IS it true you should not eat late?

Options
13»

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    from the little bit I have read so far looking into this, it seems that the "studies" that try and prove that its fattening to eat after a certain time do not eliminate all the variables needed to make a concrete conclusion. In one they simply "followed" the eating habits of groups of people, some of who stayed up late and slept in, and others that slept normal hours. For some reason they thought this would simulate the entire populations "late night eating". Not only did they fudge that, but they didn't control the food, nor the amount of food the groups ate. They "found" that the people who ate late at night had higher BMI's, ate more calories at dinner, ate crappier food...and get this, they slept less than the normal people.

So instead of coming to the conclusion that these people were just eating crappy food in large amounts, these people(whoever they are) decided that this meant eating at night makes you fat.

Another study conducted on mice basically involved depriving the some of the mice of sleep so they could eat at a different time. I'm not sure if anyone has heard...but sleep deprivation has been linked to all kinds of craziness. Up to and including weight gain.

Someone needs to come up with a proper scientific process for eliminating variables before paying for these crappy studies. None of the ones I have looked at come even close.

Where's Tigerswords chart illustrating the direct increase in pirate population when compared with ambient temperature increase.

I think it's appropriate here =D.
    I skip breakfast every day altogether and use the calories for lunch, dinner and snacks. The majority of doctors know minimal nutritional information.
    People put on weight because of surplus, not because they eat late at night. It's correlated with eating late at night since most late night eating results in surplus.

No kidding. I was shocked my orthopedic surgeon was all for intermittent fasting, heavy lifting, and even strong coffee (after the fact...I did them all on my own lol) as means of increasing the rate of healing my right lower biceps tendon rupture. Less than 9 weeks post op I was released for full duty at work, my strength is around 90%, and range of motion 95%. No physical therapy.

The hilarious thing was he had another physician in the room during my last appointment, and the guys eyes were popping out of his face while we were discussing all of it. I heard the very animated discussion start as they walked out of the room...lol. Priceless.

Anyhow, again...I agree. Medical doctors are nearly as clueless as your average bear when it comes to nutrition and weight loss.
    http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

I think i found a decent study...oh and look it says its a myth

Leangains...is good stuffs =D.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    For me it doesn't mater when I eat. I lost 82+ pounds eating after 8:00pm. I cannot drink anything after 8:00pm though because then I can't sleep or even relax in the evening because I am up peeing every 20-30 minutes.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Calories do NOT know what time it is! :bigsmile:

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have reflux, which I do at times, then you can eat whenever you feel the need as long as you are staying at a calorie deficit.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have been told by everyone giving advice about weight loss not to eat after 8 PM. It didn't make any sense to me. Weight loss is just a matter of calories in vs. calories out. It can't matter what time of day you eat. Your body doesn't have a weight loss clock.
    agree with this:smile:
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have always been a night eater. I can eat a light breakfast and lunch, but trying to control night eating was very difficult. I saved half of my daily caloric intake for Supper and food afterwards. I lost a good deal of weight last year eating this way.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Calories do not know what time it is!! I have a bowl of cereal every night before bed . Which i have done every day since i started this journey.. i am doing great!!:wink::bigsmile:
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    please don't eat noisy smelly things like chips in the bedroom.. total turnoff.. and makes everything smell chippy.. ick

yuck

can't seem to get that through someones head.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I've heard that but I have and not had any issues with it :)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I think basically it is like how you tell kids a white lie because they wouldn't grasp the real reason, so you tell them something made up so they go 'ok, I won't do that cos a magic fairy will electrocute my nads'

Same concept. If someone is having to ask for advice and they are eating crap - if you tell them they can't eat after 8, chances are you will cut out all those crappy snacks they are likely to be having without the need to spend time explaining the concept of cals in vs cals out and all the inevitable questions that will come with it.