Only one serving of nuts per day???

Options
ouandi
ouandi Posts: 135 Member
I met with a new trainer who told me 2T of peanut butter in the morning and 5 pecan halves at lunch were too much nuts for one day and that I should stay at one serving per day. This was due to the high number of total fats. What's your opinion on this? I still stay at my total calorie intake for the day.

I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to eggs so I mainly eat nuts, meats, and lactaid milk (and some hard cheeses that don't upset my stomach) for my proteins.

Thanks!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This person knows nothing about what true dieting is.
    Ditch him.

On rest days I have up to a cup of nuts with lower carbs and on lifting days like today I have lower Fats and higher carbs.

Is the PT skinny fat?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Oh and if this person has you touch a machine or do isolation work you need to run very fast to the next good gym and look for a squat rack and the deadlift boys!
  • all4derby
    all4derby Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree with everything Helloitsdan is saying. Unfortunately there are so few really good trainers our there with real knowledge - I've found ONE in the six or so I've hired over the years.

I don't claim to be a nutrition expert, but I treat one calorie just like any other calorie and it works for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Trainers generally know very little about nutrition, and that advice pretty much confims it.
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well a peanut isn't really a nut so you could technically argue that you are only consuming one serving :) To be honest I kind of agree you should watch your nut intake but not because of overall fats. Nuts consist primarily of omega-6 fats so unless you are eating plenty of omega-3's to balance out the ratio, you should probably limit consumption to only a few times a week. If you are consuming plenty of omega-3's or taking a supplement I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Well a peanut isn't really a nut so you could technically argue that you are only consuming one serving :) To be honest I kind of agree you should watch your nut intake but not because of overall fats. Nuts consist primarily of omega-6 fats so unless you are eating plenty of omega-3's to balance out the ratio, you should probably limit consumption to only a few times a week. If you are consuming plenty of omega-3's or taking a supplement I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Tru dat. The real culprits are grain oils that have replaced more natural choices and cereal grain in general.