Quiting smoking

Options
13»

Replies

• Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    My husband and I quit two months ago. We've been saving the money that we would have spent on tobacco each week for a short trip to Paris in July. It's because I want to look good for that trip that I ended up on here (well that, and a friend who told me to check out mfp). I probably won't lose as much as I'd like before July but I'm so happy to be getting myself in shape AND not smoking.
  • hollyrunner
    hollyrunner Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 21 years ago; I still dream that I'm sneaking a smoke and get caught. I absolutley don't want a cig and can't stand the smell of smoke on anyone. I had a hard time quiting...I stopped all the non-thinking routine cigs one by one; after dinner, playing cards etc. Quiting smoking was one of the smartest thing I've done. I use it as a positive with losing weight as losing weight. I tell myself "If I could quit smoking than I can totally do this!!" SO CAN YOU!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    WTG Tim! I quit on October 17th last year, so it's been a little over 6 months. I didn't think I would ever quit for good. The first time I quit was when I just turned 30 (I'm now 64). Since the first time, I have quit AT LEAST 100 times. The longest before now was a few months. Something is different this time. I know I won't be smoking again. Before, I always had this "thing" in the back of my head that I would be able to smoke again... there was always anticipation for when I could do it again. This time I didn't have that feeling. The first 2 weeks were pure hell, but each week after that has gotten easier. Now, when I get the urge, which is seldom, I just wait it out for about 5 minutes and it goes away. The first few months I had a list I had prepared before hand. It was a long list of 5-10 minute activities I could do when I got the urge to smoke. The list had every choice I could imagine. Anything from play a game of solitaire on the PC to walk around the block. I had tried every method before that. Pills, patches, supplements, acupuncture, hypnosis... all wasted money. The only way to quit for good is cold turkey. Some people succeed with the crutches, but most fall down when they get rid of the crutch. I smoked so long, if I am prone to cancer of any kind or lung disease (COPD), I will probably still get it eventually. But, so far, I have been lucky not to have already died of any smoke related disease.

To anyone considering quitting: Do it! After the first 2 weeks you will feel fantastic! You will be energized and happy. Below is a list of short term through long term benefits quitting has.

Edit: Also, if you quit, you don't have to worry about offending anyone with your odor. I spent lots of money on breath mints and fabric spray and constantly had to worry about after smoking in the car and I had to go into a store or appointment that I would smell of nicotine (which I surely did). It's a big relief just not to have to worry about that stuff any more. And, you don't have to go outside in the cold an rain to smoke... there's a bunch of other immediate benefits.

Smoking cessation timeline – the health benefits over time

In 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse rate decrease, and the body temperature of your hands and feet increase.
    Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen. At 8 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood decreases to normal. With the decrease in carbon monoxide, your blood oxygen level increases to normal.
    At 24 hours, your risk of having a heart attack decreases.
    At 48 hours, nerve endings start to regrow and the ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
    Between 2 weeks and 3 months, your circulation improves, walking becomes easier and you don’t cough or wheeze as often. Phlegm production decreases. Within several months, you have significant improvement in lung function.
    In 1 to 9 months, coughs, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease as you continue to see significant improvement in lung function. Cilia, tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs, regain normal function.
    In 1 year, risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack is reduced to half that of a smoker.
    Between 5 and 15 years after quitting, your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
    In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer drops. Additionally, your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decrease. Even after a decade of not smoking however, your risk of lung cancer remains higher than in people who have never smoked. Your risk of ulcer also decreases.
    In 15 years, your risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack in similar to that of people who have never smoked. The risk of death returns to nearly the level of a non-smoker.
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    It's not from smoking, it's from diseases that one is more prone to contracting due to the smoking. Like diabetes, in particular.

I quit, but I wasn't really a smoker. It was easy for me, though I did use Chantix for the first 2 weeks. That helped put the cravings right out of my mind. After 2 weeks, the crazy dreams from the Chantix were keeping me from getting any sleep, so I quit the pills but still had no cravings. I've never really been addicted to smoking. Not chemically. For me, it was more of a social/emotional thing. I ENJOYED it. Especially with my wine.

