What size weights should a guy use for 30 Day Shred?

Options
Hi there MF-Pallers!

I love Gillians DVDs and have been trying to get my OH to start 30 Day Shred, but he always says 'Nooo it's for girls'.

With only 38 days till our holiday (yes im on count down!) he's decided from Monday he's going to give it a go!

Can anyone suggest what size weights he should use for the workouts?

Hes a tradesman so hes not exactly got weady arms anyway but he doesnt got to the gym or do weights or anything, so im really not sure and were going to have to buy some this weekend!

(And i dont think a can of beans will be heavy enough- like when i first did the shred lol)

xx

Replies

• clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    Options
    hmmm, I would think you will probably need 3 sets, 15 lb, 20 lb and some 30 lbs. he will have to change them out during the workout because he will benefit alot more from doing a 30 lb curl, but then will probably need the 15's on the shoulder raises. and 20's would be could for the chest. just my opinion, lol. I do 30DS and love it and just moved my weights up to 5, 10's and 15's and switch out.
  • clairabell2024
    Options
    Thank You! Sounds expensive, i hope he sticks with it!

I wonder if theres any household items what he could use instead at those weights?!

x
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't treat 30ds as a bodybuilding program for men, it's a fat burning cardio workout really. So trying to max out your bicep curls on an aerobics dvd would be silly. I used 10lb weights and found it challenging as an aerobics workout.
    The benefits come from fast paced compound moves. It would also be pretty dangerous on your joints heaving heavy weights around at the speed needed in the dvd.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I would think you will probably need 3 sets, 15 lb, 20 lb and some 30 lbs. he will have to change them out during the workout because he will benefit alot more from doing a 30 lb curl, but then will probably need the 15's on the shoulder raises. and 20's would be could for the chest. just my opinion, lol. I do 30DS and love it and just moved my weights up to 5, 10's and 15's and switch out.

Should that read 1.5lb, 2.0lb and 3.0lbs?

30lbs is over two stone, that's like curling a toddler =s I use 1.5kg (3.3lbs) and they're pretty heavy for the moves she gets you to do, I'd think a guy would only want to go up to 2 or 3kg tops to avoid muscle strain.
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    For a guy, I wud say 10lbs, thats what my hunny uses to warm up....and those are my weights...LOL
  • clairabell2024
    Options
    By no means is he intending to use the DVD for body building purposes lol its to try a 'shred' a layer of fat!

x
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't treat 30ds as a bodybuilding program for men, it's a fat burning cardio workout really. So trying to max out your bicep curls on an aerobics dvd would be silly. I used 10lb weights and found it challenging as an aerobics workout.
    The benefits come from fast paced compound moves. It would also be pretty dangerous on your joints heaving heavy weights around at the speed needed in the dvd.

^^^ exactly this!!! You shouldn't be "maxing out" like you would with a body building program - you could HURT YOURSELF if you tried to do that with the 30DS
  • clairabell2024
    Options
    For a guy, I wud say 10lbs, thats what my hunny uses to warm up....and those are my weights...LOL

WOW, you use 10lbs weights, christ women you must be packing some serious lady biceps! haha! Kudos to you!

So are we thinking 10lbs weights? Oh im confused!

x
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    my husband tried some of the moves with his 5kg weights that seemed to be alright for him, but he's not too coordinated so some of the moves like pendulum lunges gave him problems and he didn't so so many.

*edit 5kg = 11lbs (more or less)