losing hair and diet

Options
13»

Replies

• alexa137
    alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    im not on any meds, i stopped phentermine oct 15 as soon as my hair started falling out! i only wash it once a week and i dont use blow dryer or flat iron, i have tried almost everything from the beauty salons and drugstores and nothing helps- i cant afford the Morroccan stuff or wen i would love to try it though
    I also have been eating more, so much more that i gained 7 lbs the past 6 weeks :(
    I got 2 inches cut off last fri :(
    still not getting any better, i hope its better soon! it has made me so depressed that I dont go anywhere!
  • alexa137
    Options
    3 months off the medicine and eating fats and protein and fiber and hair notgetting any better!Q i hope this isnt forever! i mean im stressed over it so much i will always be stressed! on top of no job no money no life, no love life and gained all the weight i lost in sept/oct very frustrating- i have spent alot of money on everything out there(except for the Morroccan Oil) its $50 a bottle and cant really afford it- ive done treatments , olive oil, egg, hot oil, deep conditioners, argan oil, redken, every brand on the market or salon so far and its still falling out,if it continues this way i wont have any by summer :(
    its so depressing, and aggravating
    i dont know what else to do
    i dont wash it but twice a week, if i blow dry i use cool button and i dont straighten curl it, but i have to wear it up EVERyday because of it looking like i stuck my finger in a light socket!
    ugh!!!!!!!
  • jwcabell
    Options
    Have you went to the doctor??? You really need to have your thyroid levels checked. If you've tried everything else, then GO TO THE DOCTOR :-). If it is your thyroid, the sooner you find out the better off you will be. My daughters hair has been permanently effected by her thyroid condition due to late diagnosis.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    this may seem slightly insensitive, but are you SURE this isnt natural shedding? what does your hair dresser say.

longer hair sheds more when you wash it, especially if your wearing it up and not brushing as much.

also, menopause can cause hair loss, i dont kbnow how old you are.

have yoou seen your doctor for TSH/FT3 and FT4 levels to be checked also your FSH to establish your current hormone levels, perhaps a cortisol level check may be worth while if stress is a factor.
  • alexa137
    Options
    its definitely not natural shedding! its so out of whack i can NEVER wear it down, haridresser says its stress etc
    im guessing also age, depression and weight gain
    its the worst hair i have ever seen or dealt with in my whole life!
    ITS disgusting!
  • alexa137
    Options
    ok so went to dr and she ordered me all the blood test, so thyroid came back normal and everything else ok9except for blood sugar and cholosterol)slighty elevated)
    6 months with no meds and still hair looks like crap! i have lost probably 40% of my hair :(
    starting to bald a little also
    going thurs to get 2 inches trimmed-so sad b/c it took me almost 8 years to get it halfway down my back!
    and probably just trimming it 2 inches is not going to help because the problem isnt the ends! its everywhere! no matter what i use or do it still looks like i stuck my finger in a socket! cannot wear it down always in bun! very dry and frizzy!
    biotin is not helping
    nothing is helping
    so depressing :(
  • barbj08
    barbj08 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try adding a lemon slice to your water. The little bit of flavor really helps.
  • alexa137
    Options
    well i did my hair count test, put hair in ziploc baggies went to my dermatologist appt and the dr said its just normal and its the shedding process(cant remember the technical term) that it may take a year or 2 for my hair to go back to normal how depressing, I think i have lost at least 40% of my hair, its not even enough to put in a rubber band anymore, sucks
    nothing will help either, no biotin, no nioxin
  • graceklein
    graceklein Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been losing my hair for years and since turning 40 it's speeding up. I've tried rogaine, nioxin, biotin, lots of hair loss remedies, chinese medicine, homeopath doctors. My thryoid was just checked ---all the tests (free T3, free T4, tsh, etc. ) all normal ranges. I have an appt. with another dermatologist in a couple weeks. hopeful for answers, but not counting on it. I'm losing hair all over my body. I don't have any leg or arm hair at all and my eyebrows and eyelashes are starting to thin out too. It sucks and no one has a clue. I feel for those of you out there who are suffering from similar situations. I wear a beautiful hair piece now that clips right in and no has any idea it's not mine. it was expensive but very worth it. Thankfully I have a wonderfully supporting husband who loves me for me and not my hair. (It's a good thing, because eventually I suspect I'll have none.) I'm still not giving up on my actual hair though. I'll keep searching and trying new things. maybe something will work for me!!! You never know....keeping the faith.