am i cheating by counting cooking and cleaning as cardio?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight and it's working for you = no. If you're not making any progress and don't know why = I'd start there.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What type of cooking are you doing that's burning enough calories to log?
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    On days I do regular pick up around my house, playing with the babies, and mild things, I log it under cleaning moderate effort. On days I sweep and mop 2 levels, 6 peoples laundry, scrubbing bathtubs, and running around with the kids... etc, I log as exercise with heavy vigorous effort. The way I look at it, If I am not just sitting on my butt on the couch than I am up doing "exercise" that my body is burning calories for... so log it :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You say it's helping to keep you motivated, but if you feel like you're "cheating," then it's not really a positive thing in the end. I would count things like intensive spring cleaning, hand-scrubbing all of the floors or cleaning out the basement, but not day-to-day activities like cooking and doing dishes.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I only add it in if I am deep cleaning or cleaning for longer than 45 minutes. I also wear my hrm and if I don't keep my heart rate well above normal, I don't add it in. If it helped me lose a little, I will consider that a bonus. I guess if I feel like I am doing a dance class while am cleaning then it's worth it... I usually don't eat back calories from cleaning unless I truly worked hard.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've seen this topic a LOT on here, and posted a thread on it several months back...Because cleaning is something that's done on ar regular basis, I don't think it really counts. However, if you do everything double-time, go up and down the stairs TWICE whenever you have to use them, do squats while folding laundry. Bunny hops and jumping squats while moving around the house tidying up...when I put this theory to use with my HRM, I burnt 338 calories in 40(ish) minutes.
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I count it depending on my activity level. I have two kids and a sloppy husband (weekends for him) and I clean up a lot after them. Normal day to day stuff I don't count. I however did a lot of extra cleaning today and Sunday's I always have a lot of cleaning time due to the fact that I didn't clean over Saturday. On the days I clean for 4 hours.. I only count an hour of it.
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Any activity I do outside of an actual structured workout I consider a part of a slightly more active lifestyle. Even still, I consider my activity level to be sedentary.

I find that people tend to overestimate those exercise calories and underestimate how many food calories they're taking in. It's very easy to do. So no, I don't count those kinds of activities at all.
  • claire7090
    Options
    I log cleaning if I am giving the house a good clean (washing the dishes/loading the washing machine in my book does not count), and I log cooking if I have done alot for example I often make jams/chutneys that sort of thing and can be on my feet in the kitchen for 3-4 hours, I am tired at the end of it so I must have used calories.

However I log cautiously - if I do 2 hours cleaning I would only log 1 hour of light cleaning as I do not want to risk over logging calories.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Knock yourself out if you aren't eating back your "cals burned"...but I suspect you are, so:

MFP takes your normal daily activity into account. So since cooking and cleaning are daily acitivity you should NOT be counting it because you are not doing something above and beyond your normal routine. Besides, you should always err on the conservative side.
    My rule of thumb: if I don't have to put on my work out clothes for it, IT DOESN'T COUNT.

If you want to be accurate, get a Hear Rate Monitor. Average estimators are crap anyway and tend to over estimate your burns.

The only person you are cheating is yourself.

This
    no work out clothes = no count. I don't even log if I do a 'big clean'. I don't consider this a form of exercise.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    It all depends on the lifestyle level you set when you set up your MFP profile. I know what you mean though. I have a back injury and have been doing some light aerobic exercise, but have tweaked my back so right now I can't do any aerobics. I haven't been logging any house work, etc. The reason why is; I don't want to just log calories so I can have extra food each day when it's not really enough to make a difference. If it makes you feel better to log stuff, just remember, low level tasks like light housework doesn't burn many calories at all. I think some people over estimate when they look into the MFP database of exercise. Remember, most of those activities are entered in by members (I believe), so they are probably up for debate. Just hang in there; sometimes it goes a little slow, but hopefully you have chosen MFP because it represents a new lifestyle, not just a quick fix for symptoms of being overweight. It will happen. Good luck!

Edit: One thing to remember when logging exercise calories. If you over estimate, the only person it will hurt is yourself. It doesn't matter what anyone says pro or con about logging house work, you are the only one it affects. That's why I don't log light housework. I don't want to be disappointed when I don't lose any weight after eating back a bunch of calories I was just kidding myself about.
  • beth_816
    beth_816 Posts: 19
    Options
    For me it would be a fine line between motivation...and rationalization. Like trying to finesse the numbers to make myself feel better. In the end I'm only cheating myself by creating scenarios that make it look better on paper (or the screen in this case)

I agree with a couple of the folks here on a few of points.

Firslty, when I joined I set up my profile to "Lightly Active" because I am a nurse and on my feet for 12 hours at a time--basically running around for 12 hours. I had to acknowledge it's only partially accurate. I don't work 7 days a week. So if I'm cleaning my house and running around doing errands and cleaning I figure it's filling the role of being "Lightly Active". The calories for the day are set for that level of activity.

To try and account for the ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) to me feels like I'd be missing the big picture.

Secondly. If you have to ask you already know the answer.

Thirdly. Cardiovascular Exercise is defined as an increase in heart rate for a period of time (the % increase is up for interpretation based on the kind of goals you have)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/416934-what-is-considered-cardio-exercise/

The head games I play with myself are the most damaging to myself--and almost like self-sabotage. I have to be really honest with myself and really monitor my inner dialogue.

Best of Luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can see to add cooking+cleaning as "cardio" would be if you're desperate for some "bonus points" because you're not putting in enough effort overall.
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Options
    My opinion is that it is cheating. I think of exercise is anything that makes you breath heavier than you do naturally. Everything else is just part of your day. I believe that you should stick to your calorie goal, period. Anything that you do exercise wise is a bonus and that will be how you lose weight.
    If you up your calories everytime you move your arm then you will never be in a calorie deficite, therefore you will not lose weight.

When your heart rate in increased and you are breathing heavy...write that down. Otherwise leave it off and eat clean. :wink:
  • imatoughgirl
    imatoughgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think if you are honest about the calories burned you should count it. Obviously you can't count that as intense exercise. Actually your question reminds me that I should counting my calories burned at work and here at home also, not just the gym.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What do you have your daily activity set at?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it unless you're running back and forth between rooms.

If you have a Fitbit, cleaning and cooking would probably register as some kind of activity. But when people talk about "cardio," they usually mean intense, uninterrupted exercise.
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yes
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Is it working? Are you losing weight at the rate you're supposed to? Then it's not cheating.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I dont count anything as exercise if its part of my normal routine. Now if you go on a 5 hour cleaning spree or 8 hour cooking spree then I think that is ok but ultimately its up to you.