My husband is having a harder time, though. He quit and then went back to cigars instead. Problem is, he inhales the cigars. Yuck. He says he's going to pick a date to quit those too. I hope so, but I can't ask him about it. When he's ready, he'll quit.

That's what it boils down to, I think. No one will quit until they really want to.

Wow, same here with the behavioral addiction and Chantix. I'm only on week 3 now and have occasional behavioral cravings but not chemical ones. I worry that this can be even worse long term, because I have quit smoking 3 times now. I think because you know it isn't SOO hard to quit it is easier to slip up. Right now I'm focusing on how bad they smell to keep away. I'm doing weight loss/butt kicking at the same time and I wonder if it is contributing to my frustrating plateau I'm on right now. Lucky for me, I recognize that exercise makes me feel better emotionally and physically, even if it doesn't contribute to pounds lost each week.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Good job & props to you for quitting!!!

I wish I had the will power to quit. I know I will someday. I've gotten into running & will be doing my first 5K in July so I'm hoping that I become addicted & decide to quit so I can better my running. :)

Edited to add: Become addicted to RUNNING. Lol we already know I'm addicted to the cigarettes.

You can do it!! I never thought I would be able to quit but once I did and stuck to it I was glad for it. You will have much better stamina when your running once you decide to let it go. Good luck to you!!!!

OMG yes! I noticed a HUGE difference, and I'm able to put sooooo much more into my workouts and burn more calories! It's great!
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've quit several times. I'm ready to give it a go again. I even was off cigarettes for 10 years at one point. Then a job change and new environment prone to smoking and I was hooked.
    This time with diet and exercise I'm finding I don't enjoy smoking as much. I also purchased (and read once) "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr.
    I'm going to start reading it again. It made sense the first time around, it just didn't click for me. This time I am determined. I not prepared to be tied to any kind of breathing apparatus in my retirement. I want to be smoke free and enjoying every minute of my life.
  • chipvb
    chipvb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about a year and a half ago and am so glad I did. I won’t lie, it was hard, and I had tried many times, but I made it eventually.
    Since quilting my life is gotten so much better. Quitting smoking was just the first step in a series of good choices. I now exercise regularly, eat better, and live a much better happier life.

I would tell anyone that is thinking about quitting smoking it is well worth it but it is up to you and you have to be ready. No matter what method you choose, if you’re not ready to quit in your own mind, you’ll find some reason to have “just one”. Even though there are physical withdraws, I found the “mind games” were the worst part of it. If you’re committed and dedicated though you can make it past them and they eventually fade away.
    Bottom line is if you’re ready, make up your mind and start today.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'situational' smoker..........I smoke when I have adult beverages, I smoke in the evenings, and I smoke when I'm super-stressed (but not always.)

When I was with my 'x', he "made" me quit - as soon as I left him, I started out big time smoking again. It was a rebellion thing, and I've since begun the struggle to stop.

About 3 years ago, I decided to start quitting - and started with the morning cig. I was able to conquer that, and very rarely have a morning cigarette. Then I quit during my lunch break, and I almost NEVER have one then.

But the evenings and weekends are harder. I would say I smoke less than a 1/2 a pack a day - some days, not at all! I just can't quit yet.............I guess I really don't want to.

But I will. I know me, and I have to be ready...................I didn't want to lose weight, either, and 8 months in, I've lost over 20 lbs. So, it will come, in due time.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
  • vhines57
    vhines57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    <New Here>

I smoked for just over 20 years and have been cigarette free for 3.5 years, by using an electronic cigarette...

