How do I stop doing this?! I need advice!

Options
I've just reached 30lbs of weight lost and I'm having trouble realizing what size I am... I keep grabbing clothing 1-2 sizes too big in stores, and can't wrap my head around the idea that my old clothes might fit again!

Today I went to grab a skirt, nervous and hoping all the way to my "smaller closet" that it would fit again... and it's too big! An NSV for sure, but I'm frustrated that I pretty much skipped over an entire set of my clothing. (My weight has been up & down a lot my whole life, especially before having my thyroid removed, so I have entire sets of different sized clothing.)

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I snap out of it?!?

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've just reached 30lbs of weight lost and I'm having trouble realizing what size I am... I keep grabbing clothing 1-2 sizes too big in stores, and can't wrap my head around the idea that my old clothes might fit again!

Today I went to grab a skirt, nervous and hoping all the way to my "smaller closet" that it would fit again... and it's too big! An NSV for sure, but I'm frustrated that I pretty much skipped over an entire set of my clothing. (My weight has been up & down a lot my whole life, especially before having my thyroid removed, so I have entire sets of different sized clothing.)

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I snap out of it?!?

Go through your wardrobe tonight - take out anything that is too big and put it away. Try on all your lovely smaller clothes, look at yourself in the mirror.

Yes, that slimmer person in the Mirror is you - Smile!!!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    haha i think part of the problem is parting with bigger clothes - that's a good idea! if my closet is scarcer i'll have to go looking for clothes that fit :-)
    i just hate the feeling of putting on something that is still too small!!
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I think sometimes it takes time to reconcile the overweight person you've been previously to the slim one you are now.

Maybe take a day window shopping, you don't even have to buy anything if money's an issue. But go out, try a whole bunch of clothes on, figure out what size you are now in shops and what looks good on you now. After a while you'll be grabbing those smaller clothes off the rails without even thinking about it :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    At times it's kinda hard to see myself smaller even tho I've lost 44lbs & have gone down 4-5 sizes. I have been getting rid of all my bigger clothes because I have no intention of returning to them. I had a garage sale and still have quite of bit left to sell. I have 14, 12, L & XL sizes.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, too. I skipped a whole geological era in my closet because I didn't want to try something on, hoping it would fit, and then find it was still too tight. Now I'm low on clothes that fit, and i don't want to start over on my wardrobe. I miss some of my bigger clothes! Not that I want to gain weight in order to wear them!
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What a nice feeling, I have a bin of clothes I go through, something might not fit but I simply remind myself that someday in the near future it will fit & sometimes it's fun to try on clothes that were & still are to small just to see them starting to fit better and better :)
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    haha i think part of the problem is parting with bigger clothes - that's a good idea! if my closet is scarcer i'll have to go looking for clothes that fit :-)

But you should love the feeling of not being able to wear something that is just too big :) You shouldn't be upset over this. Even if you can't fit into your tiny tiny clothes anymore you should at least be glad that you're moving down in size.
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a day window shopping, you don't even have to buy anything if money's an issue. But go out, try a whole bunch of clothes on, figure out what size you are now in shops and what looks good on you now. After a while you'll be grabbing those smaller clothes off the rails without even thinking about it :)

You've just made my day. I've been struggling with the same issue as the OP, constantly doubting my new smaller size, and I have very few clothes now. (Very little money too!)

I never thought of simply trying things on! :laugh: I've been having trouble finding things which suit my new shape, and have been so scared of things looking bad that I've been living out of the few smaller clothes I have for months!

Terrific idea - OP, how about you and I both go on a 'non-shopping' trip?
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Stop looking at the numbers on the clothes. :) Try things on in your closet and sort them by 3 categories - too big, fits, too small. Get rid of the too big pile ASAP! ;) Put the fits pile in the main part of your closet where you can access them easily. Determine if the too small pile is a realistic end goal and if you should hang on to them or if you might need to get rid of some of those clothes, too, so that you don't psych yourself out into thinking you will never fit into them.

