Fast meals for late night

Options
jfield6
jfield6 Posts: 56
On Thursday nights we have baseball practice. We leave the house at 5:00 and get home after 8:00. What are some good really quick low cal or low carb recipes that we can throw together? Crockpot recipes are welcome, but I would like some regular recipes too. I know we can have leftovers too, but sometimes we don't have any.

Then I'm trying to decide if we should eat before we go to practice. DH sometimes doesn't get lunch until 2:00 or so.

TIA!

Replies

• jfield6
    Options
    No one??
  • allnamesgone
    allnamesgone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We have the same issues. I like to grill chicken ahead of time and throw it in a salad or even a pasta salad. Sometimes we eat scrambled eggs with lots of veggies on those nights. I'm easy...I can eat oatmeal, cereal with fruit, a package of steamed brocolli and cauliflower, cottage cheese and fruit, whatever. My husband isn't as easy.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Shrimp fajitas are a favorite for me. Buy the shrimp already cleaned or clean it in advance. I chop up zucchini, onions, peppers, mushrooms...whatever is on hand. Sautee in olive oil with red pepper, cumin chili powder or whatever you like to season with. Add the shrimp last. I serve with salsa, avacado and greek yogurt. I eat in corn tortillas, but you could serve with black beans for lower carb option. I can have this meal on the table in 10 minutes.
  • jfield6
    Options
    These are exactly what I'm looking for! Anyone else?
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    brocolli, eggplant, mushrooms nd steamed chicken breast. Then I add bolognese sauce so its hearty. I load the vegs so that there's loads in my pan and I get to keep lefrovers
  • sonyalear2012
    sonyalear2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Tilapia fillets only take 12 mins in the oven to cook...i put black pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, Mrs. Dash extra spicy...very good...also we have shrimp sauteed in olive oil with red pepper , brown rice and broccoli...a great quick meal:heart:
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    We have this same issue.......I leave the house at 3 and we usually don't get back home till after 9, 6 kids lots of activites, and lots of picky eaters! Any crockpot ideas?
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Here's a fast crockpot meal:

a few chicken breasts (boneless)
    a can of black beans
    a can of corn
    salsa

when finished, shred, add more salsa if desired, and put on tortillas, brown rice, or eat plain. Of course, my kids like it with avocado and cheese!

It's our standby, need-something-quick meal.
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Shrimp fajitas are a favorite for me. Buy the shrimp already cleaned or clean it in advance. I chop up zucchini, onions, peppers, mushrooms...whatever is on hand. Sautee in olive oil with red pepper, cumin chili powder or whatever you like to season with. Add the shrimp last. I serve with salsa, avacado and greek yogurt. I eat in corn tortillas, but you could serve with black beans for lower carb option. I can have this meal on the table in 10 minutes.

that sounds DEELISH! MIGHT try that tonite!
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options

a can of black beans
    a can of corn
    salsa

when finished, shred, add more salsa if desired, and put on tortillas, brown rice, or eat plain. Of course, my kids like it with avocado and cheese!

That's sounds yummy! Thanks!
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options

a can of black beans
    a can of corn
    salsa

Are you adding seasoning at all to the chicken or letting the salsa do the work for you?
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Slice mushrooms, pan fry with a spritz of cooking oil spray until softened. Add loads of spinach and a couple tablespoons of water, and put a lid on the pan, leave until the spinach has wilted. While that's cooking put a piece of wholemeal/multiseed bread in the toaster. Take the lid off the pan and let it simmer for a bit to let the excess water evaporate off, or you can just pour it off. Then I add a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, pepper, salt, take it off the heat and add a tablespoon of low fat yoghurt to make it creamy. Serve it on the toast, with salad and ketchup if you like :) Sometimes I add sliced/cubed tomatoes to the mushrooms.
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Breakfast.... Omelettes, eggs with veggies - make a wrap
    Soup
    Dice chicken up before you leave - let it marinate then just saute it - takes about 15 minutes - cook some rice ( I usually just make for my son ) and I use the microwave to steam my veggies... ( It takes longer to clean up than cook ... lol )

My son plays baseball too and this is the time of year we eat out a lot- Last night he had Arby's and I ( refrained :) ) and I made Birdseye Asparagus Stir Fry- took only 5 minutes to cook and was pretty good- I spiced it up a bit with some garlic and ginger.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options

a can of black beans
    a can of corn
    salsa

Are you adding seasoning at all to the chicken or letting the salsa do the work for you?

I don't add anything else. I let the salsa do the work. :)
  • hebenn01
    hebenn01 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There is a book called 300 under 300. 300 EASY and quick meals with little prep time. I downloaded it and have it on my phone. Great to have on you when you're out at the grocery store and need to pick up the ingredients.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    chili is always good. we don't do the crockpot but i know you can.

just brown the meat, add beans, crushed tomatoes, spices.....doesn't take very long. and I think mom uses a pound of ground beef, and we're still eating on it this third day (family of 4)

or be unconventional and eat what you would have for like a lunch

for me-turkey and cheese, yogurt, milk, nuts, things like that
  • sigill
    sigill Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same problem. With me it's all about planning. I try and cook a couple of meal a month that can feed 4 and put the other 3 meals in the freezer.

Bean chilli is a one of my favourites for this...and to be honest i reckon you could do this pretty quick too. Its great because its low in fat but packed with good carbs so its a great meal for active people and it with the texture of the beans it quite a hearty meal.

Onion
    Garlic
    Red pepper
    5 cans of beans (make sure one is kidney beans) (Sweetcorn adds a really nice sweetness to it too)
    Tomato Puree
    Passata
    Can of chopped toms
    Chilli Powder
    Fresh Coriander

Real easy to make. Fry the onion,garlic and peppers for a bit then throw in the beans and stir it all up. Add the passata,purre and toms.( i dont alwasy use/need the toms depends how much passatta you use) once its all combinded and simmering away add as much chilli powder as you like to get the heat and taste to your liking. Now let this simmer for a while then add the fresh coriander portion it up and serve with rice. without the rice you are looking at about 400-450 cals a portion and it really filling.

Seeing the beans are already cooked in the can and all you really need to do is warm them through you can pretty much forget about letting it simmer for while. Once it's all together put your rice on and go take a shower. Once your done chilli is ready to rock.

Tuna pasta back is another quick one you can do and will also feed 4. Although this wont freeze very well, but makes a nice lunch cold the next day.

2 cans of tuna
    1 can sweetcorn
    1 jar of tomato and chilli pasta sauce (or what ever you want)
    Just enough cheese to cover it in a baking dish
    Enough pasta to cover the bottom of a medium baking dish

This ones real quick......put you pasta on..while that is cooking warm up your pasta sauce and add your tunna and sweetcorn. You can add mushroom, peppers what ever you like. Once the pasta is cooked and your sauce is hot add it all together put it in a backing dish and cover with cheese...Not to much...just enough to cover it. Then put it under the grill untill the cheese is all melted and crispy. I alway serve it with some salad. If you have everything in already in this one is on the table in about 15mins. If you dont want to use a jarred sauce just use a tin of toms and add some herbs and spices to your own liking.

Hope these help
  • palmeida88
    Options
    Grilled chicken with mushrooms and cheese

Grilled chicken with sauteed mushrooms and cheese, it only takes about 7 minutes to grill the chicken and sautee mushrooms at the same time, then once the chicken is about ready place cheese on top (i use colby and cheddar block cheese) once its slightly melted top it off with the mushrooms.... for side i do steamed veggies, you can buy the bags (steamfresh or birds eye) the bad takes 7 minutes so the meal takes about 10-15 minutes or less to make and is delish with low calories :)