My easy substitute for pizza cravings...

Options
underthecherrytree
underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
I LOVE pizza. I could literally eat it everyday for the rest of my life! But being as I am controlling what I am eating, I found an alternative!

Ingredients:

1 whole wheat pita
low-fat marinara sauce (you can also use fat free but it tastes too bland to me)
fat free shredded cheese
toppings (I use pineapple since I LOVE pineapple pizza)

Simply rip the pita in half, and stuff the sauce and toppings inside. Microwave for 45 seconds and done! So good! Almost like a calzone but much healthier!

Pita- 170 calories, 2 grams of fat, 35 carbs
1/2 cup Low fat marinara - 60 calories, 0 fat, 12 carbs
0.5 cup pineapple- 37 calories, 0 fat, 12 carbs
1/4 cup Fat free shredded cheese- 45 calories, 0 fat, 2 carbs

The whole meal equals 312 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 61 carbs, 16 grams of protein. Not bad!

edit: If you need more protein, you can add some low fat pepperoni or other toppings:)

Replies

• jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    Protein?
  • underthecherrytree
    Options
    Protein?

16 grams of protein
  • cheryl010812
    Options
    Sounds yummy!!
  • underthecherrytree
    Options
    It is! And literally takes two minutes to make!!
  • AnteroFaria
    AnteroFaria Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes. i was just about to say this meal is lacking in protein.

Couple things I'd change to still keep this snack healthy and balanced.

Instead of whole wheat pita use Ezekiel 4:9 pit's or wraps (whole wheat, and most "brown" breads are just a market ploy to get people to think they are eating healthy, however healthier then white bread still high gluten and flour content)

And to balance it out throw some chicken strips on it or maybe some turkey if thats your thing. You should never have a meal without a sufficient protein source as that is your body's building blocks for lean muscle and skeletal tissue.
  • underthecherrytree
    Options
    If you are more of a calzone person, you can substitute the fat free shredded cheese for fat free ricotta!
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum! Always on the look out for yummy lunches.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of english muffin pizzas.

Pizza is so yum!
  • BrandiD56
    BrandiD56 Posts: 103
    Options
    This sounds yummy.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Pita bread as a pizza is great and has soo many topping options.

Try:
    Pesto for the sauce
    Add chopped chicken
    Tomatoes
    Feta cheese
    Salsa for the sauce

I just put the sauce on top of the pita bread and then the toppings. Put it in the over until the cheese is melted. Yum
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    keep
  • cbroadberry
    cbroadberry Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    mmm this sounds tasty! And so simple
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • Carolk145
    Carolk145 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You know I've known how to make alternative pizzas before...and still have never done it! What the heck am I waiting for!!!! I should keep those ingredients at work to make an easy lunch!!! Mine would be LOADED with peppers!!! Man I love my green and red peppers!!!
  • LisaR517
    LisaR517 Posts: 80
    Options
    I've also seen a portabella mushroom substituted as the crust on a personal pizza. ;)

Great idea!
  • tkhay1995
    Options
    Thank you I will definately give this a try. Sounds yummy.
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    I use Joseph's Lavash flat bread instead 100 calories.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes. i was just about to say this meal is lacking in protein.

Couple things I'd change to still keep this snack healthy and balanced.

Instead of whole wheat pita use Ezekiel 4:9 pit's or wraps (whole wheat, and most "brown" breads are just a market ploy to get people to think they are eating healthy, however healthier then white bread still high gluten and flour content)

And to balance it out throw some chicken strips on it or maybe some turkey if thats your thing. You should never have a meal without a sufficient protein source as that is your body's building blocks for lean muscle and skeletal tissue.

I looked at my mom's super healthy, low fat, whole multigrain pitas (they look great -you can see the flax and other grains...) and they have...wait for it... high fructose corn syrup. Yes they do!
  • mmv77
    mmv77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Great idea/recipe to try, I love pizza too! Low Cal and yummy with choice of toppings as we wish!
  • cinciti
    cinciti Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my ALL TIME favorite food! I too wish I could eat it everyday ALL day! But alas that is not doable. I am going to try your pizza alternative for sure! Thank for posting that!