in HS and i got ged shortly :glasses:
  • ebbtime
    ebbtime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't give her another thought:

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind
    and those who mind don't matter" -Dr. Seuss
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

You might want to stay out of Chit-chat, fun and games if this is how you feel. Since myFITNESSpal has provided this area for these sorts of posts...
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i think youre taking it way too personally. the comment wasnt directed towards you.