Burned 1644 calories with new Polar FT4

Options

Replies

• BlueBaron37
    BlueBaron37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited, my polar hr montior the ft4f should be here tomorrow, on my birfday!

I am going swimming too if it comes In the morning, the whole reason I bought it was to track hr in the pool.

Can you use them in water ?
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wore my Polar FT7 for the first time today. The calories I burned we're much less than MFP especially for swimming. However I wore it for gardening today and it gave me over 600 calories..yeah!
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I want one soooo much!!!!
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You have to be very careful with those calorie estimates though. 1600 calories in 1:45. That would be an INTENSE workout. Runningworld.com determined you burn 0.63 x your weight calories per mile. For a 200 pound person to burn 1600 calories in 1:45 you would have to run 12.7 miles (a 200 pound person would burn ~125 calories a mile). To run 12.7 miles in 1:45 you would have to run a an 8:16 min mile pace for an 1:45. (the equivalent of about a 26 minute 5k pace for 1:45). Obviously.. if you are lighter than 200 pounds... you would have to run even faster than that 8:16 pace. You can get more info here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • BlueBaron37
    Options
    You have to be very careful with those calorie estimates though. 1600 calories in 1:45. That would be an INTENSE workout. Runningworld.com determined you burn 0.63 x your weight calories per mile. For a 200 pound person to burn 1600 calories in 1:45 you would have to run 12.7 miles (a 200 pound person would burn ~125 calories a mile). To run 12.7 miles in 1:45 you would have to run a an 8:16 min mile pace for an 1:45. (the equivalent of about a 26 minute 5k pace for 1:45). Obviously.. if you are lighter than 200 pounds... you would have to run even faster than that 8:16 pace. You can get more info here:

Actually the HRM was less than the tread mill estimate, the tread mill monitors HR and you enter details and weight.

I think it's more to do with being not that fit but also being an athlete when I was young.

My heart rate max for my age 45 should be 175 but I peaked at 195 and spent suite some time at 180 bpm, if I was fitter I could do the same exercise with 180 peak and 165 being the rate for a long period.

I was exhausted believe me.

But the over week I done cardio and weights and cardio weights. Left gym went home ordered a 2000+ calorie pizza and still lost a pound in weight the next morning.

I have only ever really trained intense, always pushing myself 90% of the time.

I want to lose weight for health reasons and I'd also like to enter The Spartian run the hardest 5k race in the world so they say.
  • wendymaci
    wendymaci Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your calories seem a bit high. I use my polar all the time and I do 2 cardio classes in a row and usually only burn 1100-1200. 1 hour spin and 1 hour body attack (high intensity cardio) I go all out sweat dripping on the floor. My model has the chest strap and also a 'test' you need to do that basically calibrates it to your resting heart rate. Does yours have that and if so did you do the test?
  • BlueBaron37
    Options
    Your calories seem a bit high. I use my polar all the time and I do 2 cardio classes in a row and usually only burn 1100-1200. 1 hour spin and 1 hour body attack (high intensity cardio) I go all out sweat dripping on the floor. My model has the chest strap and also a 'test' you need to do that basically calibrates it to your resting heart rate. Does yours have that and if so did you do the test?

I have an FT4, I just got it and don't know much about it really, I put my heaight weight age in the settings.

Would it help if I wrote my training data here ?
  • schwim
    schwim Posts: 65
    Options
    my ft7 got delivered yesterday (i bought it of amazon uk) and used it for the first time this morning. i ran for an hour on the treadmill and it registered 823 calories burned. its pretty clore to mfp 765 calories burned. the polar ft7 keeps a log of 99 workouts so i'll see if my hour run is consistent at 823 calories burned.
  • BlueBaron37
    Options
    If people are burning nearly 200 calories walking at 3.5 mph for 40 mins why can't I burn 700 running ?
  • BlueBaron37
    Options
    The major factor is effort, just using the treadmill calorie counter I have used between 30 mins 450 - 600 calories depending on the amount of effort I put in.
  • jailee813
    jailee813 Posts: 29
    Options
    If people are burning nearly 200 calories walking at 3.5 mph for 40 mins why can't I burn 700 running ?

Someone who weighs 160 lbs may burn 584 calories in an hour when jogging 5 mph, while a person weighing 240 lbs could burn 872 in the same amount of time. Walking at 3.5 mph might burn 277 calories per hour if you weigh 160 lbs or 346 calories if you weigh 200 lbs. That's why....

