short person --> is 1200 calories right?

Options
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether 1200 is right for a short person. I know it is often advised against for others, but then I think the average individual is taller than me. I am only 4'11". I am trying to eat properly and I calculated this amount. I sometimes find it difficult to reach. I don't feel hungry maybe because I eat a lot of vegetables, beans, etc. throughout the day. I was wondering whether this amount sounds 'right' for my height, because I don't know whether it might be too high or too low. I am at university and do not exercise a great deal while here, just walking to the library etc. so I don't count those. I would like to lose some weight but also I would like to focus on eating normally. Thanks for any help. Sorry if this post is annoying.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether 1200 is right for a short person. I know it is often advised against for others, but then I think the average individual is taller than me. I am only 4'11". I am trying to eat properly and I calculated this amount. I sometimes find it difficult to reach. I don't feel hungry maybe because I eat a lot of vegetables, beans, etc. throughout the day. I was wondering whether this amount sounds 'right' for my height, because I don't know whether it might be too high or too low. I am at university and do not exercise a great deal while here, just walking to the library etc. so I don't count those. I would like to lose some weight but also I would like to focus on eating normally. Thanks for any help. Sorry if this post is annoying.

All I can say is try it - I'm 4ft 11, and losing in 1600 calories a day. 1200 made me ill and it wasn't enough for me, but other do fine on it.

Have a look here and see what it estimates your daily calorie requirements are -

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5' and have spent years (around 15) struggling with calories, eating disorders etc.... My advice is don't fall into the trap of eating too little as this will well and truly mess you up and you'll end up having to live on 800 or less just to maintain!

Try using the calculator on fat2fit or fitness frog as they give you a more accurate reading based on your lifestyle. I think that you'll find that 1200 is too low.

Let me know how you get on x
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

All I can say is try it - I'm 4ft 11, and losing in 1600 calories a day. 1200 made me ill and it wasn't enough for me, but other do fine on it.

Have a look here and see what it estimates your daily calorie requirements are -

Hey...Are your TOTAL calories 1600 or your NET calories 1600?

Just asking because I am now netting 1200 calories (eating back my exercise calories trying not to go over 1600 calories total) and the scale is not budging.

I have thrown it out but it didn't for the longest time :(

And I don't think NETTING less than 1200 calories is safe...Thoughts?

Thanks!
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I'm doing 1200 calories a day and finding it no problem at all. I do eat back my exercise calories but I don't exercise every day. I also have quite a sedentary job so don't get about much during the day but I'm losing on it.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    1200 is to low
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have long since struggled with this! I am 4'10.5 and I always feel because I have a small frame that I need less. NOT TRUE. I am at a weight where I am generally maintaining. BUT I also am gaining strength, and just pretty much shocked my system in terms of my nutrition and exercise AND I have been sick. I eat about 1400 a day right now, and have thought about perhaps increasing slowly to about 1800 a day. I find I am not hungry though to eat more than that, so I am doing OK with 1400 ATM. I may change this come June. Make sure you get at LEAST 1200.
  • smurfee11
    smurfee11 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi, Im 4"11 too and im at 1800 calories right now trying to lose that last 15 pounds.. seems hi i know. Go to the group "eat more to weigh less" and check with kiki, she will help you with your correct numbers. I lost nothing for 6 months at 1200 calories. Now im eating and losing inches. Also check the website fitnessfrog.com and punch in your numbers. :)
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Good luck here -there is a lot of info here and a lot of helpful people. I am 5 feet flat but I just started on MFP. I have taken the advice from the group "Eat More, Weigh Less" as well as the "Olivia Method". I have increased my calories per day AND just increased my protein intake. It is too early to see results but the theories from these two groups go back to when women were just becoming world champion fitness queens, and that advice is still right today.

One more resource for you about eating less than 700 calories and still overweight - don't get caught up in not getting enough calories, your body will rebel - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Exact same for me
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi there,

I recommend fat2fit radio... http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

I am 5' 0" and eating at 1958 cals - this is my fat2fit radio 'goal weight' maintainance amount.

It is slow and steady but I see this as for life! I lost weight before on 1200 - 1500 cals and put back on every time.

I'm about 7 weeks in at eating more and 4 weeks at eating 1958 and the scale has just started to go down : ) I don't eat back my execise calories at this figure as my exercise is already calculated in, but eating an even amount every day has stopped me feeling hungry on non-workout days.

Another benefit is that eating 'enough' has crushed any desire to binge : )

Also highly recommend the 'eat more to weigh less' group!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" currently in maintenance mode and building muscle. When I started MFP I followed the 1200 calories. When I exercised I ate more and tried to net 1200 calories. I did not have any problems losing. But everyone is different, I would advise you to get as close to it as you can. I'm in maintenance and eating 1600 calories a day.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think activity level is a big thing here. People generally say you should eat above your bmr (the amount of calories you need if you are in a coma). Tdee is the amount of calories you actually burn in a day. Recently I've been sick and so damn near sedentary. According to my bodybugg I burn about 1700 cals a day then. My bmr is 1400, so if I eat that, I won't have a 500 cal deficit. That's fine for me temporarily, but if you habitually don't exercise, it will slow things down a lot.

That said, you will also lose muscle if you don't exercise, so you should look into at home body weight resistance programs so that you can keep your muscle as you lose fat.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and net around 1400 (with exercise it's about 1700 or so).

Is this a "diet" which you see as temporary, or a lifestyle change that you're going to maintain?

Ideally, you want your body to become accustomed to more calories than less, because you're going to have to live with just a bit more that number to be able to maintain your weight loss.

I started at 1200 and stalled very quickly. Then I started eating back part of my exercise calories to net over 1200 and that made a big difference. I've gradually increased that net number as my body adapts, so that hopefully, it will easier to maintain.

There's not much risk in raising it 50-100 calories and see how your body reacts after a month or so, if that sounds like something you want to do! Good luck! :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Hey...Are your TOTAL calories 1600 or your NET calories 1600?

Just asking because I am now netting 1200 calories (eating back my exercise calories trying not to go over 1600 calories total) and the scale is not budging.

I have thrown it out but it didn't for the longest time :(

And I don't think NETTING less than 1200 calories is safe...Thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm eating 1600 on non exercise days, and about 1800 on exercise days to keep my NET above my BMR.

Whilst I understand the eating back calories methodology, I don't like it, and I prefer eating the same every day, off a deficit from TDEE.
  • jersygirl09
    Options
    I found that I was eating 12-1300 calories and could not loose. I do exercise at least 3x per week at the gym and have a huge garden so in the summer I'm out there continually. I had to increase the number of calories that I was eating to 1600 to loose and now that my garden season is about to begin again, I'm struggling to lose at 1600 so I'm gonna try 1700. You just have to experiment to see what works for you. If you are a physical person you may need to up them just to get the body our of starvation mode.