any success stories on/from...LAZINESS?

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I only use my gym membership to use their scale once a week, I gave up the 30DS 8 days into it and I rarely exercise, but have lost 12lbs.

Does that count? :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I reckon it does!
  • banananisme
    banananisme Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cjm109
    cjm109 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got."

I don't know who wrote it but I love this quote....directly to the point and keeps me focused.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    I started working at home and turned into a sitting eating do nothing. Working at home can be the best thing or the worst thing for you. For the first 5 months, it was definitely bad for me. I would wake up, not eat, sit in front of my computer for hours (working...really) and then eat. Then I would have coffee...work some more, then make dinner and sit in front of the tv until I went to sleep. I gained 30 pounds in 5 months doing that. Not a good look for me. Since no one I know had seen me day to day- my trips back to my home state were really embarrassing for me. Finally when depression hit, I said, well, I can either give up and end up rolling around in a walmart electric cart bemoaning my existance, or I can do something to get myself out of this. My recliner is currently falling apart, and my husband and I were going to buy a new one. Instead, he went out and got me an elliptical and set it up for me while I was out one day.
    I find that I wanted to work out less often when I had a gym membership. Now that I have the stuff I need at home, there are no excuses. I mean, it isn't hard to walk into another room and get on the elliptical for 30-45 minutes. If I have an excuse for it then I might as well have just burned the money I spent on it and call it a day.
    Working at home which was once an awful way to let myself go has become a period of healthy hermitage I guess. Now I have months before I will see anyone I know, and the next time I do, I know if I work hard enough I will be a LOT thinnner than last time. I have been keeping my progress quiet for that exact purpose. It is kind of exciting.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I started working at home and turned into a sitting eating do nothing. Working at home can be the best thing or the worst thing for you. For the first 5 months, it was definitely bad for me. I would wake up, not eat, sit in front of my computer for hours (working...really) and then eat. Then I would have coffee...work some more, then make dinner and sit in front of the tv until I went to sleep. I gained 30 pounds in 5 months doing that. Not a good look for me. Since no one I know had seen me day to day- my trips back to my home state were really embarrassing for me. Finally when depression hit, I said, well, I can either give up and end up rolling around in a walmart electric cart bemoaning my existance, or I can do something to get myself out of this. My recliner is currently falling apart, and my husband and I were going to buy a new one. Instead, he went out and got me an elliptical and set it up for me while I was out one day.
    I find that I wanted to work out less often when I had a gym membership. Now that I have the stuff I need at home, there are no excuses. I mean, it isn't hard to walk into another room and get on the elliptical for 30-45 minutes. If I have an excuse for it then I might as well have just burned the money I spent on it and call it a day.
    Working at home which was once an awful way to let myself go has become a period of healthy hermitage I guess. Now I have months before I will see anyone I know, and the next time I do, I know if I work hard enough I will be a LOT thinnner than last time. I have been keeping my progress quiet for that exact purpose. It is kind of exciting.

WOW!!!! This is really deep and I'm proud of you and the changes in your attitudes and habits--WTG and keep up the good work!!! Your reply reminds me of this funny but thought provoking/warning pic:

624a9c34.jpg
  • zumbamommaof4
    zumbamommaof4 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well said!!!! BUMP!!!
  • saturnine15
    Options

WOW!!!! This is really deep and I'm proud of you and the changes in your attitudes and habits--WTG and keep up the good work!!! Your reply reminds me of this funny but thought provoking/warning pic:

624a9c34.jpg

Thank you very much. And yes, the picture is accurate. I still am chained here all day long....but I find walking around afterward or just getting on the elliptical for a few minutes (not workout speed...just to get some motion) really helps with my attitude.
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am reading an amazing book right now called "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. A friend loaned it to me. It sat on my table for months. I'm in a major self improvement mode right now and was thinking the book was going to be preachy and make me feel bad for not doing enough as I'm already trying so hard. I was so so so wrong. It is a highly entertaining and super interesting story. I'm not done yet but got to an interesting chapter near the end, where some anthropologists theories were explained. Basically a new theory from antrhopologists came out in the late 90's suggesting that humans evolved into our current form as running animals (like horses, dogs) instead of walking animals (chimps, pigs). But, they wondered, if that is true then why do most people hate running? The answer they propose: because in our evolution, people worked as hard as they needed to in order to survive. When they had times when they didn't need to work hard - times of surplus after a big hunting or gathering victory - people chilled out...lazed around...napped for days on end. In other words, they suggest we are lazy because we evolved to be lazy whenever we can get away with it. Now that all many of us need to do is sit on a computer chair and wiggle our fingers around on a keyboard, drive to buy whatever food we want and walk 15' to the house...we don't really need to do much moving around to exercise. We can be lazy.

