HIT YOUR CALORIES!

Options

Replies

• DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I need some clarification as well. so does that mean if for example my calorie goal is 2000 cal a day, i eat 2000 cal a day.. so if i exercise 700 cal.. that brings me down to 1300.. so am i supposed to eat another 700 calories to get back up to 2000? please help.. i have always been confused on this

Cory

I don't. I eat 1300 a day- flat. I burn 500-600 a day in workouts. I don't eat any exercise calories back. It's working for me. I've been consistently losing 1-3 lbs per week since I started. I have plenty of energy, I'm not hungry and I feel great. If I go over my 1300 a little, I don't stress it because I know I burned and the diet creates a deficit. But, I enjoy that my calorie burning creates loss, too.

So you're netting 700-800 calories on days when you workout? That's pretty scary.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Counting calories leads to confusion. So far I've just eaten healthy and eat smaller meals 5 times a day, even if I'm not hungry. I track what I eat and workout 5 times a week and this works well for me. Counting calories is just a big waste of time.

ok? 3500 calories is 1 lb. How is counting calories a waste of time if ur goal is to lose lbs?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from this, but you aren't going to gain weight by eating less than what your body burns in a day. That sort of defies the law of thermodynamics.
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For everyone who doesn't eat the amount of calories they should. Does the idea of netting less than 1000 calories bother you? Or the fact that when you complete your diary its screaming at you that you are not eating enough?
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Have some almonds, avocado, a glass of milk, these are calorie dense foods that are good for you. But eat your calories and your exercise calories. Your body needs fuel, if it doesn't get it enough it will stockpile fat. Its not that difficult.
  • Anndrea08
    Options
    Best bet, see a nutritonist and ask them. That's what I did and she said I am doing well !!! Also, If you are constantly hungry or for that matter, not hungry, you should really see a nutritionalist and it will be a more personally effective.
  • bobby150
    bobby150 Posts: 76
    Options
    sorry I should of clarified I didnt mean your body will go into starvation after one day but you do want to get as close as you can to your magic number. I have just seen alot of people congratulating each other because they are way under their goal. That is where this came from :) good information from everyone though love the feedback. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • bobby150
    Options
    :blushing:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If your body is going in starving mode, it will let you know by making you feel hungry.

If you are not hungry. Then don't eat!

Exactly! Listen to your body!

Actually, in this context your body usually lies. The hormones Leptin and Ghrelin basically tells your brain whether you are hungry or not and these signals do not necessarily have to do with whether you actually should be eating or not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have time to exercise at NIGHT. I am not going to eat 200+ cals after 9pm. Wouldn't that be worse?

No - when you eat has no impact on weight loss, assuming you are hitting your targets.
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    Your body doesn't go into "starvation mode" in one day. If you're under a little one day it isn't going to do anything. Yea if you are consistently under 500+ calories maybe, but a 100-200 a day isn't going to make much of a difference. For most people that is the difference of maybe not weighing/measuring their food or not calculating exercise calories right. I'd be willing to bet that most of us underestimate how much we eat, even though we count our calories.

Personally, I may be over one day and under the next. As long as I'm right around the number for the week is all I care about. It has been working for me.

^^^ yeah what she said ^^^ :drinker:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    People need to understand that not eating enough calories in the day is going to make you gain weight as well! The number that it calculates for you is the number you want to try and hit. When you dont get enough calories your body goes into starvation mode and stores the fat.

debatable..
  • vixkeri
    vixkeri Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So, when you work out you need to eat all the calories back? It seems like everyone has their own opinion on what you should be doing, it's just a little confusing, sorry.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    So, when you work out you need to eat all the calories back? It seems like everyone has their own opinion on what you should be doing, it's just a little confusing, sorry.

As per MFP(probably the best/easiest explanation):

We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

What that means is that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise.

Think of your Net Calories like a daily budget of calories to spend. You spend them by eating, and you earn more calories to eat by exercising.
  • bobby150
    Options

As per MFP(probably the best/easiest explanation):

We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

What that means is that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise.

Think of your Net Calories like a daily budget of calories to spend. You spend them by eating, and you earn more calories to eat by exercising.

AWESOME!
  • bobby150
    Options
    :smile:
  • MrRosi
    MrRosi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Right now I weigh 291 lbs.. First thing I do when I get to the gym is hit the elliptical machine hard for a 30 min.. I burn 640-700 calories just doing that... then I usually burn anywhere from 250-250 doing 20-40 min. of weightlifting. I am sure those numbers will start going down as I keep losing weight,
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    OMG! Really?! I have NEVER heard this before, EVER!!!!
    Why didn't anyone tell me?!
  • topcat1975
    topcat1975 Posts: 10
    Options
    I use a tool that was taught me by Naturally Slim. This program teaches you to eat for 10 minutes, stopping for 5 and then eating again for another 10. Take at least 25 minutes to eat. I still use this and it does help, I do feel full sooner. That is why sometimes I have trouble reaching my calorie goal I feel full sooner and want to stop eating. I usually have a piece of 12 grain bread and I can take the first 10 minutes just eating that. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to eat a meal.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have a serious problem doing this! I'm horrible about not eating breakfast and sometimes if work is crazy Ill skip lunch too! It is so hard for me to get my calories in! And I've had these eating habits for years!

Not eating breakfast is a huge issue - - it's really doing your body a huge disservice.