Knee Pain - Help! :(

Options
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I didn't have time to search the message boards. I have constant knee pain and it's killing me. :( It makes it hard for me to work out. I danced (ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, you name it, I did it) for 18 years and as a result of that (dancing several hours a day, 6 days a week) it has taken a toll on my body. I have bad hips which don't bother me too much but it's my knees that really hurt me. I started running religiously last spring and since then have completed several 5K's, 10K's and even a Ragnar Relay Race. I did, however, pay for it afterward. My knees hurt after every single run or race. When winter rolled around, I started slacking on the running and am now trying to get back into shape. I haven't been running as much (because it's been hurting so bad) but have been walking on the treadmill during my lunch hour here at work at a 15% incline at about 3.5 MPH for 20-25 minutes and then doing strength training. My knees don't hurt during my work out but after they just constantly ache. They feel like they are swollen 2-3 times their size (although they're not.) I'm just not quite sure what to do. I don't want to give up up my cardio exercises because I really do love it. I can't take anything like ibuprofen because I have had stomach ulcers. I'm not overweight so I don't think it's the weight on my body; I'm 5'5" and about 130-135 pounds. (Depending on the day. :) ) Anybody have any suggestions to help with the pain?

Replies

• MSgtD911
    MSgtD911 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your first stop should be the doctor's office. Let them figure out what's going on inside your knee before you hurt it even more.
  • lindseejill29
    Options
    Your first stop should be the doctor's office. Let them figure out what's going on inside your knee before you hurt it even more.

That's what I'm thinking too. :( Thanks for your help!
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely make a doctor's appointment. An MRI should be able to help diagnose what's going on... Good luck!