I think I can, I believe I can, I KNOW I can!!

Options
Hi Everyone!

My name is Shannon and I am so ready to lose this weight!! I moved to California from Virginia eight years ago for my second marriage. The complete difference in cultures and the stress of stepparenting has taken its tole on my health mentally, spiritually and physically. I have put on 35 lbs and don't even recognize myself anymore!

I am now ready to change!:bigsmile: I realize that I need a lot of support, as trying to shed pounds on my own has repeatedly failed.

Any advice for sticking with it when your goal seems so far away would be greatly appreciated!

I am traveling to St. John in January and just want to be okay in shorts--bathing suit confidence would be stupendous-but I can't see it at the moment.

This site was recommended to me and wow! I love it so far!

Replies

• Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Hey Shannon! You made a good choice to come to this site, I really like it here myself. This is definately a wonderful place to find support. As for sticking with your goals, try not to look at losing 35 pounds all at once, but put it into mini-goals of like 5 to 10 pounds at a time and make sure to reward yourself (just not with food) for your accomplishments. This site has a lot of great tools - make sure to use them and I'm sure you will reach your goals! Good luck!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    You can.. You really really can! Get serious and stay focused. Remember to use the site everyday. Log before you eat and it will help you make better choices. Eat fresh, it's cheaper and way more better for you. And know what you're putting into your body. Good luck hunny!
  • steinbergshal
    Options
    It can also be really good to make yourself some mini goals that are not about the scale numbers. For me it was really great to buy a cute shirt that was only 1/2 to 1 size smaller than I currently wear. Each month I try it on, and when it actually fits one day, I feel like a superstar.

Another one is more about how much I can do in exercise before I get tired. Just try adding a minute or two to your routine each week and it can really add up.

Looking at your total goal is often overwhelming, so plot yourself a course of small things that allow you to feel progress. When I started off, the concept of how much I had to lose made me want to cry, now I am 2/3s of the way to my initial goal.

Good luck and I know you can do it!:wink:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • shannie_lou
    shannie_lou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you! These are GREAT ideas! I admire you so much for your percerverance and determination!!!
  • shannie_lou
    shannie_lou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I want to be serious about it for sure! I am logging every day (okay so it's only been 4 days) and you are right it makes a HUGE difference!!!