Vegetarian/Vegan information sources

Options
vim_n_vigor
vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
I have a friend at work that has decided to become vegetarian/vegan (I am not sure if she will eat any dairy. I know she won't eat fish, and suspect eggs are a no-go for her too).

I am concerned that she isn't really getting any good nutrients in her body right now, forget the argument about how to get enough protein with a vegan diet, she is primarily eating canned foods. Lunch is usually canned fruit cocktail, breakfast is canned green beans. I obviously don't know what she eats for dinner. For all I know, she goes home and eats a ton of real food with real nutrients in it.

Does anyone have any sources I could pass on to her on how to plan a healthy vegan/vegetarian diet without relying on such poor nutrient sources? She is really not looking healthy right now and I am concerned for her health.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    Options
    bump
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Bump
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Meat and dairy don't really have any nutritional value so statistically speaking, a person eating a plant based diet is generally less likely to suffer from as much vitamin deficiency as someone who eats the Standard American Diet. I would recommend that she take a B12 supplement though in order to prevent a future deficiency which could cause nerve problems. Take a look at www.vrg.org for good info.
  • JayneTraub
    JayneTraub Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It is quite easy for new vegetarians and vegans to not get enough variety in their diet because they just dont know what to eat - and can easily have a very restricted diet. The best thing is for her have a look on www.vegansociety.co.uk - it has a really good community who will answer questions and also provide nutrional information. Other than that vegan/vegetarian cookbooks will help add variety. Eating lots of canned and process foods is not a good way to go, nor surviving on cheese & eggs if she has only become vegetarian.

People sometimes argue that vegetarian and vegan diets lack protein but this can be found in things like bread and of course things like tofu also provide protein. As mentioned in the post above supplements can pick up on the B12 but then again the B vitatimins are usually found in fortified cereals if she eats them for breakfast.

Hope this helps.

Jayne
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you'd just be better off speaking to her about the benefits of fresh food rather than tinned. She could prepare a fresh fruit salad to have for breakfast, and steam some beans to have for lunch if that's what she chooses to eat. You can make up batches of food in advance, so it needn't be any less convenient. You could also maybe suggest she has some nuts as snacks to get in some fat and some protein.

In the end though, as sweet as it is of you to care about her, only she can make her choices, so I would recommend making some helpful suggestions, but if she doesn't chose to follow your advice then you will have to let her take her own path.
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Meat and dairy don't really have any nutritional value so statistically speaking, a person eating a plant based diet is generally less likely to suffer from as much vitamin deficiency as someone who eats the Standard American Diet. I would recommend that she take a B12 supplement though in order to prevent a future deficiency which could cause nerve problems. Take a look at www.vrg.org for good info.

*like*
    I am a vegetarian. I think one of the most important aspects is eating "green" food. I can remember when I started there would be DAYS when I did not eat a single vegetable (crazy- right?!). It is so easy to think being a vegetarian is healthy. Also- eating FRESH fruits and veggies is more nutritious than that canned stuff (a lot of the fruits are sitting in syrup).

Stirfrys are super easy to make and are chock full of veggies!!! Add some tofu and you're golden :)
    There are a lot of recipes for homemade veggie burgers (I am lazy- so I just buy the pre made stuff)
    Also remember- a salad does not have to be boring ;)