SQUAT help!!!

Options
I am doing the NROLFW. I am in Stage one, and recently decided to start over (I missed all of last week due to a kidney stone). So, I started from the very begininng last night. I am concerned about my squats for a few reasons. The first being, I hear everyone else talking about how sore they are the next day, and I'm not. I figured I probably was not doing the exercise right. Someone had suggested that I do them without the weights - as the weights may be hindering me from using the proper form. So I forgot the weights last night. EVEN with NO weight, I still cannot get into the parallel to the floor position he says. Now, I know he says that there is no such thing as perfect form, and I paid very close attention to everything he suggested - especially the natural arch in my back... I am NO WHERE close to being parallel. Also - I have not been using the squat rack because they don't have one in the womens area of my gym - only out by those big scary body builders that give me dirty looks when I walk to "their" side of the gym. I have been using the free barbells in the womens area. This wouldn't make a difference, would it?

Please help. I really want to make sure I am making the absolute MOST out of each and every workout.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    How far are your legs apart? Are your toes pointed out? Do you push your knees in line with your toes? (But not past them)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I would say screw the boys and use the squat rack. Who cares what kind of looks they give you. i started out using the free barbells as well and moved up to the squat rack. If you can not get into parallel position then just get as low as you can and work up to the parallel. This is a strength issue. You may just need to work up to it.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    Ive learned squats from my trainer.

1. Make sure your legs are even with your shoulders.

2. When squating be sure that you are not holding your breath.

3. (This is my personal preference) Start out putting your hands on your hips and keeping your back as straight as possible.

4. Make sure to use your abs as well this helps with form and balance.

5. Squat down slowly until your legs are at a perfect 90 degree angle.

6. Take your time do not go fast you want to make sure that you are in good form and your triggering your muscles.

**EXTRA NOTE** to help you determine that you are going down far enough try doing it in front of a mirror.
    You can also get something like a weight bench and do your squats just enough where your butt hits the bench (DO NOT SIT ON IT) lol its just a marker. Once you get your form down add the weights. Oh and also make sure you put your body weight evenly throughout your feet (i.e.: dont have all your weight on your heels or the balls of your feet).

Hope this helps. :)
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Tip 1: Stick your boobies out as you push your hips back (it'll give you the arched back you're looking for)
    Tip 2: Use a box
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Okay, so feet shoulder-width apart, toes forward, boobies out, back straight, get as low as you can.... BUT....

Use the box? Really? In the book - they use the Box Squats as a harder variation....

And should I be using the weights or not?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Okay, so feet shoulder-width apart, toes forward, boobies out, back straight, get as low as you can.... BUT....

Use the box? Really? In the book - they use the Box Squats as a harder variation....

You start out with 15 reps. How hard are reps 13, 14, and 15? Are you barely getting them done (probably at the right weight) or can you do 5 more (add some more)? Get a weight bench or a chair and squat till your butt hits it and make sure your knees don't extend past the invisible line with your toes. If you're doing all that, you're probably good. If you're still worried, get a gym staff member to come watch you for 10 minutes.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

You start out with 15 reps. How hard are reps 13, 14, and 15? Are you barely getting them done (probably at the right weight) or can you do 5 more (add some more)? Get a weight bench or a chair and squat till your butt hits it and make sure your knees don't extend past the invisible line with your toes. If you're doing all that, you're probably good. If you're still worried, get a gym staff member to come watch you for 10 minutes.

