I understand the Protein % I need but how about carbs?

Options
Hi everyone,

This has probably been covered a zillion times but I can't seem to find an answer to my question:

I've worked out what % of protein I need based on 1gram protein my body weight in lbs minus my lean % but I'm so confused about whether I then need to worry about my carb intake for the day if my protein amount is right? Will this make any difference. Sorry to sound stupid! Many thanks

Replies

• hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get varying answers to this, but my opinion is that you don't "need" carbs, so I wouldn't worry about trying to hit a certain goal amount. Low carbers will try to keep their carbs under a certain amount, but I wouldn't strive to reach some arbitrary number.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I need carbs!! Lol!!

I actually changed my settings from 40p/30c/30f to 30p/40c/30f...and I'm loosing again and feel better and thinner!!

Too much protein was making me extra bloated..and personally I like the full feeling carbs give me...

I'm sure this isn't the popular answer but it works for me!!!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fat are Essential and you should get minimums of those, but carbs not so much, so as long as you get enough fat and protein, you can take is as many carbs as you wish to hit your caloric intake goal. This can be as little as 20 grams or as much as 500 grams, as long as you get your protein and fat in.

Fat intake should be a minimum of 0.35 grams per lb of weight. Fat has 9 calories/gram.

so as an example say you are on a diet of 1500 caloires/day, and you are 160lbs with 20% bf%, your min protein intake (to build and/or retain lean muscle, should be 128 grams (.8*160) which would be 34% (128*4/1500). Your fat intake minimum would be 56 grams (160*.35) which would be 33.6% (56*9/1500), and your maximum carbs would be the remainder 32.3% (1-0.336-0.341) which would be 121 grams.

Now if you intake was 2000 cals your max carbs would be up to984 cals (2000-128*4-56*9) which is 246 grams, but you could choose more fat or protein and keep carbs under 246.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Basically take your protein %, take 25-30% fat & what is left is your carbs.

I need carbs also, without carbs I am tired listless & moody :)

Russ
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Btwn 0 and 100% depending on which idiot replies. Everyone on here thinks they are en expert. It's almost pointless to pose a question like this to the general public. Find someone you share ideals with and ask them in private.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I like to hit 100 carbs and 150 protein. I do not worry about my fat intake because a good portion of it comes from my coconut oil.

I just looked at my macros, and it ends up being that I do 25/35/40 Carbs/protein/fat before workout calories are added.. I have been doing this for a a few months and I have lost weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Eat 2 cups veg a day and 2 fruit.
    Save 10% of your cals for something fun post workout.
  • roodledoodle
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies - I was just getting a little confused :wink: