How Can Birth Control Pills Can Affect Weight Loss?

Options
Hi! I'm new to MFP and I have a question.

I'm currently on Zarah, which is a generic form of birth control. I'm considering going off of it (for reasons unrelated to fitness) but I'm wondering what kinds of affects going off the pill might have on my weight loss goals. Does anyone have any experience with losing weight on or off of BC? Any insight would be great!

:) Thanks

Replies

• mommy2halfdozen
    mommy2halfdozen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I usually drop between 5 and 10 pounds within a few months of going off it.
  • shellyxxxxx
    Options
    i put 7 pounds on when i first started taking the pill but it seems to have settled now, its just a case of choosing the right 1 for you x gud look x
  • numberscolors
    Options
    according to new research, birth control pills do not cause weight gain, nor does it hinder weight loss. it may even raise the basal metabolic rate in women who are obese! so, that's more calories burned per day :)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110119141901.htm
  • ameliashred
    Options
    I went on Yaz and I gained 5-7 pounds. I switched off that pill and went on Alesse and I still haven't lost all the weight.
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The latest research would indicate that birth control pills are unlikely to have a significant effect on weight gain/loss on normal weighted animals.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-01/ohs-dbc011911.php

I know you're asking a question specific to discontinue use of birth control pills, but you might assume that if going on the medication has no net effect, discontinuing use should have no effect.
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I came off BCPs back in November. My rate of weight loss has been the same as when I was on the pill. I have been assured by multiple doctors that BCPs (especially newer low does versions) do not have any influence on weight - whether it be gain or loss. I have noticed that I do retain more water the week before my period off the pill. I typically have no weight loss now the week before whereas when I was taking it I would actually lose a pound (or two!). Now I don't see any shift in the scale until mid period.

I will tell you that coming off the pill has its pros and cons. For me my skin has actually cleared up some and my periods have been shorter eventhough they have been heavier since I have come off. The biggest con is I have crazy PMS now. Mainly strong moodiness and irritability. Overall I'm happy with my decision to come off of it.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    One thing I'm fairly certain of is that if you go OFF of the pill and get pregnant you WILL gain weight... ;-)
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    well with my bcp i gained 20 lbs IMMEDIATELY almost.. so the research that says it doesn't make you gain weight is wrong, even my doc said that... but going off.. i haven't stopped taking them yet, BUT i missed a week and during that week, i lost almost 10lbs.. it maybe water weight from the extra hormones or what not.. but that was my experience with BCPs
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    according to new research, birth control pills do not cause weight gain, nor does it hinder weight loss. it may even raise the basal metabolic rate in women who are obese! so, that's more calories burned per day :)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110119141901.htm

Hmm... weird methodology! They choose to test on rhesus monkeys, because their reproductive systems are like humans'. Yet, they're not looking to test the effects of oral contraceptives on *reproduction* -- they're looking for the effects on *metabolism*!

Sure enough, there's nothing in the conclusions that addresses *reproductive* effects; only *metabolism* is mentioned!

After all, they're not looking for expected effects, but instead, side effects -- wonder why they don't look to test on subjects whose metabolisms are closest to human metabolisms?
  • cundraj
    cundraj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    im going to be a pharmacist oh so soon so ill answer this first by saying birth control pills tend to have different effects for different people. some women do indeed see weight gain..the hormones contained in the BC can cause this..which is why i'm on Aviane...which has a low dose of each of the drugs contained in the tablets. As per how it can affect your weight loss....hasnt been effecting mine at all. as long as you keep track of what you consume and your exercise id say youll be fine. what happens is the estrogen in the tab's can cause water retention as well as fat deposition...so id say i guess they could allow for more fat to be distributed but id say as long as you keep with with the diet and exericse, ect like i said about you should be finee. :)
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I gained 27 pounds in about six months when I started using birth control.* Have since lost the weight, but haven't been off birth control since.

*To clarify, I use progesterone only medicine. I used the mini-pill, then Depo-Provera, and I recently switched to Implanon. I don't think the type of birth control has made me change weight though, just the initial use.
  • namrettik
    Options
    I went on the pill a few years ago. I actually lost weight (about 10 pounds). Granted, I was exercising at the time, but it did seem to come off faster after I initially started. Even if it caused me to gain weight, the benefits far outweighed that negative (like being able to go to class again since my cramps practically disappeared!)