I heard on a TV show once that we (women) should cut the tag out of a piece of clothing if we don't like the number on the tag but the piece fits well and we are healthy/fit. I like this idea - mostly b/c I tend to fluctuate between an 8-10-12 depending on brand and cut when I'm at my GW. It can be maddening to play the numbers game with clothing.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! When I reached my goal weight I also struggled with this problem. It took me a few months of wearing still too big clothes to realize that I needed smaller clothes! Sounds weird but I think your mind just catches up a little slower to your body :tongue:
    I agree that you should clean out your closet and rid yourself of all those big clothes that don't fit anymore! It feels GREAT to do so lemme tell ya. The only thing I kept was the biggest pair of jeans I ever wore to remind myself of where I never want to go back to. :flowerforyou:
  • PSTreasure
    Options
    Great job! Try getting rid of all of the clothes that are too big. Do not give your self anything to grow back into! I went through the same thing years ago and it took a while before I could really see myself the way that I truly looked. Your mind will begin to believe it, you just have to work at giving yourself positive feedback. I think we get so used to not really looking at ourselves and then when we do start to look, we are afraid to believe what we really see. If any of your clothes are able to be altered, that is a way to get yourself into the right fit, without getting a whole new wardrobe. Good luck with your continued journey and just keep telling yourself, "You look great!"
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Put away anything that doesn't fit, period! That takes away your frustration when figuring out what to wear. When you need a new size, pull out the stash and remove/add the proper size again.

And, go buy yourself something new. You deserve it!
  • elysianashes
    Options
    If you're frustrated that you still have clothes that are too big for you and you won't be able to wear them again, think about taking them somewhere to get them altered. It's much cheaper than replacing them and you'll still get to enjoy them.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Even if it's too small... use it to "measure" yourself later. That's what I do when I finally go through some of my clothes. I keep a box in the spare room. When I try something on and it's too big, I fold it up and put it in the box. When the box is full, I take it to goodwill. once in a while I will try something on out of curiosity... will it fit? Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and sometimes I have to put it away for next month.

I have a bunch of clothes I should go through but I just kind of do it one article at a time. I pull something out to wear out to dinner and realize either it doesn't fit or it's fits but I hate it now. I'm just making myself make a decision at that point and put it in the box. It might be a slow process but eventually I will get through it. :) But I do shop in my closet first before I go shopping for something new. I have forgotten some of the things I use to own.
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I somewhat made the mistake of cleaning out my closet about 2 months ago before I decided to lose my weight once and for all. I got rid of all the clothes that no longer fit me, the ones that were too small. Now all of my pants are far too big, but I don't want to buy all new pants because I am not even half way to my goal weight yet (however the alternative is swimming in my clothes).

I completely get not wanting to try on old clothes in fear they may not fit, I find that very frustrating. Perhaps eye the clothes up a little and make sure you're going to fit into it before you put it on?
  • kacbldmm07
    Options
    I still do this. I cant wrap my head around that the size 6 at the store will fit. It seems unreal, or maybe even I am afraid it wont and I will get upset. So now I force myself to take the 6, a 4 and an 8. This way one of them will fit, and I wont be upset that its not the biggest!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Get rid off the "to big for me" clothes and go to Goodwill (or other consignment shop) and do some transitional shopping.
    Shirts/blouses and jean/pants/skirts $5, suits/dresses maybe $10-15...go every 7-10 days. Great way to get a new wardrobe with out breaking the bank...just gotta be willing to spend a couple of hours going through the stuff. I've gotten really great deals there!
  • jennylee133
    jennylee133 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being down sizes! In addition to window shopping there are great consignment shops around where you can not only find great pieces at a lower cost but you can also try to purge some of those bigger sizes as well! I have also found over the years that when I was unhappy with myself I would buy so much more because I was always searching for something (anything) that I felt ok in, but as you go down in size look for pieces that you absolutely love... part of the fun of that window shopping! I never mind buying less when everything I reach for in my closet is something I feel fabulous in.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've put most my other sizes in boxes with the size on them and I store them. i always keep the next smaller size on a shelf in my closet and every once in a while i try something on. It is fun if it fits or I can see that another inch and i'll make it.
    Then I will have new/ old clothes. :)
    Also you can get some good buys at some of the second hand shops. I have shopped them for many years off and on. it might be fun to go look and they are very reasonable if money is tight and you still have a ways to go. just an idea.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

But you should love the feeling of not being able to wear something that is just too big :) You shouldn't be upset over this. Even if you can't fit into your tiny tiny clothes anymore you should at least be glad that you're moving down in size.

This!
    If there's a problem to have, this one is the problem I would love haha. Maybe every time you put something on and it is too small, put it in a bag to sell/donate/give away. That way you know what doesn't work, and then each time you get rid of a bag you go shopping for more clothes that are your size. Maybe make sure to take a friend who can make sure that the clothes you pick out do fit you right - if you're not used to shopping for your new size, it may take an adjustment...but that's a wonderful adjustment!

And BTW, I had my thyroid removed too! Almost 11 years ago....probably the best thing I ever did. I don't run into too many other people who have done it.