5K possible?

Options
prism6
prism6 Posts: 484 Member
I have always dreamt of running but never could. Either too busy or out of shape. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on trying a race sometime. I walk alot, and even do an hour on the treadmill at a hill incline. I know that walking is different than running,but where to start? Do you get yelled at if you can't finish?

Replies

• meesapanda89
    Options
    Have you heard of the Couch to 5K program?

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I did it and that's how I started running. I can now run around 6 miles non-stop, and am hoping to increase my distance further and eventually run a half marathon! Check it out :)
  • prism6
    Options
    Thanks,I will
  • Anikib
    Anikib Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Love couch to 5k! If you have a iPhone they have a couch to 10k app .
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I just started my C25K journey today (week 1, day 1). If I can do it anyone can do it.

Get the Endomondo app for your phone and it will track your distance, calories, pace etc and download the Ullyer C25K podcast (you can get it for free from Apple istore or download it from the website provided above and add it to whatever device you use when you are out).
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible. The couch to 5K training is a terrific place to start. You'd definitely be able to finish even if you had to walk. Most 5K runs (especially the ones that aren't chip timed) usually have a large group of walkers that just line up at the end of the start crowd, so I wouldn't worry about being yelled at being out on the course late.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MyTime4Health
    Options
    I've been working out using from Couch to 5k I'm on week three of the program. I love it. If I can do this so can you, it's easy, gradually gets you running. A must try!!
  • soontobesam
    Options
    I just started my C25K journey today (week 1, day 1). If I can do it anyone can do it.

Get the Endomondo app for your phone and it will track your distance, calories, pace etc and download the Ullyer C25K podcast (you can get it for free from Apple istore or download it from the website provided above and add it to whatever device you use when you are out).

I didn't look at the link provided above my post - you can download the podcast from this website http://www.c25k.com/
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If you are walking on a treadmill for an hour you can definitely work your way up to a 5K!!! I had never run more than a mile (and that was in high school gym class many, many years ago) before this time last year. I started by doing walk/run intervals where I would walk for 3 minutes, run 1, walk 3, run 1 and then gradually cut back the walking and extended the running until I was running 10 minutes, then 20 minutes, then 30 minutes at a time. Once I got to that point I started working on mileage. Got up to 3 miles at a time and did my first 5K last summer... loved it so much ran a 10K a few months later and then a few months after that I did a 1/2 marathon. I just ran my 2nd 1/2 marathon 2 weeks ago. You can do it as long as you set your mind to it and are willing to push yourself. The sense of accomplishment is amazing. I'm not fast but I usually end up somewhere in the middle of the pack for my age group. I have, however, officially become a race junkie :)

And don't worry about being able to finish... there are plenty of people who walk through portions of the races... as long as you can move yourself in the forward direction you will get there.

Good Luck!
  • ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to get through Cto5K myself (I think Week 4 was as far as I got) but I'm determined this time to finish it. Tons of people have had great success with it and it's a great place to start, I think. But as someone else said, there are a lot of walkers who do a 5k so while I think it's an awesome fitness goal to try and run the whole thing, you certainly won't embarrass yourself if you don't finish.
  • prism6
    Options
    Thanks all, one problem though, I don't have a cell phone GASP! but some good suggestions,and I will try and check out the video suggested.
  • calanthium
    Options
    I started the C25k program last year. I downloaded a podcast and ran with that, repeating weeks here and there because our neighborhood is hilly. The first time you enter a 5k race, find a fun run because you'll have all sorts of levels running. Thanksgiving is a great time because so many places have Turkey Trots which is often a fun run/walk for some charity. Where I live, Crimestoppers does a Fun Run in October and you get all sorts - people in costumes, grandmothers in jewelry and just walking, serious runners and everything in between. It was so fun, my family is training to run it together this year.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    No cell phone. Oh my... lol :tongue:

No problem - you can get the exact schedule off the website another user posted. Take the schedule posted and make it work for you!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • anamikaman
    Options
    I've wanted to run for a while as well. I think I'll try the couch to 5K! Wish me luck!
  • hopefulfolk
    Options
    If you're really going from couch to 5k consider walking it before you run, but, don't let anything stop you - you can do it!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You can walk 5k races. I can't do high impact like running so I walk in the race which generally have several other walkers. Start doing the race walking.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    once you run across that finish line for the first time, your life will completely change.

trust me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible - find yourself a program (C25K is great, but there are others too) and go for it.

Don't push too hard at first - C25K combines running and walking to build upb your endurance. Don't try to run too fast, run at a pace that you can sustain for the interval you are running. If it feels slow - that's fine, speed can come later.

Most of all - enjoy it, you can absolutly do it (I went from couch to 12k race in 7 months last year, half marathon this year!)

And don't worry about the race itself - you can walk part of it if you need to, there will always be people who go fast, but lots of slow runners or run/walkers too. It's a great experience, and one I highly recommend, the buzz you get from completing a race is fantastic!
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did all 9 weeks of C25K and RAN my first 5K April 7th. And I am a 40 year old fatty!!

But, if you can't run the whole thing that is just fine too! Most 5K's have a 2 hour time limit and if it's being run at the same time as a 10K or a half marathon the course will be open for 4 hours. You can definitely do that!!

And if you can't...no, nobody yells at you. :flowerforyou:
  • matthewmma
    matthewmma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started running 4 years ago, could barely managed a few hundred yards before I had to walk, struggled after 20 minutes or so. Then I did my first half marathon 6 months after I started running and caught the running bug ever since!

Just did my PB in half marathon about a month ago, now I got my first marathon coming up this Sunday!

take it easy at the start and be persistent, that couch to 5k programme sounds ideal for you.