Is dried fruit good for you?

Options
So is dried fruit really good for you? What about all the sugar, and why not eat regular fruit?

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I find it useful as a snack if I am wanting something sweet. Also, in terms of fibre, you get more of a kick in a smaller amount, which is the main reason I eat prunes everyday. In terms of keeping calories in control, I prefer fresh fruit.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i rarely eat it because of all the added sugar
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    dried fruit isnt good for you because of all the added sugars. try looking for freeze dried fruit if your looking for that sort thing but i really prefer fresh fruit :)
  • allipix711
    Options
    Like others said it has lots of sugars. I love it but stay away because it's so calorie dense I eat too much!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    dried fruit isnt good for you because of all the added sugars. try looking for freeze dried fruit if your looking for that sort thing but i really prefer fresh fruit :)

Some processed dried fruit has added sugars but a lot of dried fruit simply has the condensed natural sugars.

I like dried fruit because it is good for long term storage and is a good portable energy food for hiking. It also taste great when it reconstitutes itself in nice, warm oatmeal.
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    dried fruit isn't bad for you!!!! yeah there are sugars but its still A LOT healthier than chocolate or candy, fresh fruit is the best for of sweet snack, but sometimes dried fruit is what helps a sweet tooth

and yeah there's sugar in it, but there's sugar in fresh fruit too!!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options

What added sugar? Dried fruit has one ingredient. FRUIT. How can it be bad for you? Yes, the sugars are more concentrated, because of the loss of water, but that's why it has a smaller serving size. A cup of grapes and a half cup of raisins are very likely the same calories and sugar. Sure it's "less" raisins... because they are more concentrated.

Also, who cares about the sugar in fruit???? I mean seriously. Are you going to give up eating fruit because it has some (NATURAL) sugar in it? What about the fiber, and vitamins and minerals you are giving up. You won't find that in a protein bar.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    It's definitely goo for you but everything in moderation, it's easy to go a little overboard because they're so condensed! Also make sure you're reading the package and logging properly, a lot of dried fruit has added sugar so the calorie count will be higher.
    Most days I prefer fresh fruit, but I keep little packets of trail mix in the car for handy on the go snacks.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to the ingredients, some don't have any added sugar(s).
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options

What added sugar? Dried fruit has one ingredient. FRUIT.

In America at least most dried fruit has sugar added. I think just raisins and prunes don't?
  • anikkim0915
    anikkim0915 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have recently found that Target is carrying a variety of dried fruits. Like, pineapples, mango, apples, banana, strawberries and preaches. Each bag contains 1 serving for 90 calories. I never eat the entire bag. I normall get 2 servings out of the bag:) They are a great snack for me when I am at school:)
  • rescueapet
    Options
    This depends as what others has already said many store bought dried fruit does have added sugar such as the pineapple. However you can dry it yourself or find a natural food store that has it as it does not add sugar. Also, I found at my local flea market a person who sells dried fruit and nuts of which has no extra sugar. I was excited as they sell dried mango, papaya, kiwi, canalope, etc and there is no sugar at all on the fruit. It is a great snack and lasts longer than the fresh stuff. My daughter takes it to school so I find she eats more fruit now. It costs a bit more but it is worth it. Of course I do both as nothing beats fresh fruit.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    from personal experience: be cautious when eating some of that dried fruit. I ignorantly ate half a bag of those cherry essence prunes years ago...and my stomach felt like it was going to explode. ( perhaps because prunes make you want to go to the bathroom to begin with, but also they may have expanded. prunes are dried plums. I ate probably 12 of them. )

and don't even get me started on an activia story I have.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I dry my own fruit....NO addad sugar.
  • hadesflame
    hadesflame Posts: 95 Member
    Options

What added sugar? Dried fruit has one ingredient. FRUIT. How can it be bad for you? Yes, the sugars are more concentrated, because of the loss of water, but that's why it has a smaller serving size. A cup of grapes and a half cup of raisins are very likely the same calories and sugar. Sure it's "less" raisins... because they are more concentrated.

Also, who cares about the sugar in fruit???? I mean seriously. Are you going to give up eating fruit because it has some (NATURAL) sugar in it? What about the fiber, and vitamins and minerals you are giving up. You won't find that in a protein bar.

Right on!! I'm so tired of hearing that fruit is bad because it has sugar!! Ugh!! The other nutrient benefits outweigh the sugar content. As with everything else, it's all about serving sizes.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    "good" is a relative term. "good" for weight loss? it depends how much you eat. "good" in terms of nutrients? yes its good for you.