am i cheating by counting cooking and cleaning as cardio?

Options

Replies

• whasara
    whasara Posts: 10
    Options
    I don't count it usually because it usually just hinders me from losing weight. I would rather count less for exercise so I lose more weight. otherwise I think I can eat more!
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't count cooking (mainly because my kitchen is really small) but I definitely count hoovering - I have a cat that moults a lot, and the carpet in my flat is hardwearing and therefore holds onto stuff, so when I hoover, I REALLY break a sweat since I have to push down and go over the same spot over and over. Last time I hoovered it took 25 minutes and my flat is SMALL. I actually wore my HRM and logged what it said because I was drenched when I finished.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    For me, there is a huge difference between FEELING wiped out or exhausted from doing things like cooking, cleaning and shopping, and actually BEING wiped out from doing a real workout. I figure that the moving around from cleaning and shopping and being on my feet is a good thing, but don't count it towards calories burned, because I know the difference in myself between when I really workout and when I don't. I've seen people burn a ton more calories from "cleaning" than I have over the same amount of time for busting my butt on the treadmill or elliptical, pouring sweat with a high heart rate and weak legs. It just doesn't quite add up for me.

I've seen a lot of people mention that they wanted the extra calories so they could eat more, or not see the red on their profile, or feel better that they got a huge calorie burn in. But your body responds to the actual calories in and out, not what the log on MFP says you did.

Also, for my weight loss, I've tried to get away from "deserving" to eat or "earning" it, because that's the same mentality I used when I would stuff myself after a long day, or a celebration, or when I was feeling down. Now I try to think about what my body needs. Using the "extra" calories because you feel you deserve them is not something that works for me.

Calories burned are calories burned no matter HOW they are burned. YES, they DO count as calories burned. What scientific reason could there be that they didn't count?

Because a vacuum is not a tool in the exercise world. Neither is a freakin' frying pan.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Calories burned are calories burned no matter HOW they are burned. YES, they DO count as calories burned. What scientific reason could there be that they didn't count?

Yes, all calories burned count. The question is though is what counts as "regular daily activity", are these calories already accounted for in your settings, and does "sedentary" really mean doing nothing as some posters in this thread seem to imply.

And also it relates to ACTUAL calories burned. I can add up all my cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, and come up with hundreds of calories burned for a couple hours worth of time. MFP counts these burns much higher than they actually are. When I run or use the elliptical for 45 minutes, I burn about 400-500 calories according to the machine. That is strenuous effort for me, I am working hard. There is no way I burn that many calories in 45 minutes or an hour of shopping, vacuuming, or cooking. So yes, I can log those things, but it doesn't mean I am actually burning those calories.

Now you're just making up stuff. MFP says the sedentary setting is based on "spends most of the day sitting" so I'd think that would mean vacuuming, folding laundry, or even standing at the stove wouldn't be included. As to how much you burn, she didn't suggest, nor did anyone else, including me, that cleaning would burn the same number of calories as elliptical training. As opposed to your 400-500 (500 for 150 pound person) calories for elliptical, the MFP database says a 150 pound person burns about 125 calories doing "moderate effort" cleaning. NO ONE said anyone should record elliptical training when they did cleaning. Since some people run, and quite fast, which would burn close to 800 calories in 45 minutes; can I assume you can no longer claim elliptical training, since there is no way you could burn that many calories doing elliptical? Since some exercises burn more than elliptical, elliptical doesn't burn any, right? Or is it possible that she could have actually burned her 125 calories for her 45 minute effort?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Yes, all calories burned count. The question is though is what counts as "regular daily activity", are these calories already accounted for in your settings, and does "sedentary" really mean doing nothing as some posters in this thread seem to imply.

And also it relates to ACTUAL calories burned. I can add up all my cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, and come up with hundreds of calories burned for a couple hours worth of time. MFP counts these burns much higher than they actually are. When I run or use the elliptical for 45 minutes, I burn about 400-500 calories according to the machine. That is strenuous effort for me, I am working hard. There is no way I burn that many calories in 45 minutes or an hour of shopping, vacuuming, or cooking. So yes, I can log those things, but it doesn't mean I am actually burning those calories.

So you count going shopping as exercise?

