A question for runners:).

Options
I am currently training for my first half on 6/2. I have recently noticed discomfort in my hip area and/or lower back over the hip. I am not usre what is causing it. Of course I have upped my milage and bought new shoes recently. I ahve no idea which to attribute my recent "discomfort to".

I was previously wearing the Saucony Progrid Guide 4. I replaced it with the Progrid Guide 5... so the only difference is I bought a model newer. I can tell a difference in the models but would it be enough to potentially cause these issues?

Could it be a stretching issues or related to my increase in mileage? I have only been increasing my long run .5-1 mile a week and recently increased my 2 weekday runs from 3-3.5 up to 4.5... so overall my milage has only increased a couple miles per week. It is nothing more than I have done in the past.

Any suggestions on what to try/do???? The last thing I want to do is injure myself before the half.

Replies

• k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    have you had a massage lately? maybe your body is a little out of alignment for some reason? that's usually what I do to help drop one hip back down (and my shoulders do the same) My body shifts alot because of stupid stuff like my job at a desk, picking up my kids when they are too heavy to pick up, random day to day things that affect my posture outside of my running and exercise. I feel like I am more stable and run better when I know my body is back in alignment. :)
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    it's most likely related to stretching! try these stretches after you run....you should definitely feel the stretch!

stretch.jpg -- the only difference is I take my head to the floor for a better stretch....you can also turn your head to one side and put your arms out to the side on the floor for an even better stretch.

stretch2.jpg
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Though I am an amateur runner, I have also been experiencing the same type of hip pain and stretches like these have really helped me out. =) Best to you
  • ChadH1971
    Options
    It could be the change in shoes because the new shoes have not conformed to your usual wear pattern yet. If you pronate or supponate when you walk or run, your shoes will wear more on either the inside or the outside of the shoe. The body is dynamic too and I agree with the comment about alignment. Just a small change in the weight of the shoe though can cause that misalignment. Try the stretches and also try using a hip flexor machine if you have access to one. If you don't have access to a machine, you can try using a resistance band attached to your ankle on one end and anchored on the other end, moving your whole leg sideways while standing. Are you running the same track or course? That too can play into how muscles are responding and developing. Your gluteus muscles and your hamstrings are probably the most active during running and they are likely causing the tension on the hip flexors where your discomfort is coming from.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I change my route on a pretty regular basis. I run early morning so try not to use the same route too often for safety reasons.

I appreciate all the suggestions. Hopefully they will help:).