eliptical overestimating calories burnt?

I do 20 km Mon-Fri on the eliptical on random, max resistance (20). Calories on the machines are 2310 and MFP says 2295.

I'm wondering if this is too high my heart rate doesn't get that high according to the machine between 120 to 130

I also walk to work which used to be 275-300 calories according to my pedometer but I've stopped logging this.

I'm wondering wether it's worth getting a HRM to get a more accurate calories burned figure?

Replies

• jbad
    jbad Posts: 5
    I always wear a HR monitor and have noticed that the machines at the gym consistently overestimate my calorie burn. With the HR monitor I can wear it when I do strength training and abdominal work too.
  • MontagneGitane
    MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
    Since getting my HRM, I've found that both the gym machines and MFP have been overly generous in their calories burned estimates. Sounds like you're getting a pretty awesome burn no matter what, but I'd say that a HRM is a great investment for anyone wanting a more accurate calorie count. I've certainly never once regretted getting one.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Machines that allow for you to input your age and weight and inaccurate, but less so than ones that dont.
    Machines use the work you do to calculate calories burned. It is probably safe to say they overestimate.

HRM estimate calories burned based on percentage of max heart rate. They are also mildly inaccurate, but less so than machines.

If you are eating back exercise calories, only eat about 60-70% of them back and you should be kosher.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    If you are eating back exercise calories, only eat about 60-70% of them back and you should be kosher.

Either that or increase your daily calorie goal by 5% to 10% and don't worry about eating them back. All the HRM and machine measurements aren't all that accurate anyway.