How long was it for you?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    if its working for you then that's gr8,
    I'm staying on between 600 and 900 calories a day Nett as per my doctors recommendations,
    people tell me all the time its not enough but I am sticking to Doctors advice.
    I have plenty of energy and i'm losing weight steadily.

I would suggest a new doctor, at least a second opinion for a dietitian or nutritionist.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    sorry your misunderstood i am making this a life style change i understand that and diets do not work i have been there i have only lost that amount because i am very much over weight at 249 and the first few weeks it is expected to see more weight loss than the weeks to come.

i just was curious to see how others are doing and how they are doing it :)

I started where you are and have lost 45 lbs since Jan 1, 2012. Everyone is different, but when I went under 1200 calories I stopped losing and was pretty cranky. I now follow the 1200 calories on MFP, and do eat my exercise calories. I do cardio 6 days a week, and strength training 2 days per week. I was losing about 3-4 lbs and week, but I am now pretty steady at about 1-1 1/2 per week. I went into this knowing it would take at least a year to lose all the weight. Just keep that in mind. Frustrations will come, just look past them and move forward! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Today is my 110th day on MFP and in this weight loss journey and I have lost 59 lbs so far.

My approach is a little different then yours. I eat well over 1200 cals a day, and I exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day. I eat as clean as I can and drink a TON of water. I don't take weight loss supplements at all, of follow any strict meal plan... OR even have a gym membership. I workout at home... I make up my own exercises daily and just follow through.

Congrats on your weight loss... although I will say, you may want to consider eating a minimum of 1200 cals... 1000 in daily in the long run isn't healthy and not really sustainable after a long period of time. Last thing you want is to gain it back later on.
  • samib09
    samib09 Posts: 19
    Options
    mfp told me to eat 1300 and that is what i head for but i dnt reach it, not purposely, feel free to add and look at my diary you will see that i believe i eat perfectly fine, i dnt do hard core work outs just low pace i feel good for what i am doing, i am not sticking to 1000 cal just what my intake on average has been this week :)
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 pounds in just under 4 months. I do it the slow way - eating 1370 calories a day plus my exercise calories. That way I know I can keep it up. I've been on so many fad diets this past 10 years and none of them worked, because none of them sustained me and I was unable to keep it up. What I'm doing now is slow going, but it's easy - I know I'll keep the weight off and lose some more for as long as I want to... and that's forever
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33lbs since January, about 3 1/2 mths.
    I eat at least 1200 calories per day and more if I've exercised a lot. I eat back exercise calories if I'm hungry. If I'm not, I don't. I feel great, am stronger and I have a lot more energy!
    Right now I just walk for exercise plus do my regular stuff, like mowing the lawn, other gardening, etc.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    mfp told me to eat 1300 and that is what i head for but i dnt reach it, not purposely, feel free to add and look at my diary you will see that i believe i eat perfectly fine, i dnt do hard core work outs just low pace i feel good for what i am doing, i am not sticking to 1000 cal just what my intake on average has been this week :)

You shoule be eating 1300, plus eating back what you burn from working out, if that is what MFP gave you.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    i have lost 7lbs in around 125 days of logging but have lost several inches in the process ") and people tell me it looks like ive lost a LOT more
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    I started in April 2011 and reached my goal weight in Nov 2011. I lost 39lbs and over 28 inches! :) Happy to say I've kept it off and am still working out 6 days a week. MFP had me set at 1200 cals and I stayed around there most days. This was a lifestyle change for me. I had dieted and yo-yo'd in the past. No more. I eat healthy and exercise is just part of my daily schedule now. Oh and my workout of choice was/is Turbo Fire, I love it! So much fun :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    May 2010 - Without telling anyone, I thought I'd give WW a try...what could it hurt. I was so dedicated at counting my Points. I lost almost 15 lbs in the first month. In six months, not even realizing it (I didn't own a scale at the time), I had lost 50 lbs - was a big surprise when I went shopping for new pants & had gone from a tight Size 12, to a Size 4. My profile shows 55 lbs lost, but that is going back to the most recent physical (4-6 weeks) before I started WW. My total weight loss is 60+ lbs. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I have been maintaining for a year now on MFP. Just recently I had my RMR tested & found out that I can eat 2500-3000 calories/day. This meant upping my calories from 1400-1600 to 2500-3000/day. I tried it & haven't gained at all. :smile: :smile: :smile: Don't deprive your body of the fuel & nutrients it deserves.

Friend me if you need motivation - if I can do it, anyone can do it! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • Glenruth
    Glenruth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started in November 2011 at 256lbs with a target loss of 65lbs in mind. Careful dieting and some exercise (mostly golf now the weather is getting better) now has me at 68lbs lost(187lbs). I am starting to slowly come off my diet and increase calories to around 1600 per day. Will probably settle at around 1900-2100 with a hope of reaching about 175lbs. No hurry though, just trying to change habits of a lifetime and eat more sensibly. I also try to drink plenty of water. Only problem is new wardrobe is costing me a fortune as all old clothes that are too large have now gone to charity shops or rubbish bins. No way am I going back to them. I am having difficulty accepting that I have gone from XXL to medium sizes. Can't ever see me as small but who knows.