All this to say - no wonder we have problems with laziness! But we also evolved with big brains that we can put to use. We KNOW exercise is good for us, being overweight is bad for us. We will suffer enormous health consequences from not exercising and being overweight. Conversely, we can experience so much more in life if we are fit and eat well.

I just read this chapter last night and it really hit me. Today I am embracing my laziness. I'm really enjoying the sofa right now with two napping dogs by my side. I'm also embracing my big brain and earlier today did a 1 hour boot camp class and I some awesome healthy meals to look forward to!

Here's to laziness, big brains, exercise and healthy food. We can have it all.
  • saturnine15
    Options
    I am reading an amazing book right now called "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. A friend loaned it to me. It sat on my table for months. I'm in a major self improvement mode right now and was thinking the book was going to be preachy and make me feel bad for not doing enough as I'm already trying so hard. I was so so so wrong. It is a highly entertaining and super interesting story. I'm not done yet but got to an interesting chapter near the end, where some anthropologists theories were explained. Basically a new theory from antrhopologists came out in the late 90's suggesting that humans evolved into our current form as running animals (like horses, dogs) instead of walking animals (chimps, pigs). But, they wondered, if that is true then why do most people hate running? The answer they propose: because in our evolution, people worked as hard as they needed to in order to survive. When they had times when they didn't need to work hard - times of surplus after a big hunting or gathering victory - people chilled out...lazed around...napped for days on end. In other words, they suggest we are lazy because we evolved to be lazy whenever we can get away with it. Now that all many of us need to do is sit on a computer chair and wiggle our fingers around on a keyboard, drive to buy whatever food we want and walk 15' to the house...we don't really need to do much moving around to exercise. We can be lazy.

All this to say - no wonder we have problems with laziness! But we also evolved with big brains that we can put to use. We KNOW exercise is good for us, being overweight is bad for us. We will suffer enormous health consequences from not exercising and being overweight. Conversely, we can experience so much more in life if we are fit and eat well.

I just read this chapter last night and it really hit me. Today I am embracing my laziness. I'm really enjoying the sofa right now with two napping dogs by my side. I'm also embracing my big brain and earlier today did a 1 hour boot camp class and I some awesome healthy meals to look forward to!

I love this. We are now at a point in our evolution where we will not survive (well, we won't be healthy anyway) doing what we are for the most part- programmed to do.
  • M1ssBehave
    M1ssBehave Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a lazy problem, but when I feel it taking over. I reply the scene from the 1st of the matrix, when Trinity is on the ground talking to herself saying "Get up Trinity Get up" Yes it is my sci-fi nerdy side , but it helps get me up and
  • poeticallydevine
    poeticallydevine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you know what quote i see on my mirror everyday that helps me with this... "LAZINESS = OBESITY" ... i see this every day and keep it moving.
  • microburst20
    Options
    I am lazy too!!! I have a sedentary job and then a commute and then would spend the rest of the day in front of my computer at home. However I am also HUNGRY!!!! When I realized I could eat back my exercise calories and still lose weight it got me painfully to my feet. Even walking for 10 minutes at a brisk pace gives me some more calories to eat. Then i take the stairs and walk some more. I recently purchased a workout cd and did a 20 minute upper body workout for the 1st time today! Yea!!!!!! I already have more energy than I have had in years and feel more cheerful. logging my exercise and eating the calories is very motivating.
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am so very lazy. Unfortunately, I blame it on the fact that I have two toddlers, and a full time job. About a year ago, I lost almost 35lbs on MFP BUT due to laziness I gained almost all of it back. I don't know why it's so hard for me to get motivated this time around to lose the weight and KEEP it off. Today, I woke up with difficulty breathing (allergies and a cold) BUT it reminded me of how my mother might have felt when she passed away in her sleep, almost 8 years ago at the age of 46 (she had sleep apnea and COPD). She was very overweight! I HAVE to do this for her! I HAVE to do this for my children! I HAVE to do this for ME! STARTING NOW!!
  • kristen5231
    Options
    Can i just say..... THIS IS THE POST I NEEDED TODAY!!!!
    I am a HUGE lazy person! I think I have some social anxiety. I don't like to go out and do stuff. I only have one friend in the town i live in. I like to go STRAIGHT home from work. I don't even go to the store if I need something (which I have been needing to do the last 3 nights). I live alone and love being a loner. No one supports me and no one cheers me on (except online). It's really hard to do this! My fun reason for losing the weight is so that I can move back to Santa Barbara where I lived for a few years and live again with my awesome friends I made. I was a social bug! Tons of friends and tons of fun crazy nights out on the town (when I was big!). I want to live that life again but as a hot sexy momma! But it's so hard to keep that goal in mind and actually do something about it. It's more like just fanciful dreaming. I think what I might try doing is printing pics of me and all my friends and putting them all over the fridge and all over in my car. I wonder if that will actually work and keep me motivated to stay active.
  • kristen5231
    Options
    This is my fav pic for laziness

