Anyone tried going vegan?

Options

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I was just curious if anybody out there is vegan or has tried eating a vegan diet? What do you like about it or dislike about it?

I just posted an entry on my blog about trying to go vegan with a couple recipes I ended up liking. I like the idea of being vegan (health wise), but not sure I could sustain it very long.

Thoughts?

I lived as an lacto-ovo vegetarian for years. It eventually did not work for me. My husband has been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for decades. He loves cheese to much to be a vegan. LOL. If can be done. There are several groups here for vegans. I have a cooking blog were I share my recipes. It is myveggietable.com. In the blog roll section I have some other vegetarian/vegan blogs that I like. There is nothing wrong with giving it a try. If it does not work for you, then that's okay, too.
  • moeviegrl
    moeviegrl Posts: 52
    Options
    I tried to go from a meat loving diet to a vegetarian/vegan one four or five years ago. Oh god was it hard...my cravings were so bad that I would have vivid dreams about eating foods I had cut out (like shoving my face into a huge pile of BBQ ribs and devouring them whole). My boyfriend at the time would tell me he thought I was having weird sex dreams because I would make pleasure moans and mumble oh god and yes in my sleep. It got bad. After a month of torment and using all of my will power, I had to go back to eating meat. My weight and health didn't really change in that time (I might have lost 10 lbs or so but nothing major because I wasn't tracking my calories and in hindsight, probably ate more calories because I used tons of fatty dressings.). That said, if it feels right for you, by all means, do it! Try it and see. You wont know what works for you until you try. Some of us love to lift weights, others of us find it a waste of our time and would rather bike a mile. Everyone is different and everyone finds that certain things work for them when they don't work for other people. As long as your health isn't suffering and you feel good doing it, do it!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am doing the Eat to Live diet from Joel Fuhrman, MD. I love this approach. It kind of works you towards being vegan if you choose to go that far. I'm not sure I can sustain a completely vegan diet, but I absolutely love how I feel when I cut way back on animal products, and increase the green veggies and veggies and fruits in general. The Eat to Live book is very compelling. Without the knowledge of science and the numerous studies associated with eating this way it would be hard to do, although some feel very strongly about the torture the animals go through. I guess my style is eating for health and not necessarily just meatless. You may be interested in his website and looking at some videos on there or listening to some recordings on there, too that explain the approach if you are still exploring options. My weight is much more stable and I have much more energy eating this way. I was also developing arthritis in my hands and that pain has gone away. Meat today is not the same as it was in our grandparents day. The pesticides, the changes in farming unless you buy from a small local farm, etc., not many around here and that doesn't appeal to me, either. I'd rather work towards doing without. I don't miss it at all. My diary is open but honestly the last week has been extra busy and there will be hit or miss days and my birthday was this weekend so a dessert disaster and eating the wrong food. Although it was a good comparison to how eating each way feels. I feel so much better with a cleaner diet! Good luck to you. I think you are meeting a lot of resistance by folks who somehow feel threatened by YOU choosing to try something different. Look into www.drfuhrman.com.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Germany isn't too vegan friendly, so eating out was sometimes hard. But it forced me to really learning how to cook, which I absolutely loved doing. I tried so many things that I'd never have tried before. It requires a careful eye for food and nutrition, but I think everyone on here already has that :laugh:

I am from Germany and will visit family there soon and have already encountered problems just talking about it. My mom is freaking out what to cook so I'll end up doing some cooking there most likely :)
  • OceansForever
    Options
    I always thought people went vegan for an activist cause, not for nutrition.

In dietary terms humans need essential fatty acids (fat) and essential amino acids (protein/meat), so I wouldn't ever consider it unless they could demonstrate a healthy vegan lifestyle that doesn't require them to take supplements such as B12 (sourced primarily from meat) to thrive.

Just my opinion.

Nope. Not true. There are plenty of people following a vegan diet (not the vegan life style), meaning they eat vegetarian and not eggs or dairy.