Yes, try bench or chair. Don't be afraid of the "man section", try the squat rack. More than likely you will feel like a bad *kitten* :bigsmile:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube and watch "So You Think You Can Squat" a couple times and then come back here and talk about what you see as needed improvement with your form.
  • rchupka87
    Options
    Okay - so after my run last night I decided to try to work on my form. I am all KINDS of crazy lookin. My feet were WAY too wide, I bend at the waist entirely too much. My heels come off the ground instead of my toes. I need a lot of work. I still cant get my legs parallel, but I am a hell of a lot closer than I was at the gym on Tuesday. I still need to fine-tune a bit (okay, a lot), but I have to wait until I get to the gym tonight, so I can try it out with the barbell. I was wondering if maybe I should start with the Smith Machine, so the bar will be a bit more stable while I work on my form... thoughts?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How is it you're seeing your depth btw? Have you been recording your squats? If not, that may be a good idea. Also, go use the squat rack. You'll be glad you did.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Okay - so after my run last night I decided to try to work on my form. I am all KINDS of crazy lookin. My feet were WAY too wide, I bend at the waist entirely too much. My heels come off the ground instead of my toes. I need a lot of work. I still cant get my legs parallel, but I am a hell of a lot closer than I was at the gym on Tuesday. I still need to fine-tune a bit (okay, a lot), but I have to wait until I get to the gym tonight, so I can try it out with the barbell. I was wondering if maybe I should start with the Smith Machine, so the bar will be a bit more stable while I work on my form... thoughts?

No part of your foot should come off the ground during a squat. Also, I would just chase parallel and not make it the qualifier of whether or not you use a barbell. If the 45lb. oly bar is too much weight for you to start with, you could see if your gym has the lighter women's oly bars.

Never use a smith machine. It doesn't do any justice to imitating the real movement.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ever done squats (deep squats or jumping squats) on a TRX??? Nothing has ever changed my legs as fast!!!! Look it up on you tube! Good luck!
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    forget about parallel to the floor ,to really work u got to go lower ,as low as u can.
    as for the big boys , they love a lady near them ,why else are we putting on muscle.
    also dont be afraid to ask one of them for advice 99% of us would be glad to show u.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    forget about parallel to the floor ,to really work u got to go lower ,as low as u can.
    as for the big boys , they love a lady near them ,why else are we putting on muscle.
    also dont be afraid to ask one of them for advice 99% of us would be glad to show u.

That depends on whether NROL is recommending high-bar or low-bar squats. Low-bar squats are done at parallel (thigh crease below top of kneecap) or just below. High-bar and Front Squats are often done ATG (a** to grass).
  • rchupka87
    Options
    NROLFW doesn't distinguish between the two- high bar or low bar. Never mentions ATG (lol), just says close to parallel as possible, so between your two discriptions, I am guessing low. I am realizing the more I get into this that I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing. :noway:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    NROLFW doesn't distinguish between the two- high bar or low bar. Never mentions ATG (lol), just says close to parallel as possible, so between your two discriptions, I am guessing low. I am realizing the more I get into this that I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing. :noway:

Don't get bogged down too much in all the details. I'm just one of the fanatical newbies who likes to read everything. But if it tells you to place the bar on your rear deltoids (i.e. make a shelf for the bar by squeezing your shoulder blades together) that's low-bar. High-bar is placed on the traps; though I'll be honest I never do high-bar because it hurt my neck when I've tried it.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Don't get bogged down too much in all the details. I'm just one of the fanatical newbies who likes to read everything. But if it tells you to place the bar on your rear deltoids (i.e. make a shelf for the bar by squeezing your shoulder blades together) that's low-bar. High-bar is placed on the traps; though I'll be honest I never do high-bar because it hurt my neck when I've tried it.

"make a shelf for the bar by squeezing your shoulder blades together"

i do this when doing the high-bar. doesnt hurt the neck since its resting on the muscle
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

i do this when doing the high-bar. doesnt hurt the neck since its resting on the muscle

Maybe I'm missing something with high-bar then. But during high-bar I wouldn't thing it would actually be sitting on the shelf; it would be sitting on the upper traps would it not?
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm missing something with high-bar then. But during high-bar I wouldn't thing it would actually be sitting on the shelf; it would be sitting on the upper traps would it not?

yup, rests on the upper trap muscles. but by squeezing the shoulder blades together, it does create a "shelf" for the bar to rest on. basically my grip is as close together as i can get on the bar.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

You really need to watch the video I posted. It's one of the absolute best videos I've ever seen on squatting. I promise it will help you.