What is your HR when running?

Options
2»

Replies

• sailorsiren13
    Options
    My HR goes about the same as the OP and i'm 37 yo female as soon as i'm done running it goes back to normal. I'm not really worried about it.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    On a steady run on a flat plane, usually around 160 but on an incline can go up to 185+. When playing basketball I've logged a highest HR at 202bpm - but that wouldn't be sustained for more than a few seconds (can take some effort sprinting full speed down the court and then launching a 90kg body into the air).
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 years old. On a recent 2-mile run at an average pace of 7:20, my average heart rate was 161 with a max of 178.
    On a recent 10.5 mile trail run at an average pace of 10:50, my average heart rate was still 161 with a max of 174.
    So on the trail run, even though I was running slower, my heart rate was about the same because of the hilly terrain. Both of these are at least partly beyond a conversational pace. I'm running alone so I don't mind sucking wind to run faster. Hahaha...
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Im 26. Steady runs i avg about 160, Races particualaly shorter distances ill avg around 180 to 185, and longer races i avg about 170 to 180, and if im speed trainging i run at over 190. my highest is 201
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When calculating your resting heart rate, take it the first thing in the morning as soon as you wake up BEFORE even setting your feet on the ground. Do this for Three days in a row and you should get a clear idea as what your resting heart rate is. Once you have your resting heart rate, then you can use the below information to calculate your target range!

It has long been accepted as an approximation, that your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) starts out at 220 beats per minute and falls by one beat each year. Therefore, you can calculate your Maximum Heart Rate by deducting your age from 220. So a good estimate of Maximum Heart Rate for a 40 year old is 180 (220-40 (age)) and for a 20 year old is 200 (200-20).

However, the relationship is not perfectly linear and as we age, especially if we maintain a high level of fitness, our Maximum Heart Rate falls by less than one beat each year. A closer approximation is to accept the one year one beat rule until you reach 30. After 30 it is only .5 a beat per year. This may be summarized by the following formula:

Maximum Heart Rate equals:
    (Age 30 or below)

220 - age

(Age above 30)

190 - (age-30)/2

For example, at age 50 the Maximum Heart Rate equals: 190-(50-30)/2=180 bpm

Now, you can find your heart rate reserve (if you will). This range is from your RHR all the way to your MHR. Now you can determine what zone you want to train in depending on your focus. Below is the calculations for finding your ranges:

What is your Resting Heart Rate (RHR)

What is your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR)

Heart Rate Reserve (HRR) equals MHR-RHR

Fat Burning Range(bottom)=RHR+hrr*.5

Example

RHR 60
    MHR 180
    HRR=180-60=120
    Fat Burning Range(bottom)=60+(120*50%)=120 bps

Another example:

Resting Heart Rate(RHR): 60
    Maximum Heart Rate(MHR): 180
    Heart Rate Reserve(HRR): 120

Fat Burning: From 120 to 132 beats per minute
    Aerobic: From 132 to 144 beats per minute
    Steady State: From 144 to 156 beats per minute
    Anaerobic: From 156 to 168 beats per minute
    Maximal: From 168 to 180 beats per minute

Sorry this was so long, I hope it helps you!

Regards,
    Jay

Thought I'd try this as my Polar often says I am above 175 and sometimes I hit 186 and could still continue. This is usually jogging on a teadmill or on the cross trainer.

I'm 43 and my resting heart rate is about 63. When I tried the calculations that means when I am working out my HR is always in the maximal. Any chance someone better at math than me could check this?
    If that's right, should I be concerned about damaging my heart or anything (I feel ok when I work out, I'm sweating and breathing heavy but I don't feel dreadful. I've been working out 4 or 5 days a week for just over 4 months, before that zilch really.) or does this formula just not work for me?
  • vipergts223
    vipergts223 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am 30 and i range from 152 to 170 during a run
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yeah, according to the forumula presented, my max rate is 188. I get upwards of 185 on runs, and though I'm carrying extra weight now, I've been running for years.

I can still carry on a conversation, as I run no faster than a 6 mph on the treadmill, so I have to say, like everything, forumulas are a good startng place, but they can be bunk too.
  • scott2178
    scott2178 Posts: 41
    Options
    I've just started running in January but here are my last numbers. I'm 33 yrs old.
    5K Hills Workout (10:00 min/mi) : Avg. 161 Max 176
    5 Mile Distance Workout (10:09 min/mi) : Avg 160 Max 182
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    120 jog, 120-130 running, maybe 135 sprinting.
  • blueraidermike
    Options
    HR is personal, like your shoe size. For example, my resting HR is low, around 55-60, but when I run, am still aerobic up to about 164, I can average 190s for a 20 min average if I am running a 5K with a max of about 206-207. It doesn't mean I am more or less fit, its just my ranges.

The key is once you know your HR zones you can test your fitness and progress...for instance I know I am getting more fit when I see my paces at a set HR zone, say the 164 beats per minutes, increase from a 9:00 min pace per mile to an 8 min pace per mile. - this shows I am still aerobic but running faster - and get to log more calories burned!

Edit to Add: those that use the whole subtract a number from your age will find that not to be your "actual" HR zone or zones...you have to actually do a HR test. Here is the protocol...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    @230pounds=170-200bpm (170 on the low end when I start out) I average 180's in the middle of the run and and 200when it's about quitting time, 20yrs. old