I also find that Fat2Fit (www.fat2fitradio.com) to be very motivational with good measurment methods. Like many on this site, i did find it strange to think i neeed to increase my intake to keep losing weight but it seems to be working nicely.

Good luck to everyone, stay positive, and beleive in the new you.
  • QMHayden
    QMHayden Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day probably isnt healthy, u need to up ur intake and focus on long term changes. You will poop out if u try to maintain off of 1000 calories.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Tons of hate/concern on this thread. She didn't ask your opinion on her calorie intake. She simply asked how much weight you have lost and over what period.

Information is power:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/reference_calorie.asp

People here are a little much and tend to force their opinions/knowledge on others (even when not asked). Check out the link if you like, it gives information on calories and may provide some insight into other posters, who have the right intentions but the wrong approach.

I've lost just under 20LBS in 7 months. I have a muscular (athletic) body, I've set myself to lose 1/2 LB a week so that I can retain my lean muscle mass while shed fat. To date it has been working well as my strength has remained consistent/gotten stronger and I haven't lost my size (except around midsection and butt). My calorie intake is usually around 2500 calories a day (includes workouts) and I'm usually within 100 calories of this goal (over or under). I started out at around 190 and am now at 170.
  • cindylou_21
    Options
    Today is my 110th day on MFP and in this weight loss journey and I have lost 59 lbs so far.

My approach is a little different then yours. I eat well over 1200 cals a day, and I exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day. I eat as clean as I can and drink a TON of water. I don't take weight loss supplements at all, of follow any strict meal plan... OR even have a gym membership. I workout at home... I make up my own exercises daily and just follow through.

Congrats on your weight loss... although I will say, you may want to consider eating a minimum of 1200 cals... 1000 in daily in the long run isn't healthy and not really sustainable after a long period of time. Last thing you want is to gain it back later on.

This is what I do as well...nice to see someone doing the same thing. Encouraging.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a couple years. But I have taken several breaks during that time (stupid on my part).
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    NOT GOOD.... women need at LEAST 1200 a day (unless you are a Weight Loss Surgery Patient)... more if you are exercising... If you are serious about weight loss, then you will want to do it the healthy, and SAFE way. Listen to what MFP tells you to take in and eat back most of your exercise calories.

(You will not get many positive responses here... fair warning... your method is not safe)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 and SHOULD be exercising 4 times a week at least for half an hour but I've been lazy lately.

Anyway I've lost 40 pounds in a year and hope to lose the last 40 by this time next year.
  • QMHayden
    QMHayden Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Tons of hate/concern on this thread. She didn't ask your opinion on her calorie intake. She simply asked how much weight you have lost and over what period.

Information is power:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/reference_calorie.asp

People here are a little much and tend to force their opinions/knowledge on others (even when not asked). Check out the link if you like, it gives information on calories and may provide some insight into other posters, who have the right intentions but the wrong

I hope u c more concern than hate, to my understanding this site is about support as well.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I know this is kind of off topic, but someone brought Panera for breakfast this morning (breakfast sandwiches, yogurt parfaits, pastries, juice, etc) but I stuck with the parfait and a couple of morningstar sausage patties from home. When someone saw me, they were like, "Why aren't you eating these things. Oh yeah, you're on that diet".

I got kind of offended, and embarrassed, because to me it's more than that - it's just better eating. I think people use tones and phrases like that to feel better about justifying their choices. Maybe I'm just being super sensitive.
  • taramhouston
    taramhouston Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am now in maintenance however it took me 8 months to loose the 50 pounds I wanted to loose (Feb '11-Oct '11).

In achieving my goal I have not given up anything, taken any "miracle pills", and I have not starved myself. Here's some information that I've learned and some changes that I've made in my life:

1. Portion control: I believe this is one of the biggest reasons why people are overweight. Even healthy food can make you gain weight if you eat too much of it.

2. Moderation: You can eat any food you want as long as you practice moderation. Personally I'm a strong advocate for eating at least one delicious and unhealthy meal a week to remain sane and to avoid binging later.

3. Eat vegetables and fruits: They're low calorie and healthy.

4. Drink lots of water: Besides being healthy, replacing other drinks with water will make a huge difference if you're trying to lose/maintain weight. Sugary coffee drinks, soda, and many juice drinks contain an absurd amount of calories (not to mention fat and sugar).

5. Complete (at minimum) some exercise each week: I personally walked everyday during my lunch break, used the gym at my office (mostly treadmill and weight machines), and completed two rounds of Jillian Michael's "30 Day Shred" DVD (which I highly recommend).

Last but certainly not least...

6. Calories: 3,500 calories = 1 pound. For every 3,500 calories that you burn (or don't eat) you will lose an average of 1 pound (and for every excess 3,500 calories that you eat you will also gain an average of 1 pound). Personally I never realized that I was consuming way too many calories until I started keeping track of what I eat. MFP can help you set the correct number of calories based on your size and weight loss goals.