Joints always popping/cracking?

Options
Almost any exercise I do.. my joints crack. Mostly my knees and hips.
What could be the cause of this and what can I do? It causes slight discomfort when it happens

I'm only 18 years old and 102 lbs. I feel like this is odd?

Replies

• butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    awkward.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine have made grinding and popping sounds since I was about your age.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have the same question! The same thing is happening to me in my hips and knees. It doesn't hurt, but it's not entirely comfortable. It happens when I'm on the elliptical or doing plyometric, body weight type stuff. But it's pretty much all the time. I'm 35
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have the same question! The same thing is happening to me in my hips and knees. It doesn't hurt, but it's not entirely comfortable. It happens when I'm on the elliptical or doing plyometric, body weight type stuff. But it's pretty much all the time. I'm 35
    I found (for myself) that if I pop my hips before I work out, both my hips and my knees are happier DURING).
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My shoulders / elbows have done this since I was about 9. I think once my body started growing into adult shape, the joints/flexors just started struggling and have never stopped. I'm still young, only 26 now, but pushups are a constant battle. pop pop pop griiiiiind.. but it doesn't really hurt. just makes odd noises.

what is really weird... is if i have a lot of sugar during the day.. one of my shoulders hurts terribly. that is super weird but it always happens!
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I've always done that too. Since I've been drinking more water, 8 to 10 glasses a day, I haven't noticed it anymore though. Maybe try really hydrating?
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well. My knees are so noisy! My doctor said not to worry about it, unless they start to hurt.
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My knees and elbows always crack. I could bend my leg and my knee cracks then straighten it and bend and it cracks. I am 37 and have had this issue since I was maybe 12. I just think it's something to do with how your body grew.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Most of the time.. it's just nitrogen releasing.. like air popping under ur knuckles. If it's painful, I suggest seeing a chiropractor. My chiropractor has done wonders for my back, hips and knees... by putting things where they need to go.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.. My joints have been popping/cracking since .. Well, probably as far back as I can remember. As long as it's not causing you any progressive discomfort, it shouldn't be a big concern.

[Edited for typo]
  • ironman1431
    ironman1431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Joint popping or cracking is not usually a big deal, unless it is painful when it occurs. On the one hand, joints can generally make noise. Think about how many bones you have in your body (206), some of these joints will crack or make sounds, and it is usually nitric oxide leaving a joint capsule-the crack is a quick pressure change in the joint, no different than when you crack your knuckles. Secondly, it could be due to a muscle tendon slipping/flipping over a bony prominence-this often happens at the patello femoral joint (knee cap), and also at the anterior superior iliac spine (front of the hip) with the rectus femoris muscle and the ITB over the side of the hip. Bottom line, unless it is extremely painful don't worry about it.

Grinding on the other hand i.e. sounds like rice krispies cereal when you bend and straighten your knee (while sitting and or squatting) underneath your knee cap may be associated with osteoarthritis.
  • Mexie1
    Mexie1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Started when I was under 5 with my fingers, wrists and knees. Now I think just about every joint in my body cracks - jaw, back, neck, shoulders, hips, elbows, ankles, toes. I have a habit of cracking them whenever my attention shifts, I have to have a bit of a stretch and crack, they get stiff and uncomfortable if I don't. I never have any pain with it, just discomfort if they go too long without cracking, which is then relived by cracking them. When I am at altitude (skiing holidays or on a plane) I have no need to crack my joints.

From doing a bit of researching, it doesn't appear to increase risk of arthritis. I do wonder if cracking my wrists all the time contributed to getting ganglions but I think that is more down to genetics and gymnastics.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    I've always done that too. Since I've been drinking more water, 8 to 10 glasses a day, I haven't noticed it anymore though. Maybe try really hydrating?

I drink about 100 oz per day lol, not that your point isn't good :) I just know I'm not dehydrated lol. Drink drink drink
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Almost any exercise I do.. my joints crack. Mostly my knees and hips.
    What could be the cause of this and what can I do? It causes slight discomfort when it happens

I'm only 18 years old and 102 lbs. I feel like this is odd?

Maybe you are out of alignment? Occasionally my chiropractor has to adjust my hips, and that seems to alleviate the popping and 'something isn't quite right' feeling
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    Joint popping or cracking is not usually a big deal, unless it is painful when it occurs. On the one hand, joints can generally make noise. Think about how many bones you have in your body (206), some of these joints will crack or make sounds, and it is usually nitric oxide leaving a joint capsule-the crack is a quick pressure change in the joint, no different than when you crack your knuckles. Secondly, it could be due to a muscle tendon slipping/flipping over a bony prominence-this often happens at the patello femoral joint (knee cap), and also at the anterior superior iliac spine (front of the hip) with the rectus femoris muscle and the ITB over the side of the hip.
    . This muscle tendon thing at the front of the hip is prob whats going on with me. Thanks! I just worry it might lead to repetitive motion injury or something
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    Joint popping or cracking is not usually a big deal, unless it is painful when it occurs. On the one hand, joints can generally make noise. Think about how many bones you have in your body (206), some of these joints will crack or make sounds, and it is usually nitric oxide leaving a joint capsule-the crack is a quick pressure change in the joint, no different than when you crack your knuckles. Secondly, it could be due to a muscle tendon slipping/flipping over a bony prominence-this often happens at the patello femoral joint (knee cap), and also at the anterior superior iliac spine (front of the hip) with the rectus femoris muscle and the ITB over the side of the hip. Bottom line, unless it is extremely painful don't worry about it.

Grinding on the other hand i.e. sounds like rice krispies cereal when you bend and straighten your knee (while sitting and or squatting) underneath your knee cap may be associated with osteoarthritis.

Thank you for explaining the difference, I have both types of noises, now I know why.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem and went to the doctor. After some x-rays they said it was Osteoarthritis. If it is at all painful or you get some swelling you should see a doctor. Baically though they told me to take an anti-inflamitory (aleve or ibubrofen) and do low impact workouts and build my quad muscles (my issue is mainly the knees).
  • miss_september
    Options
    My body has done this for a very long time--not intentionally, just sometimes my joints make those noises. Since I've started taking MoveFree, it has helped. I don't get the sounds as often--only occasionally now. It tends to happen to me more when it is cold out, or if I have a particularly large work out before bed, then the next morning when I am stiff.