Are we supposed to eat our exercise calories?!

I have a limit of 1800 calories a day. I usually eat about 1400 or so. But I exercise enough to burn off about 500 calories a day. I know that one pound of fat equals 3500 calories so by creating a 3500 a week calorie deficit in eating, I will lose 1lb a week. Exercising off 3500 calories a week will help me lose another pound a week. I keep seeing though, that we are supposed to eat our exercise calories.. How will I lose then? Help?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    In a nutshell, yes, you should. However, it depends how you've set your original deficit up. The key issue is not to have a deficit that is too excessive.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    MFP calculates a deficit for you already, and they don't advise that you try to 'undereat' or 'overtrain' to increase that deficit, that's why when you exercise, you get more calories to eat.

Ultimately, YOU have to make up your own mind about whether you eat your exercise calories or not. There are many advocates for both, and people will try to talk you into going either way. You need to do what works for you. My advice is to try one way or the other for a month at a time. A couple of days or a week will not give your body enough time to adjust to whatever you decide to do, so you need to give it time to work out what works FOR YOUR BODY.
  • I have been aiming at 1750. My understanding is that dropping more than 300-500 calories a day isn't the best idea anyway. Slower is better and more likely to be sustainable. If I am a lot under for the day I will have a snack to bring me into my 300-500 below range. The cool thing about that is I am slowly and sustainably losing the weight (8kgs in 5mths) and not really feeling like I am having a hard time. There have been a couple of days where I have bought a small pack of potato chips to bring my range up! :-)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    I have a limit of 1800 calories a day. I usually eat about 1400 or so. But I exercise enough to burn off about 500 calories a day. I know that one pound of fat equals 3500 calories so by creating a 3500 a week calorie deficit in eating, I will lose 1lb a week. Exercising off 3500 calories a week will help me lose another pound a week. I keep seeing though, that we are supposed to eat our exercise calories.. How will I lose then? Help?

Yes you are - because under that logic why not do another 500 cals worth of exercise a day and burn off 3 lbs a week?!

Because it doesn't work like that. Not as long as you aren't at an extremely high weight.

If your target is 1lb a week, stick to that, if you burn 300 cals then eat them back. The maths works.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    I am not quite understanding how that would work then....
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    My goal is to lose 2+ lbs a week. I have a lot to loose..
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    I am not quite understanding how that would work then....

Because the calorie goal set by MFP already includes a defict from your daily calorie intake, so you would lose weight even if you did no exercise

Have a read of the stickied threads at the top of this forum to understand how MFP works.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1
  • AnteroFaria
    AnteroFaria Posts: 12 Member
    You should always eat back the calories you burn but at the same time still stay under your calories for the day.

Lets say you want to lose a lb a week and that is your goal. Your going to aim for 500 cal less a day to a total of 3500 a week (3500 cal=1lb)

So if you limit is 1800 a day with the 1lb a week fast loss structure. This is mean to maintain your current body weight you need to take in 2300 cal a day.

Now if you burn lets say 400 to 500 calories exercising and you dont make up for those calories you are basically taking in 400-500 calories less then the already reduced 500 calories to maintain your normal body weight.

Food is fuel. Just like gas is too a car. Bad fuel will make your engine run harsh. Too much will overflow, too little will be not enough. The safest way to lose weight, and to make sure the loss is genuwine and lasting is to lose 1 lb a week. So eating 500 call less a day then "what you need to maintain + what you burn" will give you that result of a lb a week if you are sticking to your diet and staying below your alotted calories.

If you don't take in enough calories in the day, or at the right times, your body will store that food as extra fat as a defense as your body enters starvation mode. Thats why you see alot of skinny yet skinny fat people. Too few calories is worse then too many.

So if you exercise, and you burn extra calories in your day, try and make them back as much as possible still staying below or around your daily limit.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Basically - you have given your numbers to MFP who should have calculated out the appropriate intake for you (you may need to tweak it). If you have this set to lose 2lbs a week then if you were to do no exercise and eat by that regime you should lose 2lbs a week.

Therefore, if you do exercise, you are effectively changing the numbers.

The calculation goes Cals in - Cals burned in the day = surplus/deficit of cals.

Since we know what the deficit should be (in your case 1000) then cals in - cals burned should always = 1000 deficit.

If you do exercise then you need to eat the matching calories to keep the equation in balance.

Hope that makes sense.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    The goal set by MFP is NET and so to acheive that you have to eat back exercise, see your goal page, mine is below.

Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,850 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 540 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.1 lbs/ week

* Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned

2lbs week is a sensible loss with the amount you have to lose, I started with 104 to lose @ 2lbs / week, now im 40 down ive reduced to 1.5. I eat around 1950 total / 1600 net (my BMR is 1574) and lose 1.5 most weeks.

Chris is right, making more of a deficit doesnt automatically mean you lose more, at some point your body will say hey you are losing too much, i dont like it and then your loss will slow down or stop.
    By sticking to a sensible level and netting above BMR you are leaving enough fuel for your body to carry out essential processes, while still creating a defiict and losing :-)
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    I never eat them back. Not even after a 1700kcal workout like yesterday.
    I still lost 40kg, and still lose 3-4kg (7-9 pounds) per month. See what works for you and stick with it :-)
  • AEJhoi
    AEJhoi Posts: 36
    What I did was calculate my BMR*, eat atleast that and eat some of the calories back from exercising (also because i am not sure how accurate the calculations are..).
    So my BMR is about 1400, and I ussually burn about 400 so I eat between 1500-1900 depending on the day and how much i actually feel the need to eat them back. When I am absolutely not hungry I will just leave them.