I am a combination of both. Life isn't just black and white :) There are lots of shades of grey.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you're a vegan or vegetarian for any other reason than animal right reasons then you're doing it all wrong. I'm pretty much tired with the anti-meat propaganda that is continually perpetuated to the ignorant and they accept it as well as the nonsensical, ****ty epidemiological studies which have created the warships against saturated fat and red meat.

To cut out anything for health reasons just shows how little you know about health. Almost everybody on MFP has zero clue what constitutes healthy. I've tiptoed around people's feelings but the ignorance is strong on here. Let's be a little more open-minded and stop crucifying food groups.

If you want to be vegan for health reasons then save yourself the time and eat with reason. If you don't know what "eating with reason" is then time to do some thorough researching and I recommend starting off with Alan Aragon's work since he's constantly trying to dismiss the garbage out there.
  • OceansForever
    Options
    Either way, there are many vegan athletes who thrive. Everyone must choose for themselves. Many of our great minds have been vegetarian. To quote Brian Greene(scientist) "vegetarians typically are people who are willing to challenge the usual, accepted order of things. Moreover, they're often people willing to sacrifice their own pleasures in pursuit of what they believe is right. These same qualities are often what's needed to make great breakthroughs in the arts and sciences" to the question of why so many great geniuses have been vegetarian

lol

And this is funny why?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

In dietary terms humans need essential fatty acids (fat) and essential amino acids (protein/meat), so I wouldn't ever consider it unless they could demonstrate a healthy vegan lifestyle that doesn't require them to take supplements such as B12 (sourced primarily from meat) to thrive.

Just my opinion.

Essential fatty acids and essential amino acids are present in plant foods as well as in animals. B12 only has to be supplemented because soil has been so depleted that we as human animals cannot get what we need from it anymore by eating vegetables. Nonhuman animals, however, can still get enough B12 from eating plants. So, B12 only has to be supplemented due to our own misuse of the land (point being that a vegan diet is not inherently flawed, supplementation is only required because of what we have done to the planet).

To the OP: why not look into following a "plant-based diet"? Obviously meaning your diet is primarily plant-based, but allows you flexibility to eat other things and may help you to stick to plants being the primary focus, rather than feeling you can't stick to an all-plant diet, then leading you to give up altogether and just go back to whatever your typical diet is. Additionally, you avoid issues with terminology (as the above poster noted, the original use of the term "vegan" was to differentiate its ethical focus). Most people who choose the term "plant-based diet" follow that manner of eating for reasons of health.
  • OceansForever
    Options
    I was just curious if anybody out there is vegan or has tried eating a vegan diet? What do you like about it or dislike about it?

I just posted an entry on my blog about trying to go vegan with a couple recipes I ended up liking. I like the idea of being vegan (health wise), but not sure I could sustain it very long.

Thoughts?

Sorry for all the posts. Don't know how to do the multi quote thing :)

I am eating vegan. To be exact, I am eating a healthy, balanced vegan diet without added oils.

I was ovo/lacto vegetarian before and wasn't eating very healthy. I was in need of a nutritional balanced diet (as what I was doing was obviously not working for me) when Amazon suggested the book "The go healthy go vegan cookbook" by Dr. Neil Barnard. It is very similar to the Fork over Knives by Dr. Esselstyn. They both promote plant based diet without added oils.

There are plenty of resources available, such as the 21-Day-Vegan-Kickstart (web site and on facebook). There's also a good blog: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

Like someone else suggested, there are several vegan/vegetarian groups on MFP worth checking out.

What I like is that I feel better than I have in a long time. I get plenty of fiber which to me is very important. I've learned that the key for me to avoid eating unhealthy is in eating a very balanced diet that consists of veggies, fruits, legumes, and grain. As long as I make sure I have one of each throughout the day, I do not have any cravings, which is a big plus for weight loss.
    I also like that it is a great excuse not to eat at company functions (pizza, cake, ice cream etc, all the unhealthy stuff).

What I dislike is that it is difficult to eat out but with planning it is doable, though I don't usually go out much, so I am not completely inconvenienced by it.

