Best Protein Powder?

Options
Okay, so I am planning on hitting the health food store tomorrow to check out some protein powder to drink because I am having trouble getting enough protein in my diet without going over my calories.

I would prefer to try a plant-based protein but I had read that consuming too much soy is toxic.

I want to find a protein powder than I can mix with milk/water and drink. I don't want to buy cans/bottles of product because I don't want to create needless trash.

Is there a brand/type you would reccomend? I am new to this protein powder idea and need some good advice.

Thank you in advance for any help, I appreciate it. :)

Replies

• gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I like myoplex, its a good brand and it taste good, im drinking the strawberry cream...
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I love the Optiumum Nutrition products :-)
    My favorite one is the "Fruit Punch" I'd OD on it
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've used allot of Protein powders over the past 25 years and the best I've ever had is Metagenics Bio Pure. You can get it on Amazon as it's not available at many places. It's an extremely clean protein from organic sheep and it is not treated with heat or chemicals so it maintains all the great health benfeits. Also there are no added sugar or chemicals. Doesn't taste like anything as it's not sweetened in anyway but I drink it with water and it mixes easily and tastes bland/fine.
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Intek Evolution Protein Powder...
    Do label research. You will love this stuff.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I use Bodytech Pro 24 for my AM drink....and Optimum Nutrition for my post work out drink..I always look for Protein Drinks with the lowest amount of calorie/protein ratio...I deally if you can get under 100 calories and have 20+ grams of protein you are doing good...For women I suggest Designer Proten products because it has the less additives and the arginine and other byproducts design for men. I have a son who doesn't eat a lot..and even his pediatrition recommended Designer Protein because of how safe it is for kids and women.
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi!!!!
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I love the Optiumum Nutrition products :-)
    My favorite one is the "Fruit Punch" I'd OD on it

I second this, Optimum Nutritions stuff is on point
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life Raw Protein is organic, raw, and vegan. Looks like it is not soy-based either.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Arbonne's Vegan Protein Powder -- by far the best! Protein comes from brown rice, yellow pea and cranberries. There are a lot of products already logged into the system if you do a search. I'm really sensitive to products after over 30 years of chemical exposure through photoprocessing/graphic arts. My body just doesn't do well on a lot of stuff on the market. Two shakes a day work fabulous for me -- I like to mix and match several healthy choices in with my shakes -- little almond butter, organic baby spinach, frozen organic strawberries or blueberries, a tbs of ground flax, organic almond milk -- it creates a meal, leaves me feeling full and satisfied and tastes good (a lot of protein powders contain whey and/or soy which do not work with my body). LOVE Arbonne's Chocolate and Vanilla Protein Powders!!!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Shakeology !!! Google it. I'm on my second week and I love LOVE it!
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    Tastes GREAT~
  • tamspat
    tamspat Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • AeriDaSweetheart
    AeriDaSweetheart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i like smoothie king gladiator
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Trutein by TruNutrition Sciences. Their Cinnabun flavor is amazing!
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like NOW foods Tru-Food vegan. There's no soy, it also has probiotics, a vitamin and mineral complex, and other good stuff, and it's relatively cheap for what you get out of it. It's supposed to be a Vega knock-off, so the nutrition is near identical to Vega's old whole food health optimizer. The berry flavor is great, I mix it with 100% juice and skim milk, or silk fruit and protein (but you said you want to avoid soy, so it's good with straight up juice.)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

3 posts......troll!
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Allmax Isoflex. 110 calories with 27g of protein. I drink it with water, it's tastes ok, nothing special (most protein drinks are like that).

There are hundreds of varieties. Generally you get what you pay for. Unless buying on sale or in Bulk, if the price looks too good to be true it's generally because the product isn't good.

Each protein powder is different. It has a different mix. Buy good quality and buy a protein powder that will supplement/add to you diet.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Body by Vi!!!!

Soy based products can be very bad for women plus there is artificial sweeteners and so many other really bad things for you. I would do my research before even thinking about drinking this. http://www.davidmodderman.com/blog/index.php/weight-loss/body-by-vi-is-it-all-hype/
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Allmax Isoflex. 110 calories with 27g of protein. I drink it with water, it's tastes ok, nothing special (most protein drinks are like that).

There are hundreds of varieties. Generally you get what you pay for. Unless buying on sale or in Bulk, if the price looks too good to be true it's generally because the product isn't good.

Each protein powder is different. It has a different mix. Buy good quality and buy a protein powder that will supplement/add to you diet.

I agree with the above poster. I just "got" that I need to add protein powder to my regimen to get the level I need. After research on taste and mouth feel (I wanted to be sure all the powder dissolved well) I settled on Whole Food 365 Whey Protein Vanilla Powder. I blend it with waters/ice, berries, banana, vanilla extract. Alone it has 80 cals, 16g protein, 2g carb.

Good luck in finding a product you like. Welcome to the converted!
  • tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for plant based there are a lot of options. I've used Vega One before and it's good. Our local natural food store has quite a few different plant based powders - hemp, pea protein, etc, and they have samples of a lot of it. Check out your local healthfood/whole food/natural food store.

Personally I use an isolate plain whey powder that has no fillers/sweeteners and just flavour it as I need to. I like that I can add it to my oatmeal and baking without any flavour. If I want a chocolate shake I just add cocoa, almond milk, and a frozen banana. If I want vanilla I add vanilla extract.