Am I destined to a life without chips? :(

OK So I am new to this and have done pretty well for my first day. I eat fairly healthy overall, but portion control was an issue.
I am putting together a small grocery list to last me the rest of the week. I work in an office and pack my lunch.
Turkey sandwiches are my favorite, but I LOVE chips. I don;t know how to eat a sandwich without chips.
Do you guys have any suggestions for a replacement? (other than lets say, carrots. A carrot is NOTHING like a chip!) -_-
List of snacks to buy today: yogurt, almonds, tuna, veggies, also whats a good snack with protein??? I am not a big meat eater and always struggled to eat enough protein.

Sorry for all the questions! and thank you in advance for all the help!

Replies

• k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Pretzels are good, lower fat than chips. Good luck and welcome to MFP!!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    So don't cut them out.

Exchange them for things like baked chips/kettle chips. Watch the fat content, and portions, if you are just in the chip business
    for the crunch, take half a serving instead of a whole serving. If you want something crunchy I have heard baked kale makes
    good chip substitutes, but I haven't been brace enough to give that a try yet :S
  • mcourtney09
    mcourtney09 Posts: 34 Member
    Try some homemade Kale Chips! Just wash and cut up some Kale, drizzle with olive oil and a touch of salt and bake until crispy...they are really YUMMY :)
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Make your own chips!! Google has a bunch of healthy options and tips! So yummy and easy!! (i love chips too) also.. pita chips... bake themin the oven with seasoning.. ooommmggg so much better the chips (and you can get whole grain)
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    I have come to love baked Lay's. One of the small bags is like 140 calories and satisfies my need for salty potatoes. :)
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Getting over chips was a big thing for me too, but the less you eat them, the less you crave them. However, if you're looking for that irresistable crispy taste, try pretzel crisps which are low in fat and calories. Another great alternative is baked chips, try Ruffles Baked Cheddar chips. Those not quite cutting it? Eat chips infrequently. Cutting out the foods you love and going cold turkey won't keep the pounds off forever.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Try some homemade Kale Chips! Just wash and cut up some Kale, drizzle with olive oil and a touch of salt and bake until crispy...they are really YUMMY :)

I know that sounds weird, but they REALLY are super tasty!

Another suggestion is Dr oz suggests purple potato chips if you really want chips, There's something in them that is supposed to be good for weight loss
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I am the same about sandwiches and chips. So now I don't eat many sandwiches. But I do still have both occasionally. The Baked Lay's are lower calorie than fried chips. And there are whole grain chips such as Sun Chips.

Snacks with protein - nuts, nut butters, hummus or other bean dips, cheese, yogurt.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    If you don't learn portion control, replacing them with something else won't do you any good.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Some companies (like Kelloggs Special K) have made cracker chips. They're pretty good too.
    I like a lot of the Kashi TLC crackers (tasty little crackers, yum!)
    Oddly, I don't miss chips that much...
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Roasted Soybeans are good, crunchy and salty. I agree with others about making chips, or what about just fitting them into your calories?
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    If you can't eat the chips in moderation (I know I have problems), I have found healthier alternatives.

Some are:
    Veggie Chips - kale chips, zucchini chips, spinach, etc - You roast them or dehydrate them until they are dry and crispy. I season with popcorn seasonings which are similar flavors to chips
    Tortillias - in place of tortilla chips. Cut them up and bake them
    Popchips - they are a are like little popcorn chips
    Special K Cracker Chips - These are my new favorite, light, crispy, lots to dip with, and only 80 cal for 20 pieces.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    soybeans are horrible, they contain phytoestrogens, which are bad for men and women.

roasted salted cashews taste just like regular pringles. they are a delicious, healthy fat alternative.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    If you don't learn portion control, replacing them with something else won't do you any good.

This

I still love to eat chips but a big part of my weight loss journey was learning to love food while overcoming the control food had over me. There is never one thing you have to give up forever.
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    I vote for the Kelloggs Cracker chips, they are in the cracker isle, and these little amazing things have saved me because they are still chips, but you can have 27 for 110 calories, very yummy. I can't live without chips either, because I make the best hot sauce in the whole wide world (bowing :) ) so I had to find an alternative. These are it, i don't miss regular chips at all, these taste better!!!!!!!!!!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    soybeans are horrible, they contain phytoestrogens, which are bad for men and women.
    Do you have a source for this? You are the first person I have EVER met that said soybeans are bad.
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    I LOVE sun chips in the blue bag. They're multi-grain and not too high in fat. A bag every once in a while is a good treat!
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Do you have a source for this? You are the first person I have EVER met that said soybeans are bad.

do you have a google?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    pop chips are pretty tasty. But portion control is going to be key, no matter what the food is.

Are you destined for a life without chips? You don't have to be.

you can choose from any of the following: still eat them, but workout enough to earn them OR eat less of them so they fit in your calories OR find substitutions so you get bigger portions for the same calories.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Whole Grain goldfish for when I am being good. Tortilla chips with salsa when I am being "bad." I can portion control tortilla chips much more easily than with regular potato chips. That said, I also remember that I do on occasion buy Pringles because I can control the portion as well.

Edit: If you can't manage to count out your own portions then try to buy the chips already portioned into snack sized bags. Those are easier to count than a handful from a big bag. Leave the big bags at the store!