Why you're NOT seeing results

Options

Replies

• ksmama4
    ksmama4 Posts: 3
    Options
    so if you stay around your bmr and exercise, would you eat back your exercise as well? that is

BMR: 1500
    Calories burned from exercise: 500
    total cals you should eat: 2000 (?)

or do you stay within the 1500-1700 range?

but good post (: really insightful and helpful. Thanks!

It sounds to me like he is saying to eat the calories calculated from the BMR, and the exercising will take care of burning the calories in order to lose. So, I have to disagree with the guy who said eat your calories back :/...according to the above post, that is! So if your BMR says to eat 1500, then that's what you eat.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    [/quote]
    Click here to check out the protein supplement that I recommend. If whey protein shakes isn’t for you, then you’ll want to get in some high-protein foods like eggs, fish, nuts, beans, lentils, or greek yogurt.

I hope this gives you a little insight as to how you can continue to see better, faster results.

LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!

Mark Lopez

Fitness Revolution New Tampa
    [/quote]

Can you post what protein shake he recommends??

Thanks
  • yodapooper
    Options
    Bump
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Good reading. Thanks for sharing
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    the confusing thing is that is not how this site works.This site gives you the 500 calorie deficit for 1 pound a week and people are losing weight so you can do it either way!
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just used the BMR calculator and it's right above 1500, so to lose 1lb a week I should be eating 1000?? Then if I do Zumba which burns 600 I need to eat only 1600?? Wow that's way less than the MFP calculators no wonder I stopped losing and gained a lb even..I've been at a "gain" for over a week and am netting 1200-1300 a week after excersise. MFP calculators had me some days at 2K
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    BMR and Maintenance level calories - TWO very different things.

Don't overcomplicate. Eat at maintenance, let the exercise take care of the caloric deficit.

Is basically what I do .. basically . Lift heavy, tiny bit of cardio - and I EAT.
  • jeepgirl4ever
    Options
    bump
  • xxxhelenaxxx
    xxxhelenaxxx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    He forgot 3 important factors:

1) You don't count your calories intake accurately enough

2) You don't count your calories burn accurately enough

3) You cheat or binge (eg. "it's okay, one bite here and there won't make much of a difference" or you actually binge or overeat)

1, 2 and 3 above = neutral energy balance = plateau.
  • kimmers1027
    kimmers1027 Posts: 122
    Options
    Interesting... Thanks so much for sharing !!
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    great advice!! Thanks for sharing it!
  • mollyquewl
    Options
    bump
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I wish he had defined a plateau... too often it seems you see people freak out because they haven't lost weight in a week and they think oh noooo a plateau. One week of no loss, it happens a lot to me! And then I have weeks where all I do is pee and then lose 2-3 weeks worth of weight. My weight loss is not linear it's more like a staircase. What I'm doing works, and if I tried to tweak it every time I stopped losing for a week or two I'd have been trying to tweak something that wasn't broken in the first place.
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, bump
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pamu101
    Pamu101 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I needed the reminder that I need to keep working at it in order to get over this small plateau I've had for the past few weeks. I have been developing that "why work for no results mentality" and this is normally when I go back to my bad habits. Thanks again, as this may have helped me stay on track. :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I had a trainer last year who rocked and I lost a ton of fat % and inches doing his boot camp and I am still on his newsletter list. Anyways he recently posted a blog on this very topic and I know alot of us get discouraged or need a reminder of what we need to do to accomplish our goals. He pretty much laid it out perfectly..read and enjoy! I hope it helps I am using it myself..:

There’s this dreaded word that’s incorporated with any health and fitness program that NOBODY ever wants to experience.

It’s called a PLATEAU.

It’s what happens when you exercise and/or go on a diet, start seeing results for a little while, then suddenly STOP seeing results.

Most people who try and go at it by themselves reach this at some point, and usually give up some time later.

Because anyone can exercise when you can see results. But when you keep working out, keep eating clean, and see ZERO changes, well who the heck wants to spin their wheels and do all that work for nothing?

Well if you’re not seeing the results you want, it could be due to one or more of these reasons:

1. You’re not training hard enough. Remember, the entire point of training is to create a METABOLIC DISTURBANCE in your body. That means you have to always keep the intensity HIGH so that you don’t plateau and continue seeing results because the human body is VERY GOOD at adapting to physical change and stress. That means heavier weights, more repetitions, higher levels of progression. No matter how much stronger you get, you want to always be pushing yourself to your own personal limits. Everyone has “off” days, but you want to walk into training as often as possible with the mentality that you’re going to get the best workout of your life.

