Too much protein!?!?!?

Options
Okay, every since i started this thing, i have still had way too many proteins according to MFP. Everything else is at a good level and i am at or just below (never over) on everything else. I am loosing weight at a very nice pace, i am just worried about my protein intake. Can you take too much protein?

I have been moving more, but i do have a desk job, and the smoky air from the fires has put my C25K program at a total standstill. I just started it and am way bumbed that i had to stop. I just want to make sure that i am not going to be hurting my chance at getting to my goal in a healthy way. And low protein sandwich ideas? The tuna at llunch and the chicken at dinner are the things that are really making my protein sky rocket. Any ideas?

Replies

• chall000
    Options
    When I started doing this 2 months ago, I had the same concern. Always too much protein, by a pretty large margin. Then my daughter changed all my settings and now I never get enough protein! I don't know who's right.
  • dwnjjugalette
    Options
    what settings did she change?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    what settings did she change?

You can change the ratios of your carb/ protein/ fat. MFP sets it pretty low if you go by their guided ratios. Just reset it under goals!
  • dwnjjugalette
    Options
    awesome! Thanks for the tip!
  • dwnjjugalette
    Options
    I just increased my protein levels by 1 level (5%) and i am on a much better level now. Thanks Jess! Thanks Chall!
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I always go over on protein & have never had any adverse reactions. I don't care about it because I do workout every day & protein is a good source of energy.

If it bothers you seeing the negative #'s for protein you can adjust your food settings and change the ratios of fat, carbs & protein.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No problem!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My protein runs high too... I bumped it 5%. I figured that was ok since I eat all lean meat. I don't eat red meat.
  • dwnjjugalette
    Options
    same here, tuna, chicken and occasionally turkey, and the poultry is all light meat when i can. really the only meat i eat anymore. I live with a vegan (who is also a nutritionist) so it kind of limits my meat selection, but she is fine with the roommates eating white meat, but cooking red meat still is just too much for her and i totally respect her on that.
  • mumoftwo
    Options
    My personal trainer, who signed me up for this site yesterday, changed my settings, and more than doubled my protein intake, decreasing my carbs substantially. I am doing a lot of exercise, under their guidance, and that is what they want me to do, to build my lean muscle mass.

The last 2 days I haven't come CLOSE to meeting my protein requirements. I am going to need to take a protein supplement... crazy, isn't it?
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I changed my ratios a few weeks ago to 40-30-30 and yes I had to start using protein powder in my smoothies and for scrambled eggs I now eat 1 whole egg plus 2-3 whites. It's really hard at first but it has been getting easier, and I feel great!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    what i heard is your body flushes the extra protein out me im uselly under the protein level