I have very supportive people around me, so it is easy for me in this aspect. Thankfully I have not encountered too many people who question why I do what I do. I firmly believe that choice of food is everyone's personal choice and I don't question it. Unfortunately, there are some people who love to point out how great bacon is blah, blah, blah, though I never questioned them eating it.

The longer I've been eating vegan, the more I've learned about nutrition and it has helped me eating well.

Message me if you have questions :)
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've transitioned to a plant-based (no animal products) diet with no problems and I have done it for health reasons. This is the decision I came to after doing my own research and experimentation, it is right for me, and no one is going to convince me I am "doing it all wrong." Those kind of statements are good for a laugh though, and laughter is healthy!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Just my opinion.

There are plenty of plant sources of both essential fatty acids and amino acids. With a modest amount of effort, one can eat a very healthy, well rounded, vegan diet. The only thing you can't get from a vegan diet is B12, and there is evidence that even some meat eaters should take b12 supplements.
  • poquosonrn
    poquosonrn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree. My husband, children and the rest of my family eat meat, but it's amazing how many people want to make fun or be critical of someone elses food choices. Being vegan is not easy, but it is a choice I try to stick with for my own reasons. I think everyone should research it themselves. There will always be people who have nothing intelligent to bring to the conversation. I simply encourage anyone who wishes to give it a try to look into it. I do not do it for health reasons, but for ethical reasons so it is a lot easier for me to stick with it.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd throw my hat (story) into the ring (thread).

I've been eating a "vegan" diet since 11/01/11. I put "vegan" in quotations because my diet is very nearly vegan. The only food I eat that a "Vegan" would not is honey.

Anyway, since that time I have had a few achievements that I'd like to share. I stopped snoring completely the first week of my "mucous free diet". I previously sounded like an oncoming train in my "sleep". My total serum cholesterol now rests at 140, a full 35 points lower than when I started. My blood pressure has returned to 110/70 without any medications (I was previously on a powerful beta-blocker), and last but not least, I've lost 99lbs.

I did not post this story to make anybody mad about vegans or vegetarians, or to directly contradict previous posters, but it is all true. I am definitely an advocate of this lifestyle and I think anybody looking to live a meat-less or at least less-meat lifestyle can do so safely and healthy.

Good luck to you OP! I hope you are able to achieve your goals, whichever way you choose to get there.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The reason folks who eat plant-based need to take B12 supplements is because our plants need to be so clean in order to get rid of the bacteria and other no-see-ums that will make us sick that we kill the bacteria responsible for B12 as well. Animals eat "uncleaned" plants so they get their B12 from bacteria on the plants, omnivores get their B12 from the animals because they get it from the plants. I would suspect that if one grew veggies in an back yard organic garden a plant based eater may not have to take a B12 supplement at all.
  • heatherldietrich
    Options
    Either way, there are many vegan athletes who thrive. Everyone must choose for themselves. Many of our great minds have been vegetarian. To quote Brian Greene(scientist) "vegetarians typically are people who are willing to challenge the usual, accepted order of things. Moreover, they're often people willing to sacrifice their own pleasures in pursuit of what they believe is right. These same qualities are often what's needed to make great breakthroughs in the arts and sciences" to the question of why so many great geniuses have been vegetarian

Speaking of vegan athletes and thriving, Brendan Brazier is a professional triathelete who is vegan . His book, the Thrive Diet, talks about his journey as an athlete and his endeavours to find the optimal diet to fuel your body. He supports a whole foods, plant based diet, which I have been following, for the most part, for the last two months.

http://www.thrivediet.com/
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat a vegan diet now! there is so much information available on how many health benefits there are, plus tons of web sites, books, blogs, facebook pages, mfp forums, etc, that it's not hard at all to make the switch.
    The biggest argument I've heard is that it's restrictive and can socially isolate you, neither of which I've found to be true for me. I eat a larger variety of food now than I once did, and most of them are vegetables! plus, in my city there are so many vegan or vegan friendly restaurants, and with the Happy Cow website and app to help you find appropriate restaurants, there's no reason to avoid eating out with friends. Additionally, there are other vegans in my running club (I'm an endurance athlete) and several vegan/vegetarian meet up groups, too.

