Strength Training

Options
2»

Replies

• Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-1.html

Check out this 4 part series, on beginning weight training by Lyle MacDonald, one of the forerunners of nutrition and training. His Philosophies have changed my life. highly reccommend reading his stuff, above anyone else. Honest and readable approach.

I have started training again myself, and i am going back to the basics!

Good Luck, and hope this helps

Excellent series, thanks for sharing! :)
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just gonna say, if working out was about being comfy, everyone would be ripped.
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Not ignoring it. Think it's more suited to me later down the line - you seemed very definitive in your answer re: weight machines but I've read articles arguing that they more than have their place in strength training.

But what's the point in being comfy and not pushing yourself? If you're going to work out, work out.
    As for articles, I could find articles discussing the benefits of eating less than 1200 calories a day, doesn't mean it makes sense.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DRees10
    DRees10 Posts: 16
    Options

Not ignoring it. Think it's more suited to me later down the line - you seemed very definitive in your answer re: weight machines but I've read articles arguing that they more than have their place in strength training.

But what's the point in being comfy and not pushing yourself? If you're going to work out, work out.
    As for articles, I could find articles discussing the benefits of eating less than 1200 calories a day, doesn't mean it makes sense.

I get why you're saying but I don't find what I'm doing comfortable. Words twisted there a bit. I will progress into free weights when ready, when my goals call for it. I've done 3 strength sessions and I'm just looking to implement a bit of strength training into my routine, my goal is weight loss, not focusing on doing weights.
  • criscricket
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I get why you're saying but I don't find what I'm doing comfortable. Words twisted there a bit. I will progress into free weights when ready, when my goals call for it. I've done 3 strength sessions and I'm just looking to implement a bit of strength training into my routine, my goal is weight loss, not focusing on doing weights.

Just to interject a bit. Are you looking for weight loss, or fat loss?

For fat loss you will get the most benefit from a modest caloric deficit and heavy weight training utilizing compound movements. the deficit can be from diet alone or a combination of diet and cardio. There is even a program called "starting Strength" which is a beginners program that stresses these types of exercises with free weights. You should Google the program and see what they have to say.

You can do what you want but I am just suggesting this as it works and is tested and means you don't have to re-invent the wheel to get the results you are looking for. The program was put together by a pro that is highly respected, and the routine is quite similar to stronglifts 5x5, which you can start with instead.
  • ipeloquin400
    ipeloquin400 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump