am i cheating by counting cooking and cleaning as cardio?

Options
my life has been so hectic lately and I've been dealing with a recurrent sinus infection. I haven't worked out in weeks!!! I feel crappy, but I'm really trying to stay in my calorie range. So far, I've been pretty good about it (considering my history). That being said, I've been counting my cooking and cleaning as cardio. I'm trying any way that I can to keep my motivation up to continue counting. I keep thinking that this is cheating. Does anyone have any insight on this? Am I cheating or does this seem accruate?

Replies

• 12gaswint
    Options
    I always feel the same way about if I put down calories for when I'm at work! I'm pretty sure that'd be fine, though, because afterall, moving around and cooking in the kitchen is moving around, and you are burning calories. Whenever I add that to my daily count (likewise, to feel like I'm not a terrible person hahaha ) I always try to put it a bit lower than what it might be, so then I still feel as though I need to hit the tredmil or take the dog on a walk.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this as well. :)
  • ladyfacehead
    ladyfacehead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know from experience that just counting ANYTHING helps keep up motivation. If I stopped counting - i would lose all track and then just give up.

I think its fine to count cooking/cleaning as cardio - just not too much! its not the same as running a mile - but you are definitely moving! Maybe make it fun (and more cardio) by dancing while cooking and cleaning!

Just don't lose motivation and if counting is what helps you do that the GO FOR IT!!

Good Luck!!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Only you can know that, really. On Saturday I cleaned the whole house (2 levels) switched out all the clothes for our family (5 people) from winter to summer, tons of laundry and climbing up to the attic - I logged it because it took 4 hours (I only counted half the calories it said) and I was WIPED out after, I had exercised.

Now last night, I did the kitchen, but it was 15 minutes and I didn't feel like I had done anything, so I didn't log it. If you honestly feel like you've worked out, log it. If you haven't, don't.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. i count it as a little "extra" bump that i dont record. others include it when they chose how active they were on mfp and others do use cleaning.. i havent personally seen cooking but i dont have like a 2500 square foot kitchen so im not walking around all that much. :-) have you gone to the dr about your sinus infections? if they keep recurring maybe there is an underlying problem you could be working on
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on how hard you work when you're cleaning AND what you set your activity level to when you signed up. If your calorie goal is based on being sedentary, then log everything!
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I'm just doing a quick kitchen clean-up or dishes or a load of laundry, I don't count it, but I moved about 6 weeks ago and definitely counted all of those hours....cleaning, packing, moving furniture, etc. It added up and I was wiped out after 4 hours of cleaning and packing and did not have the energy to keep up on my gym time for those 5 days or so.

I think it's up to your interpretation and judgement. Do what is right for you.
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree with @ladyfacehead! Everything counts and if your up and moving then I say ADD IT. Spice it up a little by turning on the radio and dancing. My sons hates it but when I have a little free time between cooking I make him come and dance with me. Sorry to hear about you sickness....keep your motivation.
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    It's all about what you want! I don't usually log cooking because I don't do much moving around, but sometimes I log cleaning. If I'm deep cleaning a room, definitely. If I clean the rat cage, certainly, because that's a lot of ups and downs and moving around. I know a lot of people on the site consider this "cheating," but it's not their decision! It's not a competition, so why should they care what you put in your journal?
  • lasiac
    lasiac Posts: 1
    Options
    IT GETS TIRING BUT I MANAGE BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY I KNOW IMMA BE SUCCESFUL
  • I think it can be cheating. I think it would also depend on what you listed your activity rate on MFP. If you listed it as sedentary then I think it would be okay to count it once in a while. Do you have a HR monitor? If you have one of those and you see that you are constantly keeping your HR up then I think it could count from time to time as well. I have six kids and let me tell you there are days where I wish I could trade off my 2-4 four miles and count my tons of loads of laundry per day as exercise!
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If I bust my butt at work cleaning or even doing housework for a continuous amount of time... I count it! Climbing stairs is great cardio especially if you have a 2 story house, and your laundry room is in the basement :) and vacuuming or hand scrubbing your floors too! Somedays it doesnt take as much effort so those days dont count, but the days you go crazy doing it all ... yes for sure!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You cook and clean in your normal everyday life. In my opinion, cooking and cleaning doesn't count. Especially if you're eating back your exercise cals.
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If doing so gives you motivation then it's probably OK to log some of it. Keep in mind that on your MFP settings, you should already have set your daily activity level (sedentary, moderate, etc.) so that level already takes into consideration a certain amount of these activities. Personally, I would only consider logging activities that are over and above the normal activity level for me - doing something like 4 hours of cleaning out a garage, or mowing a lawn, for example. Certainly anything that gets a sweat going and raises your heart level should be counted.

That's just my opinion, (for what it's worth)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Only you can know that, really. On Saturday I cleaned the whole house (2 levels) switched out all the clothes for our family (5 people) from winter to summer, tons of laundry and climbing up to the attic - I logged it because it took 4 hours (I only counted half the calories it said) and I was WIPED out after, I had exercised.

Now last night, I did the kitchen, but it was 15 minutes and I didn't feel like I had done anything, so I didn't log it. If you honestly feel like you've worked out, log it. If you haven't, don't.

I agree with this. One Saturday I cleaned my house top to bottom, scrubbing the bathtub, moving furniture. I must have made at least 30 trips up and down the stairs. It took me 8 hours. At the end of the day I was wiped out so I logged it because I needed those calories. I did not want to feel like I failed in my fitness when I had such a productive day otherwise. Bottom line, it's totally up to you. You know if you earned it. i did not feel the least bit of guilt for it.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    my life has been so hectic lately and I've been dealing with a recurrent sinus infection. I haven't worked out in weeks!!! I feel crappy, but I'm really trying to stay in my calorie range. So far, I've been pretty good about it (considering my history). That being said, I've been counting my cooking and cleaning as cardio. I'm trying any way that I can to keep my motivation up to continue counting. I keep thinking that this is cheating. Does anyone have any insight on this? Am I cheating or does this seem accruate?

Counting your cooking as cardio? Seriously?

I'm going to stop right there because I will get in trouble for what I'd really say.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I log anything that is EXTRA and out side of daily routine. I cook dinner and do dishes everyday so I do not count those. Once a week or so I will sweep and mop the entire hardwood downstairs and those I will count.
  • kamazza
    kamazza Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If I vacuum the whole house (three level townhome plus basement) then yes, that's exercise for me. I work up a good sweat doing it. However, I wouldn't count cooking personally. I think part of my problem before I started on MFP was using all my house chores as my exercise. I'd fall into a rut saying "well, I did laundry today and baked muffins, so that's exercise" and it wasn't enough. I wasn't losing weight and didn't feel good about myself. Now I don't use house chores (even vacuuming!) as exercise and I make my butt get up and move *lol* that's just me though :)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I only clean my house once a week (that is on weekends when I am not so exhausted from work) And seeing how it is only me, it does not really matter. When I do it though, I am cleaning for at least an hour. Then usually on to my yard work. But because I do not do it everyday - yes I do count it.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask it's probably cheating
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I think your weight will tell you if you are cheating or not.

If your weight is not decreasing to the goals you set, then yes you must be cheating(be it over estimating the exercise or under estimating the calories)