I decided to try it one day and haven't needed a regular cig since. My mom smokes for over 55 years and was able to quit cold turkey with them too. We started off with a stronger nicotine liquid and have gradually decreased it. I still use the ecig, but no more nasty chemicals or smell that I had with regular cigarettes :)
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 months ago, love that I can run now when I could barely walk up my driveway without being winded. So worth it! My husband and I quit the same time so that made it easier and slightly painful during the first week because we were so short with each other. I used/use an electronic cigerette called the Joyetech and I love it...huge fan! It's not the same, nothing ever will be BUT you still get the sensation of smoking and nicotine, if you need it. We started at 24 mg and we are down to 18mg now. I know many people see this as cheating but I didn't gain the 10 to 15 pounds my doctor told me to expect when I quit, infact I have lost 26 pounds total, 13 of which are due to MFP. If you can quit cold turkey, good for you, awesome willpower, but I needed help and if anybody out there is trying to quit and worries about gaining weight, I would recommend buying a Joyetech electronic smoke, we got ours at www.route66vapor.com. It is worth it, to be smoke free and smell nice. And its nice to be able to run again. Just my two cents anyhow, good luck to anybody out there that wants to quit. YOU WILL FEEL AMAZING!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I quit the day after my 30th birthday, October 11 is my anniversary. It will be 4yrs this year. Glad I did it, but every GREAT once in a while, I will get a craving. Especially during super stressful situations at work. Ironically, I am a nurse and am supposed to be the example to my patients. My husband still smokes. I "tease" him regularly about his smell after smoking. If I have had a patient with end-stage COPD or some other nasty smoker complication- I embellish a bit. But, I also know how hard it is to quit. Tried soooo many times before. So it has to be on his time. As far as the missing limb commercials, I haven't seen them, and have yet to see any patients who have lost limbs soley because of smoking, though I'm sure it is possible. I have diabetic patients with amputations and am sure that some of those people had their problems exacerbated by the smoking habit.

Congrats to all of us for quitting!! We get to breathe better and live a little longer. God willing. :flowerforyou:
  • kristen5231
    Options
    You guys are awesome and inspiring! When I first started this journey in Jan I quit smoking the same week. How stupid of me! By day 4 i was dying! I was crying every 30 min (my job didn't help with that) plus new diet, I couldn't handle it. At first I just limited it to when I drove to and from work. But I live alone in a house that is ALL tile and no venting so I can get rid of the smoke smell real easily and thus tend to just sit at home and smoke. I have crept back into my old habits. Sad thing is I really don't have a desire to stop right now. I'm in a depressive state lately and unmotivated in my diet and in my habits. I'm trying to snap out of it but it's really hard this time. I'm not gaining weight so I think I'm just trying to skate by, but I'm not losing either!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 20 years ago when my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. Watching her waste away in a hospital bed was very difficult and I made the decision that I didn't want to put my family through that for something that is more or less self inflicted.

For all of you struggling with quitting all I can say is keep it up, even if you put on a few pounds (I sure did! - food is so good when your mouth doesn't taste like an ashtray) the health benefits are significant. Moreover, you won't be exposing your children to second hand smoke.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 days ago and I am ready to stab someone in the throat!!!! :devil:

I would give my left arm to have a smoke right now........but ...... I WONT DO IT!! :explode:

this is the hardest thing I have ever done, and I have beat the crap outta cancer TWICE!!

I know what you are going through. That's why the only way I could quit was with the patch. Are you going cold turkey?

Using Chantix. it keeps the craving for nicotine away, but the rest of the habits are dying hard!! :sick:
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm on my journey now, it's my third attempt, but this time I have been using Paul Mckenna CDs.

It's a gradual process, where it reaches your subconscious. I have been listening to the CDs every night before I go to sleep, for nearly three weeks now and in that time I have gone from 30+ per day to just 3 - 5.