The only thing I *don't* like about it that people who aren't vegan (and some who ARE!!) seem to place some sort of hierarchy on which "kind" of vegan you are: animal welfare, environmental, or health. IMO, regardless of which reason belongs to you, becoming vegan still effects all three. (unless you eat a diet of soda, boca burgers, and oreos, which isn't very healthy).

the websites for Engine 2 Diet and Happy Herbivore both have a lot info for becoming a plant-strong vegan (as opposed to a junk-food vegan), also both have books available and tons of references. Both also have menu plans, recipes and shopping lists available to help newbies.

FWIW, I had tried south beach diet and then Paleo, and ended up with acidosis and diverticulitis. I also didn't lose weight. Changed to plant-strong vegan and the weight fell off, blood tests are spectacular, my running speed greatly improved and I feel so much better. Plus, it was so easy to do. I love it!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hindus and some other indian cultures

Hindus eat meat. For religious reasons they do not eat cows. Also there are other religious reasons for cutting out meat at certain times kind of like Lent. But the do eat meat, just not a large amount apparently.

Not trying to pick an argument, just was curious.

LMGTFY ;)

Jainism, Hinduism (despite that you said some eat meat, vegetarianism is the ideal), Sikhism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity (historically), Islamic faiths, Baha'i faith, Rastafarianism, hare krishna. All of these religious groups endorse vegetarianism as the ideal. Obviously, much like other aspects of religion, people often choose differently than the ideal. And, of the vegetarians there are varying amounts of any/all animal products consumed, of course. some have dairy, some don't.

Some of the other pretty prevalent reasons people choose not to eat meat are health, environmental, and animal welfare concerns. There has actually been a lot of awareness brought to the positive effects of a plant based diet on health in the last few years, so a quick google search of "plant strong diet" will give you a rundown. Of course, changing the animal product/vegetable ratio to include more vegetables is beneficial to anyone, even if they still eat a bit of meat.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    First thing I say to people who tell me "I don't know if I can be vegan!" is this...

You're never going to convince a fat mexican who loves carne asada that you that you can't stop eating meat.

I've been a vegan since September 11th. That's because a week before I got some blood tests results that scared me to death. My fasting blood sugar was through the roof at 130 and my cholesterol was sky high at 243 (high is above 190). A lot of research went into my decision.

On November 10th I got new blood work. Cholesterol down to 183 to blood sugar all the way to 77. Just three months of being vegan.

I started doing the diet for health reasons, but I was exposed to so much data about meat - ethical, philosophical, governmental, environmental - that it became more than that very quickly. So much so that I started a website about it.

http://www.whyimvegan.com/

There is no monetary value in my site. It's just that I got so tired of arguing about it with people (arguments I never start) that I just tell them to read my website. There are categories for celebrities, athletes, nutrition, etc. If anyone has anything good for me to add, let me know.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options

LMGTFY ;)

I did as well before I said what I did.
    Not all Hindus avoid eating meat. A great majority of Hindus eat it. In ancient India even the Brahmins ate certain types of sacrificial meat. Hindu law books do not prohibit the eating of meat in general, but only certain types of meat.

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_food.asp
  • busymommyx3
    busymommyx3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Best decision I have ever made. My advice is that you do tons of research. Read books, online articles, etc. Veganism makes so much sense for so many reasons. My original reasons for being Vegan were because of health reasons, and then after diving into more research I am now doing it moslty for ethical and environmental reasons and the health part is just an added bonus! I started off saying I would give it one month and if I didn't like it I would switch back and when I realized how great it is I decided I would never go back. It is amazing how much I was ignorant to as an ominvore, a whole new world has opened up to me ever since. I also feel absolutely fantastic!!! Good luck! Some great reads are: Vegan for Life by Jack Norris, The Ultimate Vegan Guide by Erik Marcus, The China Study by T Collin Campbell, and many more. These were ones I started off with :)