Low Sodium and Intimidated

Options
Hello MFP! I was referred here by a friend who is having good success at using the site and so far I enjoy it very much. I thought I would introduce myself and possibly get some feed back from those of you who have experience. I was recently diagnosed (last week) with high blood pressure, I'm within 10 pounds of my preferred weight and am under going further testing to determine why I have the high BP. So for now my doctor has put me on medication and suggested I lower my sodium content to 2g/day or less, keep my caffeine intake to a minimum and exercise at least 30 minutes 6 days a week. I've dropped soda completely and am grateful to be able to track my sodium and exercise on here. My biggest hurdle is that I'm easily scared off of eating foods because of their sodium content. For instance because making a quesidilla would end up with 500mg of sodium or those pizza rolls in the freezer would easily be my daily quota I'm more inclined to skip lunch then risk having too much salt... How do you guys tackle that intimidation of food being bad for you? I know that as I progress with my diet foods that are low in sodium are going to come to mind much easier and be more attainable, also as I transition my kitchen to having more no/low sodium foods things will be easier but until I get there I'm having a difficult time forcing myself to just make something and eat.

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    like you said making food yourself is the absolute key, you know exactly what is in it, it can taste better then premade frozen stuff and you will be healthier, there are so many simple recipies out there that dont need to be intimidating, personally i never make anything that takes longer than 40min to cook and i make food in bulk on a sunday and re-heat throughout the week to save time, check out skinnytaste.com she is amazing and has such good ideas on making simple things that taste great and are healthy plus she gives you the nutrition breakdown . good luck!!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    bumping for more ideas!