why I stopped MFP

Options
I just came back for the first time in nearly a month. When I first started I lost a quick 6-7 pounds, but then got stuck. Id exercise and burn approximately 510 calories a day, eat around 1300 and not really move the scale. Then I got sick and didn't work out for a week, ate closer to 1500 calories a day and boom... lost 3 pounds. I don't know what to do?!?! I tried upping the calorie count to where I was netting 1300 instead of just bringing in 1300 and I gained. I'm SO confused and totally irritated.

I found now that I've gained 4 of the original 7 back, so I came back just to log what I'm eating because obviously trying to log in my head hasn't been working.

I want this to work so much, but am getting so pissed at not being able to figure it out. It's like some sort of mathmatical formula that I'm not getting.

Replies

• pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi Cricket,

We'll need more info but so far it sounds like you may not be eating enough. Tell us a bit more:

1. How much do you want to lose?
    2. What did you set your weekly weight loss goal to in MFP?
    3. Have you calculated your BMR? (there's a calculator for it under "Tools" here in MFP)
    4. What's your exercise routine, and are you still burning ~500 cals doing it?
  • SD2bfit
    SD2bfit Posts: 11
    Options
    I totally understand. I lost 7 lbs. but have gained 5 of them back. My goal is to lose 10-12 lbs., and with the 7 lbs, only 5 to go. Now, feel like I'm nearly starting all over again. The scale seems to have a mind of its own! I do notice that when I do drink more water and get the exercise in daily, even if it's just 30 min., it helps. Lower carbs and higher proteins, (but not high fats!!) also seems to help, especially since I am getting older.

Don't fret over the numbers. I like using my tape measure once a month, and weighing every other day just to track. I've read a lot lately that bloating and daily weight gain (3-4lbs sometimes!) can be related to what you ate for dinner the night before. Trying to figure out what foods cause bloating can help.

Keep up the efforts! It will pay off soon!
  • RosesFitNotes
    RosesFitNotes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    if you workout and burn 300 calories, and MFP says you get to eat that much extra, it maybe wrong. Use the deficit... get extra protein even though it might say you've had enough. I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor. i am trying this app to see if i should recommend it to clients and friends. Once you hit your goal it should keep you on track. Goodluck on your journey! you can do it
  • QueenB985
    QueenB985 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump......can't wait to hear the suggestions because for the last 6 weeks I have faithfully worked out and logged what I'm eating and I'm consistently gaining and losing the SAME 3 pounds!!! I'm getting pretty frustrated too!
  • cricket_0408
    cricket_0408 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Cricket,

We'll need more info but so far it sounds like you may not be eating enough. Tell us a bit more:

3. Have you calculated your BMR? (there's a calculator for it under "Tools" here in MFP)

I keep hearing I'm not eating enough, but I just don't see it. Why would I lose weight when I don't work out and maintain or gain when I do?

1. I want to lose 20 pounds
    2. 2 pounds
    3. Yes, I think it is like 1490. I havent checked in a while.
    4. I have been doing Tae Bo and stationary bike which equals about 510 calories, some days its just Tae Bo which is only about 220.

Thanks! :)
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi Cricket,

I keep hearing I'm not eating enough, but I just don't see it. Why would I lose weight when I don't work out and maintain or gain when I do?

2. 2 pounds
    4. I have been doing Tae Bo and stationary bike which equals about 510 calories, some days its just Tae Bo which is only about 220.

Hi Cricket,

Do you use a heart rate monitor when you're exercising?

1. Set your weight loss goal to 0.5lb per week.
    2. Never eat below 1490 calories. If you eat below your BMR for a while, you eventually slow down your metabolism.

I know it's scary to eat more, but the body needs fuel for the exercise. Your BMR is just what it takes to keep you alive (i.e., if you were in a coma that's how many calories doctors would be giving you via a feeding tube just to maintain body function). I've been through about 4 plateaus since I started losing weigh back in Jan. 2011 and I broke the longest-lasting plateau by eating more.

There is a group here called Eat More to Weigh Less. You might want to join it and get some more knowledge from others :smile:

Good luck!
  • cricket_0408
    Options
    Hi Cricket,

2. 2 pounds

Hi Cricket,

Do you use a heart rate monitor when you're exercising?

1. Set your weight loss goal to 0.5lb per week.
    2. Never eat below 1490 calories. If you eat below your BMR for a while, you eventually slow down your metabolism.

I know it's scary to eat more, but the body needs fuel for the exercise. Your BMR is just what it takes to keep you alive (i.e., if you were in a coma that's how many calories doctors would be giving you via a feeding tube just to maintain body function). I've been through about 4 plateaus since I started losing weigh back in Jan. 2011 and I broke the longest-lasting plateau by eating more.

There is a group here called Eat More to Weigh Less. You might want to join it and get some more knowledge from others :smile:

Good luck!

I'm sure my metabolism is a mess because I've been eating less than that for years. Sure I have "bad" weekends, but never more than a day or 2. I'll change from 2 lbs to 0.5 and see what happens.

Thanks!
  • hinmana
    hinmana Posts: 16
    Options
    I was also told I have to eat more, I gained a pound because my body was in starvation mode. So I started MFP and I lost 3 pounds... so far eating more seems to be working for me!
  • cricket_0408
    Options
    I was also told I have to eat more, I gained a pound because my body was in starvation mode. So I started MFP and I lost 3 pounds... so far eating more seems to be working for me!

That's awesome!! Great job!