So What? If she wants to count shopping calories that's her choice. Her weight loss may slow down, but that's a price she's willing to pay. I don't count shopping, cooking, etc. calories because I have been exercising awhile, and for me I get no health benefit. For very unfit people, shopping may be exercise (or it may be Mall of America .... who knows).
  • Dtregle
    Dtregle Posts: 12
    Options
    If you have to ask......then you probably already know that it shouldnt!
  • soon2blollar
    Options
    I have a 4 level house and do deep house cleaning on the weekends. With 4 kids and a dog I am up and down many stairs many times. I don't count this because this is my life. However, when I do heavy cleaning that or yard work I do count that, especially yard work because I work very hard at it. Also, at this point I don't exercise which is not good but I am doing pretty good with my calorie intake. My husband leaves for Korea in 2 weeks so I plan on revamping my whole efforts at that time. I just continue to log right now because I want it to be a habit. Also, by this time if I don't log I feel guilty. Good luck to you!
  • FitLink
    Options
    For me, there is a huge difference between FEELING wiped out or exhausted from doing things like cooking, cleaning and shopping, and actually BEING wiped out from doing a real workout. I figure that the moving around from cleaning and shopping and being on my feet is a good thing, but don't count it towards calories burned, because I know the difference in myself between when I really workout and when I don't. I've seen people burn a ton more calories from "cleaning" than I have over the same amount of time for busting my butt on the treadmill or elliptical, pouring sweat with a high heart rate and weak legs. It just doesn't quite add up for me.

I've seen a lot of people mention that they wanted the extra calories so they could eat more, or not see the red on their profile, or feel better that they got a huge calorie burn in. But your body responds to the actual calories in and out, not what the log on MFP says you did.

Also, for my weight loss, I've tried to get away from "deserving" to eat or "earning" it, because that's the same mentality I used when I would stuff myself after a long day, or a celebration, or when I was feeling down. Now I try to think about what my body needs. Using the "extra" calories because you feel you deserve them is not something that works for me.

Because a vacuum is not a tool in the exercise world. Neither is a freakin' frying pan.

There is no exercise world. Calories are burned in the real world, where the laws of physics apply. If you required gym tools to burn calories, BMR would be 0 for everyone. I can walk up my stairs for an hour and burn the same number of calories as a stair stepper, without any "tools." You don't need any tools or a gym to burn calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my day sitting too. I have a desk job. But I do go home and do cooking and laundry and cleaning. I don't log that, MFP has figured in a certain amount of calorie burn for those normal daily activities like going to the store, walking up the stairs to the bathroom or the bedroom, walking back and forth to my car. Cooking is something you do every day, it is included in the "sedentary" settings.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Now you're just making up stuff. MFP says the sedentary setting is based on "spends most of the day sitting" so I'd think that would mean vacuuming, folding laundry, or even standing at the stove wouldn't be included. As to how much you burn, she didn't suggest, nor did anyone else, including me, that cleaning would burn the same number of calories as elliptical training. As opposed to your 400-500 (500 for 150 pound person) calories for elliptical, the MFP database says a 150 pound person burns about 125 calories doing "moderate effort" cleaning. NO ONE said anyone should record elliptical training when they did cleaning. Since some people run, and quite fast, which would burn close to 800 calories in 45 minutes; can I assume you can no longer claim elliptical training, since there is no way you could burn that many calories doing elliptical? Since some exercises burn more than elliptical, elliptical doesn't burn any, right? Or is it possible that she could have actually burned her 125 calories for her 45 minute effort?

Um, no...how am I making things up? By saying that people tend to overestimate a calorie burn? Or by my actual observations of this? Or by expressing my opinions in terms of my weight loss?

According to MFP, jogging for an hour burns almost as many calories as about an hour and a half of leisurely shopping, cooking, and cleaning. My point is that some things are highly overestimated. Moving your body is not the same as getting a real workout in. It is good for you, of course, but doesn't affect your body in the same way. When I am working out, my heart rate is higher and is sustained at a higher rate. When I am cooking and cleaning, I am moving, but I am nowhere near the same sustained cardio or fat loss zone as when I do actual workouts. Of course there are different workout levels, and people pushing at different rates. But like I said, feeling burnt out is different to me than really pushing myself during a workout.

I understand "sedentary" to mean a lifestyle that is not on my feet all day, not to mean I am comatose. I can have a sedentary office job and still walk to and from my car, do grocery shopping, and prepare meals.
  • olyrose
    Options

So you count going shopping as exercise?

Nope, saying the exact opposite :smile:
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Only you can know that, really. On Saturday I cleaned the whole house (2 levels) switched out all the clothes for our family (5 people) from winter to summer, tons of laundry and climbing up to the attic - I logged it because it took 4 hours (I only counted half the calories it said) and I was WIPED out after, I had exercised.