I don't have a ciggie first thing in the morning like I used to. I hardly smoke at work, if at all. I don't smoke before or after the gym/zumba/yoga classes. I've been to a wedding and smoked two ciggies, and to the pub with partner/other friends and only smoked the once. The problem I am having is when I'm relaxing and doing nothing, that's when I smoke the most - if I can get over that obstacle, I'm a winner :smile:

Curiously, it's had an effect on my alcohol and caffeine intake. I haven't had a cup of coffee for a week, and when I drink, I can make a single small glass of wine last for hours, I don't crave alcohol anymore. Weird huh?

Hopefully another few weeks of the CD will get me to non-smoking. I've had a slight relapse this week, twisted my ankle and ended up with a nasty cold/fever, so I've smoked a bit more, but never over 10 cigs. I'm not going to beat myself up over it though, I'm just going to start again - I did today.

I'm going to let the CDs take on their subliminal effects gradually, and not try to force it, go with the flow naturally and with PATIENCE.
  • ladybugpix
    ladybugpix Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So happy for you! Not only did you quit, but you said it, you're entire lifestyle improved...or should I say our? :) XO
    I quit smoking about a year and a half ago and am so glad I did. I won’t lie, it was hard, and I had tried many times, but I made it eventually.
    Since quilting my life is gotten so much better. Quitting smoking was just the first step in a series of good choices. I now exercise regularly, eat better, and live a much better happier life.

I would tell anyone that is thinking about quitting smoking it is well worth it but it is up to you and you have to be ready. No matter what method you choose, if you’re not ready to quit in your own mind, you’ll find some reason to have “just one”. Even though there are physical withdraws, I found the “mind games” were the worst part of it. If you’re committed and dedicated though you can make it past them and they eventually fade away.
    Bottom line is if you’re ready, make up your mind and start today.
  • BiggTim
    BiggTim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    <New Here>

I smoked for just over 20 years and have been cigarette free for 3.5 years, by using an electronic cigarette...

I decided to try it one day and haven't needed a regular cig since. My mom smokes for over 55 years and was able to quit cold turkey with them too. We started off with a stronger nicotine liquid and have gradually decreased it. I still use the ecig, but no more nasty chemicals or smell that I had with regular cigarettes :)

Are the electronic cigarettes bad for you still? Do they contain nicotine?
  • vhines57
    vhines57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Most people use a nicotine liquid...

The liquids come in varied nicotine strengths and it's very easy to start at a higher strength and move down to zero strength. The liquids can be either Vegetable Glycerin based or Propylene Glycol based and I've never had side effects. There are also hundreds of different flavors....Everything from different tobacco & menthol flavors, to fruits, desserts and drinks. (It's actually an easy way to get my mint chocolate chip fix :wink: )

My doctor okayed them when I first quit, and he's never steered me wrong. But I tried so many times to quit smoking and was never able to...Once I started the e-cig, I never needed to go back. I breathe better....definately smell better...save a fortune in what I would have spent on regular cigs and have been very very happy with them for a long time now. :smile:

(there's quite a bit of propaganda out there about the liquid being antifreeze, but it's nonsense. The government has also come out against them, but I have no doubt that it's because they haven't found a way to tax them yet)
  • BiggTim
    BiggTim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Most people use a nicotine liquid...

The liquids come in varied nicotine strengths and it's very easy to start at a higher strength and move down to zero strength. The liquids can be either Vegetable Glycerin based or Propylene Glycol based and I've never had side effects. There are also hundreds of different flavors....Everything from different tobacco & menthol flavors, to fruits, desserts and drinks. (It's actually an easy way to get my mint chocolate chip fix :wink: )

My doctor okayed them when I first quit, and he's never steered me wrong. But I tried so many times to quit smoking and was never able to...Once I started the e-cig, I never needed to go back. I breathe better....definately smell better...save a fortune in what I would have spent on regular cigs and have been very very happy with them for a long time now. :smile:

(there's quite a bit of propaganda out there about the liquid being antifreeze, but it's nonsense. The government has also come out against them, but I have no doubt that it's because they haven't found a way to tax them yet)

Ok I see. Well good luck with those, they seem to be better for you than cigarettes.