Can someone review my food diary?

Options
I've been on here a bit more than a week. I was wondering if someone could take a look at my food diary and tell me how I'm doing?

I'm 154 cm (5'1? I think) and around 63.5 kg (140ish lbs I think).

Thank you :)

Replies

• Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Happy to do so!

It looks like you're not eating enough. Keep in mind that MFP sets your calories at 1200, but there are few reasons to actually eat that few calories. You'll want to find out what your BMR is (the number of calories you burn at rest) and eat close to that amount daily. It's up to you whether or not you eat any of your exercise calories back, but most people suggest eating about half of them back, since your body will need the energy if you are active.

If you use too much of a caloric deficit, your body will store fat, rather than burning it.
    Make sure you are eating protein and fiber-rich foods to keep you full, and drinking plenty of water. You'll be amazed how much food you can eat and still lose weight, if you fuel your body the way it wants to be fueled.
  • vsay215
    vsay215 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would add some fruits and veggies. Are you exercising?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first two posters!! Eat more!! If you continue to eat low calorie, you will be burning lean muscle, not fat. There are TONS of threads on here about BMR and eating more. Check it out! Also, add more veggies, especially leafy greens!! Not seeing much fiber.

Good luck!!
  • mcfish618
    mcfish618 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for making healthy changes while you are young! Just glanced at your diary and you have remaining calories every day I looked at it. Make sure you have calcuated how many calories you should be consuming to loose weight and eat those amount up. Seriously I tried for years to eat 1000 or under since I was in high school only to drop the weight and put it back on. It really makes a difference when your body knows you are feeding it enough, giving it the fuel it needs you wont be hungry or binge later because you are starving. I would add in more fruits and vegtables (other than just corn...lol that is my teens favorite veggie too)......because the fiber in them will make a huge difference in not being hungry and in being healthier
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing quite a bit of refined grains and starchy vegetables--white pita, baguette, toast, rice, cornflakes, digestive biscuits, white potatoes--which can make it hard to lose weight even on such a low-calorie diet. You might swap some of that out for non-starchy vegetables, protein and fat. The protein will help you maintain muscle; the fat is for fat-soluble vitamins and helping you feel satisfied instead of constantly hungry.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Here is the post that changed my entire view on eating more to lose. Been doing this for about 10 days now and my jeans keep getting looser. Let this set you free from dieting:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Oh and stay off the scale! Let the body fat and the measurements be your success. PM me if you have any questions.
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You're doing a pretty good job so far! Like the others have said, make sure you're eating enough. Other than that make sure you're getting enough protein and up your fiber. Your carbs are pretty high too - personally, I wouldn't eat bread, rice, or pasta with every meal. Instead of eating chicken and bread, eat chicken and veggies - that way you'll get some more complex carbs in your diet.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Make sure you log in EVERY THING!!!!
  • skinnysoonsima
    skinnysoonsima Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm trying to exercise more, maybe get it in at least 3 days a week, aiming for 5. And should I eat 1200 cals even if I'm not hungry, because even now getting to the 1150 range is hard enough. I just eat something even though I'm not hungry so I'm not stuck at 1000.

I think my BMR was around 1350 according to the calculator on MFP, so should I eat around that even though it's above the 1200 MFP set for me?

So protein, veggies, fruits, and more fiber. Got it.

Oh and finally, are the protein, fat and carb values that MFP set for me accurate? I usually end up going over the protein and sometimes the fiber which seems strange, because I feel like I eat more carbs, and I always have a lot of carbs left over. Should I follow it? Or what values should I aim for?

Thank you all so much for taking time out to help me.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    This site is for poeople 18 and over.
  • Amedug
    Amedug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's not looking too bad =)
    Few more fruits and veggies.
    I like the look of Sunday - that's a good thing to aim for.
    A healthy balance of carbs, protein and fibre.
    Feel free to add me or check out mine =)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are not eating enough and your macros are not correct. Your carbs are too high and your protein is way too low. Try changing this to 40 percent protein and 30 percent carbs and fat.
  • cindyhow27
    cindyhow27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    More fruits & veggies, and also more dairy - low fat yogurt, cottage cheese etc.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you're tracking Calcium and not tracking Sugar or Sodium. Those can be big for people who have insulin issues or who have water retention issues. Might want to take a peep at those. Also, you eat a good bit of ketchup - that stuff is full of sugar and salt. Perhaps you could switch it up with something else sometime. Breakfast is a big deal for some people, myself included, and I always make sure my breakfast includes protein or I end up not getting enough through the day.

Are you hungry all the time? You didn't say much on how your body feels. It will tell you some stuff.... I tried some different fasting techniques and they didn't work for me because I felt dizzy without my set meals. I'm sure it was something that would eventually work itself out, but I had to listen to what my body needed and stop pushing myself so hard. Losing weight takes a lot of time especially if you start out closer to your goal weight than say someone like me who started out at nearly 350 lbs.
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options

REALLY? This is all you have to add....nice!
  • Indy_Cent
    Indy_Cent Posts: 45
    Options
    Kevin gives it two stars because
    "... the atmosphere was horrible. No wine list at all. The waitstaff was non-existent. Over all, two stars."

I give it half a star. He's always been the nice one.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would suggest keeping a more accurate log of what you’re eating. Doing "quick adds" are ok to determine how many calories total your consuming, but there are other things like protein, sodium, fats, etc. that are not being accounted for.

You should be eating more as well. 1200 is the least, but depending on your activity level and current size, it is probably better for you to eat more than that. I started on a 1200 plan, but upped it myself to 1400. I find that I'm not hungry and have lost more weight by eating more. I do not endorse eating back exercise calories because I attempted this method for 5 weeks and actually gained weight! Everyone is different, so you have to do your research and see what works for you.

Feel free to look at my log. I am very precise about what I log, I measure everything!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've been on here a bit more than a week. I was wondering if someone could take a look at my food diary and tell me how I'm doing?

I'm 154 cm (5'1? I think) and around 63.5 kg (140ish lbs I think).

Thank you :)

You are doing fine.

You are just beggining your MFP journey.
    Don't worry at the moment on balancing your Macros (Protein, Fat, Carbs); that comes naturally later, when you have mastered keeping your calorie intake controlled.
    If you worry this early on balancing macros, you will likely lose interest. You need sucess in weight reduction first !

So for the moment, just make sure to log ALL food you eat, and try to be close to your daily calorie limit.

Once you have spent a few weeks with consistent weight reduction, then try to balance your macros, eat healthy foods, etc.

Good luck !! :flowerforyou:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options

That's all you go out of her question..
  • skinnysoonsima
    skinnysoonsima Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel fine with my current calories, sometimes have to force myself to eat like an apple or something just to get me out of the 900-1000 range.

I guess I'll increase my protein, veggies, fruits and fibre, cut back on carbs, and increase my calories and see where that takes me.