Soda Addict

Options
Ok...so I drink 3+ cans of DIETsoda a day. I think i can safely say i'm addicted to caffiene. So my question is how do I stop?

Here's the problem....1- I am deployed on a Navy ship, so the water tastes like s**t, and the "juice" is even worse... 2- I REALLY really really like it, hence the "addict" part. 3- I dont sleep well as it is...

ok, brainstorm...go!

Replies

• bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    What about Propel or Crystal Lite Packets and bottled water? And maybe no quitting cold turkey, just cut down to one a day at first? Good luck! :smile:
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Either just stop and chug down the water like you would alcohol at a party or slowly cut back. How long are you deployed? Maybe wait until you get to some land and can access nice water and crap to add to water to make it nice? You will have withdrawals from the caffeine if you are truly addicted, it will suck butt but you'll be fine make friends with paracetamol.
  • OMGItzRory
    Options
    Man that is a hard one cus of where you are. For me the only way I cut out soda was when I got on meds that made soda taste bad, (makes it taste flat) so at that point no matter how water tastes it tastes better then flat soda. 2 years now I only drink water. Just a warning though even though soda tastes bad to me I still crave it cus it's addicting.
  • reallythatmuch
    Options
    Having just gone cold turkey as a serious diet coke addict, I am now addicted to green tea which I used to replace it. Do you have someone ashore who can post you Berocca tablets. My hubby is in the Army and is in Afghanistan on ops and he says these make the water taste nice. You put a tablet in the water and it fizzes and adds flavour - orange, fruits of the forest etc. If you do not then pm me and I will send you an initial pack :) The one thing I have noticed is that my tummy does not feel as bloated since giving up so it is worth doing (though I still get a sneaky coke zero if at the garage!!!) Meant to say I saw from your profile that you are in Newport and I am from Newport as well - but Newport in wales in United Kingdom!!
  • ChrisIn757
    ChrisIn757 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @rita what is paracetamol?

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I've tried going "cold turkey" before, but the best I've ever gotten was when i was on shore duty down to 1 a day.
  • Blondeweightloss
    Options
    @rita what is paracetamol?

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I've tried going "cold turkey" before, but the best I've ever gotten was when i was on shore duty down to 1 a day.

Acetaminophen is what they are called in the USA :)
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    you think 3 a day is being addicted? I am a coke addict for sure. I use to have 8-12 cans of coke or even more everyday. I gave them up about 8wks ago and might have one every week or two.

i didn't want to do diet since those sweeteners are not good for you and I didn't want to cut down as if I do it daily i will just go back to drinking too many.

I have quit before but not for this long, as something changed and i just don't want them anymore. i can not explain it but i just don't care to have one. my health and goals of getting into shape outweigh the taste of a coke.

you can get caffeine in other forms as well. as for what you can drink do you guys get any sports drinks or anything like that? if you get lemon put that in the water it will help a lot.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The headaches is what gets me. I stopped having soda or caffeine for along time and about 5 months ago started having an energy drink here and there and now I'm hooked. If I go too long without one I get a headache. I believe there are caffeine pills but haven't looked into them yet.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke! I have switched over to crystal light/ ocean spray/ etc flavor packets to liven up plain old water. It has definitely helped to curb my soda cravings. Now I hardly drink any soda at all.