BMR is what you burn when you are in a coma, if you eat below that they say you're body will go into starvation mode and you wont loose weight or lose weight fast but not in a healthy way. thats what i have read.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member

Okay - first you need to understand that your body burns calories all day long, even at rest. The number of calories you burn each day for you to merely exist is your BMR. Your TDEE is your BMR *plus* exercise and any physical activity (for example, you may work a physical job and do a lot of activity, that is factored into your TDEE.. IF you are sedentary however, this will be lower).

When you sign up for MFP, you input your data in and it calculates your TDEE based on your weight/age/activity level (eg sedentary, lightly active, etc). It does not factor exercise into this equation. It then will give you a figure of calories to eat each day (before exercise). To lose a lb, you should create a deficit of 3500. If you have set MFP up to lose 1lb per week, then it will subtract 500 calories per day from your TDEE and give you a figure. When you add exercise, it adds those additional calories burned to your TDEE. If you don't eat those calories, you've created a bigger deficit than 3500 calories per week.

So - in summary, you don't need to eat your exercise calories back but be aware that you are creating a larger deficit than the one recommended by MFP. This may slow your metabolism (your BMR) when your body goes to use protein from your muscle instead of fat and you end up with a high body fat %.

It's realistic and recommended to aim for 1lb per week depending on how much you weigh.
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    bump
  • Prefessa
    Prefessa Posts: 90
    One of the things I learned the hard way is...If loosing weight is controled by energy balance...then before you attempt to utilize anything here....you need to get your measurment system right. Some of the generic reccomendations on this site have folks either over reporting exercise calories or under reporting food calories....then folks hit a plataeu, and the generic answer is eat your exercise calories back!.

My advice is check to make sure you have the whole concept of energy balance right in the first place.

For instance.... unless you are genetically gifted...the calorie burn for exercise reported here are pretty much taken from university studies done on athletes....they are inherently innaccurate for at least 35% of the people here! For example...this AM I went on a 1 hr 45 min Bike Ride at 13.5 mph.....Calories determined via HRM...500, calories determined via MFP=1265 an error of 150%...so If i did this daily and "ate my exercise calories back" I would GAIN 1 lb per week! (Ask me how I know this...Arrgh!)

Same with food....if you eat very simple bland meals like Grilled skinnless chicken, baked Yams w/o butter, and steamed vegges, you would likely be dead on with food reporting(calories in). But if you eat REAL food....Like Pasta dishes, Turkey Meatloaf, Meatballs, sandwhitches with condiments or on artesian breads.....You must determine the actual macronutrient content and serving size of the dish to your exacting recipe. Using "generic recipes" found on this site will have inherent error. This is the main reason that Bodybuilders eat very bland diets and slam down all these MRP shakes....its easy to count calories and macronutrients with simple and engineered foods!

My other Rant is with the TDEE....Your BMR x F, where F is a factor depending on your activity...1.2 for sendentary, 1.3 for active ect....

Here is the problem....If you work out 5-6 days a week and use that as justification to multiply BMR by 1.5 or 1.6.....THEN also add exercise calories to your calculated TDEE and THEN eat them back...you are eating back calories that are already accounted for! So you will plataeu or gain weight.

Unless you are a Roofer, Landscaper, construction worker, Carpenter, Painter, ditch digger ect...most of us should be using 1.2 or 1.3, then adding MEASURED exercise calories(HRM, Bodybugg, Fitbit ect). At that point...eating your exercise calories back can work to your advantage, by not creating a huge caloric deficit.

If you don't own any of these devices, then use the Factors suggested by your exercise level and DO NOT use exercise calories as a means to offset calories eaten, because BY USING A FACTOR THAT ACCOUNTS FOR ACTIVITY, you have already factored those calories into your TDEE and counting them in....you have just counted them in twice! So for those that used Factors like 1.5 or 1.6 based on how many times you go to the gym....don't eat your exercise calories back!

For those of you who work strenuous jobs...landscapers for example....If you throw gym time on top of it all by all means...eat your MEASURED exercise calories back. Yes... it is possible to be an overweight landscaper if your eating He Man Subs and washin' em down with beer!

My advice....Understand what you are actually tracking and measuring, and then make sure your tracking and measuring them correctly. if you are 100% spot on your still not loosing weight...see a doctor...there are a plethora of vitamin/mineral deficiencies, sleep disorders and issues of metabolism (Metabolic Syndrome, High Cortisol levels, Underactive Thyroid ect) that can halt the progress of weight/fat loss. Your blood work should pinpoint what may be causing you to not looose weight. Been there, done that....I have both Metabolic Syndrome and Obstructive Sleep Apnea, which after 80+ pounds of weight loss...I still am being treated for both conditions...either one of these can have devistating effect on body fat accumulation if not treated and makes weight loss very difficult if not impossible(been there done that...got the CPAP machine and BS meds to prove it!)

Good Luck to all in there weight loss journey.
  • One of the things I learned the hard way is...If loosing weight is controled by energy balance...then before you attempt to utilize anything here....you need to get your measurment system right. Some of the generic reccomendations on this site have folks either over reporting exercise calories or under reporting food calories....then folks hit a plataeu, and the generic answer is eat your exercise calories back!.

My advice is check to make sure you have the whole concept of energy balance right in the first place. /Edit for brevity see post above me.

This is a great post, you make some excellent points!