What actually is a 'cup'?

Options
its forever on the serving sizes when i input my food but have no clue how much it actually means!

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    One cup is 8 fluid ouces is approximately 236 ml.

Basically a unit of measurement for volume.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    it depends but i use the 8oz weighted. It depends on the package of the product you're consuming. If it says ml then they suck because volume measurements are for newbs.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious, but I'll bite...

Just grab a set of measuring cups from the store. You may or may not need it to portion out food, but you can definitely get a sense of how much food can fit in the single "1 cup" size. Good luck :)

tablecraft-724-standard-measuring-cups.jpg
  • gonnadidit
    gonnadidit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A protection device for the male nether regions!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I honestly clicked on this thinking it would be a guy posting talking about breast sizes. Guess you can tell where my mind lives...
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It's what male jocks use to protect their privates, I thought we were clear on this.

Here's a picture for anybody still confused:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmNBHWdUby_mbpTngwxmnLlZ-Qy0iMOHoOb5WsL11AuKDHautg
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A protection device for the male nether regions!

^ lol!!!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious, but I'll bite...

Just grab a set of measuring cups from the store. You may or may not need it to portion out food, but you can definitely get a sense of how much food can fit in the single "1 cup" size. Good luck :)

tablecraft-724-standard-measuring-cups.jpg

Keep in mind, not everyone in the world uses a uniform measuring system.

Imperial, metric etc
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Being in the USA, the rule I use is: If it's liquid, I measure in cups/pints/quarts*. If it's not liquid, I weigh it.

* A cup = 8 fl. oz.
    A pint = 16 fl. oz or 2 cups
    A quart is 32 fl. oz. or 4 cups or 2 pints
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    What is Google?
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I was going to post a pic and description of a diva cup.... Nvm.

1 cup = 8 oz, 236ml (but it's rounded up to 250ml) for liquids
    Use the measuring cups shown above for dry food, and a container that has ounces/ml measured out on the side for wet food.

You can also compare it to every day objects, for example, a cup of rice or mashed potatoes is about the size of a baseball.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    it depends but i use the 8oz weighted. It depends on the package of the product you're consuming. If it says ml then they suck because volume measurements are for newbs.

8 oz only applies to liquids.

I assume OP is not in the US. It's a measurement we use here. I don't know the equivalent of it elsewhere.
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    I honestly clicked on this thinking it would be a guy posting talking about breast sizes. Guess you can tell where my mind lives...

Haha, I clicked on this thinking it would be a guy posting about sports cups. :P
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Urgh, goodness knows... that's all part of us being Brits, the measurement system completely bypasses us.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really mean anything. It's 8 fluid ounces, but what you are eating is a solid, that's useless. It doesn't tell you if it's packed, how much air is there, etc. Weight is a much better measure for dry
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I measure everything because "1 cup" for one person could be "1.25 or 0.9 cups" for another. No everyone measures right. Your best bet is to go by weight or liquidi oz.
  • joanneh1978
    Options
    I've always wondered the same too! lol

I see it alot in recipes too. I'm guessing its a term not used here in the uk much as I'd never heard it before. I have a set of measuring cups but they all have different mls on. I was thinking, cup? which cup? I have 5! lol
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    rage-comics-bra-rage.jpg
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    A cup is a liquid measure. It is exactly 250mL. I don't get the other amounts given at all. It is a metric measurement, 1/4 of a liter which is exactly 1000 mL, so one cup is 250mL.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    a cup is what two girls, some fake duke, and a guy with a video camera used to make the best video ever \m/