I think every body is different.
  • kermo06
    kermo06 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on bc for about 6 years. I originally gained about 10 lbs and no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to lose it. Regardless of what the tests say, I believe it is because of the pill.
  • dollymixsix
    dollymixsix Posts: 112
    Options
    How does it make you gain weight though? I remember a doctor once telling me it can just increase appetite, which leads to people thinking the pill made them gain weight.
  • keacey
    keacey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Now that I read everyone saying, when I went off the pills for a few months I lost about 5-8 lbs. When I went on them again I gained about the same. No significant change in my diet though.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I agree with the research that is out there proving that the pill DOES NOT cause you to gain weight. I've been taking the pill for almost 14 years now... there have been a couple times where I switched doses and have also gotten off of it for a few months then resumed.... however NEVER did I see a reduction or gain in my weight that wasn't caused by a change in my eating habits/exercise.

Maybe the birth control pill causes you to be a little more moody and have cravings- and if you are not in control of those cravings then yes, I can see how someone can gain between 5-20 + lbs in just a couple months after starting or stopping the pill. However NOTHING in the pill inherently makes you gain weight!!

Its all psychological and you start take the pill with the mentality that you need to watch what you are eating and be more cautious since you're starting a new medication.. then you will be fine. However if you start taking it, are not mindful with cravings, and begin to binge on anything and everything while exercising less- don't blame it on the pill.

Strong opinion, I know. But I have many years of experience... and have seen many friends go through this and "blame the pill". when it obviously was not the pill.

ETA: Note that this strong opinion is only for the PILL. I do believe that weight gain is related to the depo shot and arm implantation device... which is why I will NEVER get them!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    How does it make you gain weight though? I remember a doctor once telling me it can just increase appetite, which leads to people thinking the pill made them gain weight.

This exactly.

Kind of like the statistic that people who are on birth control pills are at higher risk of getting STDs... NOT because the pill causes you to get an STD (lol)... but because it tends to cause people to be more promiscuous and stop using condoms... leading to STDs!
  • brian1229
    brian1229 Posts: 28
    Options
    They bloat me. Both times I have been on them, I put on 5 pounds of bloat within a week ( I am guessing due to the hormones). Said bloat left when I went off them.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking the Pill 8 wks ago and gained weight. It is all water weight and I credit it to the hormones being all out of whack. I read that being on the pill for extended periods of time can almost put you into a premenapausal state and so when you come off your estrogen goes through the roof (pregnancy hormone) and you retain like no ones business until things level out. I think the same thing happens when you go on the pill too. I take Yaz when the hubby is not deployed it has a mild diuretic in it to help with the hormone induced water weight.

I wouldn't be looking at the "side effects" of BC specifically but the physiological effects of high/low estrogen or progestoren and that might lead you to a better understanding of what your body is doing/thinking/reacting to.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I agree with the research that is out there proving that the pill DOES NOT cause you to gain weight. I've been taking the pill for almost 14 years now... there have been a couple times where I switched doses and have also gotten off of it for a few months then resumed.... however NEVER did I see a reduction or gain in my weight that wasn't caused by a change in my eating habits/exercise.

Maybe the birth control pill causes you to be a little more moody and have cravings- and if you are not in control of those cravings then yes, I can see how someone can gain between 5-20 + lbs in just a couple months after starting or stopping the pill. However NOTHING in the pill inherently makes you gain weight!!

Its all psychological and you start take the pill with the mentality that you need to watch what you are eating and be more cautious since you're starting a new medication.. then you will be fine. However if you start taking it, are not mindful with cravings, and begin to binge on anything and everything while exercising less- don't blame it on the pill.

Strong opinion, I know. But I have many years of experience... and have seen many friends go through this and "blame the pill". when it obviously was not the pill.

ETA: Note that this strong opinion is only for the PILL. I do believe that weight gain is related to the depo shot and arm implantation device... which is why I will NEVER get them!

I completely agree! Only I have implanon, the arm implant, and it absolutely does not cause weight gain, the progesterone in it can only caused an increased appetite which you would have to act on to gain the weight. I have had no problems since getting it:) I have been on BCP and all doctors tell me that as long as you watch what you eat weight will not magically appear, accept for maybe some water weight until your body gets used to the estrogen:)