Drained And Tired

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
And I do not know if it is some deficiency in my diet, or the amount of exercise I do.
I mean, lots of people workout for an hour + everyday so I don't see why I should struggle with an hour or two a day (I cycle a lot).
But I get up and am drained and have to really force myself to do my exercise... it feels like a task lately. But I am too afraid to skip a day, without cutting my calories a lot. I notice that when I finish my exercise, I am getting light headed and find it hard just to walk around town for a bit, and I am sure it isn't meant to be this way. I don't know if this relates to the fact I have mild COPD (emphysema) and have to work considerably hard to do my cycling, but it really sucks.

I drink plenty of water, and eat enough (though I do sometimes binge and purge, still working on that one).

I just want to be able to exercise and feel great the same as anyone else.
Where is that energy and that amazing feeling others seem to get ?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    it could be overtraining or it could also be the fact that you are in a caloric defecit... or the fact that u throw up your meals.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    I don't throw up my meals, only if I binge, but I have not binged for days now and I drink rehydration fluids when that does happen. It is something I am seriously trying to stop. Outside of that, I am netting 2000 calories or thereabouts. I cycle for an hour - 2 hours most days. Hilly terrain. If not that, I do hour on stationary bike at vigorous effort. It is just a small amount of my day. But lately, I am getting all sleepy by early evening afterwards. I am worried I will end up quitting it altogether as a result, just to have some of my energy back.
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    How much sleep are you getting? Are you dealing with a lot of stress? I'm in high stress mode right now and even though I get a solid 8 hours a night I'm exhausted all the time. When life slows down a bit I feel a lot better. Do you replenish electrolytes after a purge? Not sure if that would help or not but I imagine electrolytes out of whack would really exhaust a person.
    Hope you get to the bottom of it soon :flowerforyou:
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I don't throw up my meals, only if I binge, but I have not binged for days now and I drink rehydration fluids when that does happen. It is something I am seriously trying to stop. Outside of that, I am netting 2000 calories or thereabouts. I cycle for an hour - 2 hours most days. Hilly terrain. If not that, I do hour on stationary bike at vigorous effort. It is just a small amount of my day. But lately, I am getting all sleepy by early evening afterwards. I am worried I will end up quitting it altogether as a result, just to have some of my energy back.

binging and purging can have effects on your body even on days you aren't b and p'ing. It throws off your blood chemistry and your body doesn't get back to normal immediately.

Also, the sleep habits are a big factor. you have copd. could you also have sleep apnea? Apnea can be a huge issue with your energy levels.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    How much sleep are you getting? Are you dealing with a lot of stress? I'm in high stress mode right now and even though I get a solid 8 hours a night I'm exhausted all the time. When life slows down a bit I feel a lot better. Do you replenish electrolytes after a purge? Not sure if that would help or not but I imagine electrolytes out of whack would really exhaust a person.

I have dioralyte here to make sure I replace any minerals I might lose. Obviously, ideally, I would cease the behaviour altogether, but it is proving difficult. I try and sleep 8 hours, but I tend to sleep at odd times, often going to bed at 4am and not waking til midday. I have been like this for years, however. Cannot remember the last time I went to bed by midnight. It is very hard to change a routine once I am set into it.

And thanks for your sweet reply :)
  • graelwyn
    Options

binging and purging can have effects on your body even on days you aren't b and p'ing. It throws off your blood chemistry and your body doesn't get back to normal immediately.

Also, the sleep habits are a big factor. you have copd. could you also have sleep apnea? Apnea can be a huge issue with your energy levels.

I have never checked into sleep apnea. I do not use any inhalors or the like, I seem to manage well enough without.
    I do take temazepam to sleep however.
  • eoness
    eoness Posts: 8
    Options
    I have been doing an Herbalife shake and there vitamins for the last month and feel so energized. I did it for the weight lose but am enjoying the new energy I have, plus I love the shakes!!
    Let me know if I can hook u up!! Love it!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AActon28
    AActon28 Posts: 32
    Options
    You might want to try a B vitamin complex and/or multivitamin. 3k-5k% of B vitamins tend to increase energy levels and mental acuity without the unwanted side effects of high amounts of caffeine (trembling, anxiety, follow-up crash, etc). If you decide to do this I would highly recommend talking to your physician first as high doses of niacin can cause severe nausea, which would not be an ideal side effect for someone in your situation. Good luck!
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options

I have dioralyte here to make sure I replace any minerals I might lose. Obviously, ideally, I would cease the behaviour altogether, but it is proving difficult. I try and sleep 8 hours, but I tend to sleep at odd times, often going to bed at 4am and not waking til midday. I have been like this for years, however. Cannot remember the last time I went to bed by midnight. It is very hard to change a routine once I am set into it.

And thanks for your sweet reply :)

Being exhausted makes life so difficult! Makes it harder to eat well and get exercise. Maybe a chat with your doctor would be a good idea. I'm anemic/hypoglycemic also (which I've only found out recently) so I have to make sure I get enough iron and eat often. I'm pretty good at the eating often part...not so good with iron haha