If you’re not sure how to workout and don’t want to avoid the typical pitfalls that 99% of people make, then read this FREE report here.

2. You’re not eating often enough. This is the number one thing you need to focus on if you’re getting 3 or LESS meals in per day. At the very least, you should be getting in your 3 basic meals, and at least 1 snack. If you’re getting 3 or less meals, start by bringing a snack with you to work/school and focus on getting in an extra snack each day for 14 days straight.

3. You’re not eating ENOUGH.Sounds crazy, but a problem I often see is clients not eating ENOUGH calories. Everyone seems to think that 1200 calories is the magic weight loss number, when in reality is complete starvation mode unless you’re a small person to begin with.

What 1200 calories of junk food looks like

For example, one of my client who is seeing amazing results is Lisa. Since starting, Lisa has lost over 15 pounds and 5% body fat. And without revealing too much of Lisa’s stats, let’s just say that Lisa is now under 135 pounds and is in trouble of having her wedding dress fit TOO LOOSELY for her wedding in August. Here’s the catch though…Lisa eats 1400-1600/day calories which is ideal for her weight because she’s taking in enough to fuel her body with all the intense training she does, which fires up her metabolism and burns away fat. I can assure you that if she were eating 1200 calories, her results would suffer. Now if you’re 150-200+ lbs trying to keep to 1200 calories, what are you doing eating like a 130 pounder?

HERE’S WHAT TO DO:

1. Figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate: The number of calories your body burns even if you do nothing) by entering in your info here: BMR Calculator

2. At any given day, you should be eating within 200 calories of this number. It’s become a very popular misconception that if you want to lose 1lb. of fat a week, you eat 500 calories/day LESS than your BMR, thus decreasing you caloric intake by 3500 calories/week, which equals 1lb of fat loss. Sounds great in theory, but for people who are doing intense training, is SLOOOOWING down your results and metabolism and virtually negating the effects of exercise. Think of it this way…you do intense training above normal to raise your metabolism right? So why are you reducing calories BELOW normal to slow your metabolism down?

Moral of the story?

Eat within maintenance calories to fuel your body, and let the training take care of the fat and calorie burning.

*AND NOTE: IF YOU’RE EATING 1200 OR LESS CALORIES EACH DAY AND LOSING WEIGHT, THEN I GUARANTEE THAT YOUR BODY IS EATING AWAY AT YOUR MUSCLES, SLOWING DOWN YOUR METABOLISM, AND PUTTING YOURSELF ON TRACK FOR AN EARLY GRAVE*

Which leads to the next thing you’re probably doing wrong…

4) You’re not eating enough PROTEIN. Let’s say based on what we just discussed (your BMR), you’re supposed to eat 1800 calories/day. Well, calories can only come from protein, carbs, or fats. Ideally, you want about 30% of those calories to come from protein. So 30% of 1800 is 600 calories, or 150 grams of protein (there are 4 calories/1 gram of protein). 150 grams of protein divided by 5 meals/snacks is 30 grams/meal. This is equivelant to eating a small chicken breast 5x/day.

If this sounds like a lot, that’s because it is. BUT, anything less and you’re starving your body and forcing it to eat away at your hard-earned muscles, thus slowing down your metabolism. So if eating 5 chicken breasts/day isn’t do-able, then I highly recommend supplementing with a high-quality whey protein which you can add in to your snacks. Click here to check out the protein supplement that I recommend. If whey protein shakes isn’t for you, then you’ll want to get in some high-protein foods like eggs, fish, nuts, beans, lentils, or greek yogurt.

I hope this gives you a little insight as to how you can continue to see better, faster results.

LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!

Mark Lopez

Fitness Revolution New Tampa

Get a new trainer...

Exercise regardless of how efficient you get at it burns cals, you could easily lose weight while just doing LISS everyday

No metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency

Oh 1,200 cals just puts you in "starvation mode"?

BMR =/= TDEE

lollercoaster, if you eat 1,200 cals you're eating away at your muscles and going to die? Lift heavy and get in adequate protein and that will be minimized

Using %'s for macros? Come on And anything less then 30% of cals you'll start eating away at your muscles?

That trainer prob only has a cert in broscience and fear mongering