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/525564-how-many-calories-does-one-hour-of-power-walking-jogging-burn/#ixzz1t8i5DIe4
  • BlueBaron37
    Options

Someone who weighs 160 lbs may burn 584 calories in an hour when jogging 5 mph, while a person weighing 240 lbs could burn 872 in the same amount of time. Walking at 3.5 mph might burn 277 calories per hour if you weigh 160 lbs or 346 calories if you weigh 200 lbs. That's why....

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/525564-how-many-calories-does-one-hour-of-power-walking-jogging-burn/#ixzz1t8i5DIe4

That should say 30 mins instead of 40 I got 40 from reading someone's post.

Yes I here that, I am only 5'6 1/2 and I'm classed as oh obese at 198 lbs.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options

I did the calculations and they are right on with my heart monitor.In other words, the total calorie burn is almost identical to my hrm. I love the calculation for the net calorie burn.

Thanks for this!
  • jbad
    jbad Posts: 5
    Options
    try changing the battery in the strap.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    I own one too! love it! enjoy.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I hit my first 1,000 calorie burn in the gym the other day. Felt great! ^_^
  • rikkeeroos
    Options
    lol this makes me angry. Bought a Polar HRM (not sure which model right now) and all of a sudden it is registering my starting heart rate in the 30s and only gets up to the 70s at the most intense part of my workout.. So bummed and jealous of your calories burned! Awesome job.

Are you sure that it is not registering the percentage of your max heart rate? There should be a button to change from the percentage to BPM. I had the same problem with mine, and I was getting freaked out until I read the manual. Hope this helps.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your FT4 - love, love, love mine! It's amazing and so much fun to watch your heart rate and calories burned!!!! On weekends that I'm doing more than basic housework and mom stuff, I will wear it all day just to see what activities burn the most. The FT4 is really all I need. My only suggestion is to buy an extra strap so you can wash it more frequently. I follow the instructions for every 5 uses & rinse every time I wear it (everyday), but sometimes that feels gross to me... lol. Oh and like someone else said, I keep mine on heart rate, too, for fear of watching my cals burned will affect my workout! Watching you heart rate MAKES YOU want to do more! Good luck and enjoy!!
  • katetaylor999
    katetaylor999 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

My heart rate max for my age 45 should be 175 but I peaked at 195 and spent suite some time at 180 bpm, if I was fitter I could do the same exercise with 180 peak and 165 being the rate for a long period.

Soooo glad you put that! I got my Polar FT7 on Monday and have had average heart rates of 177 and 172, with max's of 195 and 187. According to whatever calculation it is, that's above my max for my age! Was a bit worried I might keel over sometime soon lol
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Actually the HRM was less than the tread mill estimate, the tread mill monitors HR and you enter details and weight.

I think it's more to do with being not that fit but also being an athlete when I was young.

I was exhausted believe me.

But the over week I done cardio and weights and cardio weights. Left gym went home ordered a 2000+ calorie pizza and still lost a pound in weight the next morning.

I have only ever really trained intense, always pushing myself 90% of the time.

I want to lose weight for health reasons and I'd also like to enter The Spartian run the hardest 5k race in the world so they say.

You cant really draw conclusions about eating a pizza and losing a pound the next day. I do a lot of intense cycling. If i sweat hard.. it sometimes takes a day or two for my body to normalize the hydration levels. The big thing you have to be careful with is double counting calories. MFP already counts your basal metabolic calories. Nearly all the treadmill estimates and HRM estimates include your basal metabolic calories as part of their calorie burns. Since MFP already counts those calories, it will cause the calories to over count. Also.... many HRMs are notoriously inaccurate. As an example... I have a garmin gps/hrm bike computer that is infamous among the bike community for over counting calories by as much as double. One of the reasons for this is that more accurate methods of calculating calorie burns based on heart rates are patented by companies. Garmin cant use the more accurate equations without running in to legal problems, so they purposefully used a far worse method to avoid the problem.... I agree that as you get more fit.. obviously the numbers change. I've just personally found with my year and a half of being on MFP and measuring all my foods on a scale... ive managed to determine that MFP calorie estimates tend to be over the real calorie count by about 40-50%.

Perfect example.... I went biking for an hour and 10 minutes at over 20 miles per hour. MFP estimates it at 1600 calories (185 pound man). Thats just insane....

Then there is a more accurate calorie counter that serious bicyclists use at http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm . This one estimates my bike ride at about 854 when i enter in all of the values.

854 vs 1600 calories.... My love of pizza wants to believe the 1600 number but years of experience shows me that the 854 number is more realistic.