423353_10150566061424444_575719443_8762709_1899297122_n.jpg
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Can i just say..... THIS IS THE POST I NEEDED TODAY!!!!
    I am a HUGE lazy person! I think I have some social anxiety. I don't like to go out and do stuff. I only have one friend in the town i live in. I like to go STRAIGHT home from work. I don't even go to the store if I need something (which I have been needing to do the last 3 nights). I live alone and love being a loner. No one supports me and no one cheers me on (except online). It's really hard to do this! My fun reason for losing the weight is so that I can move back to Santa Barbara where I lived for a few years and live again with my awesome friends I made. I was a social bug! Tons of friends and tons of fun crazy nights out on the town (when I was big!). I want to live that life again but as a hot sexy momma! But it's so hard to keep that goal in mind and actually do something about it. It's more like just fanciful dreaming. I think what I might try doing is printing pics of me and all my friends and putting them all over the fridge and all over in my car. I wonder if that will actually work and keep me motivated to stay active.

You are absolutely adorable and I thank you so much for posting this and for that fabulous pic too!

When I read your post, I thought of a book I read years ago called "The Feeling Good Handbook" --this (the amazon review) is the updated version, and it's probably even BETTER than the 1st edition version I read so very long ago:

The Feeling Good Handbook
    By: David B. Burns

Book Description
    Publication Date: May 1, 1999
    This book helps you: free yourself from fears, phobias and panic attacks; overcome self-defeating attitudes; discover the five secrets of intimate communication; put an end to marital conflict; and, conquer your procrastination and unleash your potential for success. In Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy Dr David Burns introduced a groundbreaking, drug-free treatment for depression that has helped millions of people around the world. Now, in this long-awaited sequel, he reveals powerful new techniques and provides practical exercises that will help you cope with problems and learn how to make life a happier, more exhilarating experience.

amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-Handbook-David-Burns/dp/0452281326/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Now, I haven't thought of this book in a million years--I didn't read it because I was depressed years ago, I read it because the titled sounded wonderful and it was, but after reading your post...it instantly came to my mind. I certainly don't suggest this book because I think you're depressed, I highly recommend you read it, because I think it will help you in so many many way. Perhaps you can find it at your local library. It was a HUGE blessing to me, perhaps it will be to you too. It's a secular book as well.

{{{{ :heart: HUGS :heart: }}}

You ROCK and thanks again so much for posting!!!!:flowerforyou:

P.S. Maybe I'll dig thru my vast library and dust cobwebs off this bad boy off and re it again myself :wink:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    haha, I was curious about the responses.

I'd been feeling generally lazy the last 2 months and I just decided I was going to run 5k randomly today. It took 44 mins. Hah, I definitely am bummed about the time, but the fact that I did it and I'm insanely competitive, especially against myself, it's given me renewed vigor.

I agree with what a couple people have said. I too want a life that I'm living, versus seeing or watching. I want to be doing. And that's the reason why I'm moving. :]
  • gogojodee
    Options

Wow, thanks for the post! I'd been meaning to check on Amazon or wherever to find the premise of the book and now I def want to read it! This book and the other book the woman mentioned about good mood. Hah. I hate the anxiety that I have and it comes from outta nowhere sometimes, so I have a feeling these will be good reads!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

I'd been feeling generally lazy the last 2 months and I just decided I was going to run 5k randomly today. It took 44 mins. Hah, I definitely am bummed about the time, but the fact that I did it and I'm insanely competitive, especially against myself, it's given me renewed vigor.

I agree with what a couple people have said. I too want a life that I'm living, versus seeing or watching. I want to be doing. And that's the reason why I'm moving. :]

You Rock! I can't even run yet, and it takes me 25-30+ minutes to WALK 2 miles, so I'm proud of you!!! Thanks so much for posting. I love that being competitive with yourself--that's the BEST way to be competitive to me--YAY for you:bigsmile:
  • gogojodee
    Options

You Rock! I can't even run yet, and it takes me 25-30+ minutes to WALK 2 miles, so I'm proud of you!!! Thanks so much for posting. I love that being competitive with yourself--that's the BEST way to be competitive to me--YAY for you:bigsmile:

Thanks so much for saying that! That is really what I needed to hear and what I wanted to hear. I told my mom that, and she just said, in her professional voice (the voice that she uses when she's in public and around people at work) "Oh, good for you!" And all I wanted was my mom to say, "Hey, I'm so proud of you! You can do anything!" - anyway, thanks for saying that. Means alot to me. :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!