Now last night, I did the kitchen, but it was 15 minutes and I didn't feel like I had done anything, so I didn't log it. If you honestly feel like you've worked out, log it. If you haven't, don't.

this
  • FitLink
    Options
    I spend most of my day sitting too. I have a desk job. But I do go home and do cooking and laundry and cleaning. I don't log that, MFP has figured in a certain amount of calorie burn for those normal daily activities like going to the store, walking up the stairs to the bathroom or the bedroom, walking back and forth to my car. Cooking is something you do every day, it is included in the "sedentary" settings.

On what do you base that they've added for that. MFP certainly doesn't say that. It says "spends most of the day sitting." Do people who pay other people to clean their houses and care for their kids, etc have to deduct those calories, since they didn't burn them? Do they have negative cardio? If MFP adds calories for cleaning etc., they don't indicate it anywhere.

I am set for sedentary. I wear a FitBit that records my calorie burn and automatically adds cardio to account for my regular daily activity. My weight loss is exactly what would be expected if those numbers were accurate.
  • FitLink
    Options

Um, no...how am I making things up? By saying that people tend to overestimate a calorie burn? Or by my actual observations of this? Or by expressing my opinions in terms of my weight loss?

According to MFP, jogging for an hour burns almost as many calories as about an hour and a half of leisurely shopping, cooking, and cleaning. My point is that some things are highly overestimated. Moving your body is not the same as getting a real workout in. It is good for you, of course, but doesn't affect your body in the same way. When I am working out, my heart rate is higher and is sustained at a higher rate. When I am cooking and cleaning, I am moving, but I am nowhere near the same sustained cardio or fat loss zone as when I do actual workouts. Of course there are different workout levels, and people pushing at different rates. But like I said, feeling burnt out is different to me than really pushing myself during a workout.

I understand "sedentary" to mean a lifestyle that is not on my feet all day, not to mean I am comatose. I can have a sedentary office job and still walk to and from my car, do grocery shopping, and prepare meals.

Sedentary ISN'T BMR. BMR would be what you burn when you're comatose. You're spouting nonsense. Whatever you "understand" it to mean, MFP says sedentary means "mostly sitting."
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

On what do you base that they've added for that. MFP certainly doesn't say that. It says "spends most of the day sitting." Do people who pay other people to clean their houses and care for their kids, etc have to deduct those calories, since they didn't burn them? Do they have negative cardio? If MFP adds calories for cleaning etc., they don't indicate it anywhere.

I am set for sedentary. I wear a FitBit that records my calorie burn and automatically adds cardio to account for my regular daily activity. My weight loss is exactly what would be expected if those numbers were accurate.

BMR = basal metabolic rate, the number of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma.

When it asks you if you what your lifestyle is, it is multiplying BMR by a certain factor to determine what your caloric needs are for regular daily life. This is adding in calories for getting up and walking around and eating and going places and doing everything that you do in a day.

These numbers are estimates based on your age, height, weight. Of course if you are wearing a heart rate monitor or fitbit, you have a better idea of what your numbers actually are. All of the calculators, and even the MFP exercise database are estimates.
  • olyrose
    Options

Sedentary ISN'T BMR. BMR would be what you burn when you're comatose. You're spouting nonsense. Whatever you "understand" it to mean, MFP says sedentary means "mostly sitting."

Right. Which is why I said I understand sedentary to be NOT ON MY FEET ALL DAY, but also NOT that I'm comatose. NOT ON MY FEET ALL DAY meas MOSTLY SITTING. NOT COMATOSE. My office job and my commute mean that the majority of the day I sit. But it doesn't mean I NEVER move around, or go about regular daily activities.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If I am cleaning as my workout, I'll count it.

I don't count cooking.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I count it. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I often am cooking for 8 hours straight if not longer, preparing food for the party, then cooking at the party, then I unload the car at home and clean up, usually cooking supper afterwards. And I speed walk when grocery shopping because I hate Wal-Mart and want out of there ASAP.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I count it. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I often am cooking for 8 hours straight if not longer, preparing food for the party, then cooking at the party, then I unload the car at home and clean up, usually cooking supper afterwards. And I speed walk when grocery shopping because I hate Wal-Mart and want out of there ASAP.

then you should adjust your settings to lightly active....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

3) Aren't we all smart enough to know not to eat our exercise calories? And on that topic, does it irritate anyone that our daily diary automatically adds those into our available calories. Then you have to subtract them to see what's really left, if you journal after every meal and exercise routine.

Bless your heart. I'm smart enough to understand how *healthy* deficits work...