Q about barefoot running...

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
Either totally barefoot, in in minimalist shoes.

What about rocks? Sometimes I walk through my back yard barefoot, and step on a rock, and it hurts like a mo-fo. I can't imagine the pain if I was running instead of stepping lightly. And there's nowhere I run that doesn't have the occasional really rough surface, with Pennsylvania roads being totally craptacular and full of potholes and tore up pavement. Do you just have really sweet smooth areas to run? Or am I just a total wuss?

Replies

• Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    well, you can't run barefoot until you toughen your feet up silly. rocks don't bother barefoot runners. now you can go with a minimalist shoe or something like the vibram.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    'Ive never enjoyed running totally barefoot on pavement for theis exact reason, you do need to build up the bottom of your foot by working on softer surfaces first then moving up , i usually just hit the track if im going totally barefoot but just got the new balance minimus' and had no problems on the roads even with the rocks..
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The closest I've come is running on the beach, which is wonderful until plant your foot on a broken shell... I've never had feet tough enough to run barefoot - too afraid of injury and yucky looking feet!
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    minimalist shoes and also try running in grass. the inside area of a track is usually pretty nice. I thought I had wuss feet then the callouses formed
    There are groups talking about barefoot running and the form that is involved.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was worried about this when I started out, too.

I first went with a "transitional" shoe that simply had less heel and incline than my Nike Airs. I went with the Reebok Realflex, and I still wear them often, especially if I'm running a trail that I'm unfamiliar with.

That said, about a month after I was comfortable running in the Reeboks, I started experimenting with Vibram Bikilas. I started out by wearing them casually during the day, and they quickly became my favorite shoes. I wear them almost exclusively now. My feet adapted to them quickly, and I really don't mind the rocks or uneven surfaces anymore. In fact, funny that you mention it, because the other day I was out in my Bikilas walking on a very rocky path and it suddenly occurred to me how I wasn't trying to avoid stepping on anything, it was no big deal!

That said, these days I reserve going truly barefoot for the track at my oldest son's school. We live in a very urban area, and there's just too much broken glass for me to run barefoot on the roads around here.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I only run barefoot at the track when I'm running sprints otherwise I like to have good running shoes for the pavement.
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That said, about a month after I was comfortable running in the Reeboks, I started experimenting with Vibram Bikilas. I started out by wearing them casually during the day, and they quickly became my favorite shoes. I wear them almost exclusively now. My feet adapted to them quickly, and I really don't mind the rocks or uneven surfaces anymore. In fact, funny that you mention it, because the other day I was out in my Bikilas walking on a very rocky path and it suddenly occurred to me how I wasn't trying to avoid stepping on anything, it was no big deal!

Yes! I love my Bikilas and they have enough sole that rough surfaces are not a problem. Even better, since there is no heel, you're less likely to twist your ankle on uneven surfaces since you have nothing to fall off of! If you switch though, do so very, very slowly because there are all kinds of muscles in your feet and shins and calves you never knew you had....
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've been trying out the Saucony Hattori barefoot shoe and so far so good. You have to get used to them though, especially with your calves because you have to strike on the forefoot. I ran my first 5K in them this past Saturday, paced my wife so I went a bit slower than my usual 5K pace, and they felt pretty good.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    No barefoot/minimalist running for me, unless it is just for a very short distance. I need a lift due to my leg length difference, and that's not going to work in a minimalist soft shoe.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My Merrell Pace gloves have allowed me to run again. With my hip injury, I'll probably never be a distance runner again but I'll take what I can get.
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm too paranoid about a stray piece of glass to go "true" barefoot when running. I wear Vibram Bikilas for running and everyday use, and a pair of Vibram KSO Trek shoes for my day job.

As is mentioned everywhere, ease into it. Your feet will toughen up over time. Once you become used to it, and your muscles toughen, you won't notice the rocks even if you're strolling across a gravel parking lot.