5"7 and stuck at a certain weight!

Options
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what weight all you 5"7 girls get to before you get 'stuck' at a particular weight??

I've went from 172lbs to 143lbs and although im not stuck yet, its coming off really slow now!! 10lbs away from goal weight!

Is anyone else stuck/plataued at a similar weight??

xx

Replies

• sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am stuck at 144-145! I have been there for a month and a half almost! This week I have tried upping my calories from 1280-1350 to 1500-1600ish based on some of the posts that have been going on around here. I haven't gained weight so that is a plus! I am less cranky because I am eating a little more, but we shall see if the weight will come off. My goal is 135-139, but really I just want to lose the layer of fat around the midsection and arms :0)
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and started with MFP at 174 - I'm stuck at 157 since January. I'm hopeful to pass this plateau and get down below 140 - would be fantastic if I got there by summer but I'll be happy to just get any closer to 140. June 22nd is my goal-line, that's the next time I'll be wearing a suit on the beach =-O
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Please forget what the scale says. Your focus should be on Body Mass Index. This is a percentage of fat in you body. The Centers for Disease Control states the number is based on a ratio of your weight compared to your height.

You can calculate your BMI by taking your weight in pounds and multiplying it by 705. Then take this number and divide it by your height, in inches. Divide the number by your height again, and you will receive a number that is less than 50. This is your BMI.

If your BMI number falls within 18.5 to 24.9, then you are in the healthy range. If your BMI number is higher than 25, then you are over the healthy weight. If your BMI number is below 18.5, then you are underweight. In both situations, you could consider dietary changes to bring your weight within the normal range.

For me, I am 6' tall and weigh 168, so my BMI is calculated at 168 x 705 / 72 / 72 = 22.85; almost in the middle of the range. That means 23% of my weight is fat or 168 x 23% = 39 pounds of fat.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Haha, BMI.

I never got stuck. My goal weight was 142 and I got there easily.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    To be honest, with your height, you're probably "stuck" at that weight because it would be unhealthy to be much smaller. I wouldn't focus on the number. If you are still unhappy with your body work on changing body comp (losing fat and gaining muscle), not on losing "weight."

oh and to the above poster BMI doesn't measure body fat. When I was a college athlete I had a BMI that was in the "overweight" category, only because I had an extreme amount of muscle mass and very little fat. BMI is not the greatest indicator of body fat and health.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that height was a factor in losing weight. Interesting!
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Haha, BMI.

SMH
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm "stuck" at 140. No matter what, my body seems to come back to this weight and I'm totally fine with it because I'm very healthy, muscular, and I am not going to fight my body over numbers that really mean absolutely nothing.
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and haven't been able to get under 140. I did drop down to 138 at one point, but now I'm up around 145.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and haven't been able to get under 140. I did drop down to 138 at one point, but now I'm up around 145.

It's very possible and likely that there isn't anything wrong with that. 145 is a good weight for 5'7".

There comes a point when you are in a healthy weight range that you no longer need to "lose weight" but you might want to lose fat/gain muscle to change your body composition. That sounds like the case for the OP, too. At this point, the scale is no longer a good or accurate form of measurement - In fact it is more deceptive than anything
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Haha, BMI.

SMH
    I answered the question that was asked. How about you mind your own business?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Please forget what the scale says. Your focus should be on Body Mass Index. This is a percentage of fat in you body. The Centers for Disease Control states the number is based on a ratio of your weight compared to your height.

You can calculate your BMI by taking your weight in pounds and multiplying it by 705. Then take this number and divide it by your height, in inches. Divide the number by your height again, and you will receive a number that is less than 50. This is your BMI.

If your BMI number falls within 18.5 to 24.9, then you are in the healthy range. If your BMI number is higher than 25, then you are over the healthy weight. If your BMI number is below 18.5, then you are underweight. In both situations, you could consider dietary changes to bring your weight within the normal range.

For me, I am 6' tall and weigh 168, so my BMI is calculated at 168 x 705 / 72 / 72 = 22.85; almost in the middle of the range. That means 23% of my weight is fat or 168 x 23% = 39 pounds of fat.

BMI does not tell you body fat percentage.
  • BostonBee
    BostonBee Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5, and I've been hovering around 139-142 for a long time. I've given up on trying to lose weight and am now focusing on losing body fat. I'm following the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I don't think the number on the scale matters as much as how your body looks, and I want to lose inches, which strength training will help with.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am stuck at 144-145! I have been there for a month and a half almost! This week I have tried upping my calories from 1280-1350 to 1500-1600ish based on some of the posts that have been going on around here. I haven't gained weight so that is a plus! I am less cranky because I am eating a little more, but we shall see if the weight will come off. My goal is 135-139, but really I just want to lose the layer of fat around the midsection and arms :0)

If you are upping, don't do it randomly..
    figure out the correct numbers you should be at.. It works..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • hauntgoddess
    hauntgoddess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and my goal weight is set pretty low at 125 lbs, but it keeps me motivated...I would happy to be under 150 lbs since I have never been that thin =) I thnk 140ish would be good.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Ideal body weight for 5'7" is 123-163. 123 being the low end of the small fram and 163 being the high end of large frame. So 140's for the average framed 5'7" woman is ideal. That is most likely why you are stuck.

If you don't like the way your body looks, you probably need to tone up, not lose more weight.

I'm 5'7" and my ultimate goal weight is 160 because I have a large frame and have always been over weight so I know it's not realistic to expect to be in the low-mid range.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You and I are very close in height and weight. I'm 5'6", currently at 141 (started at 162). The closer you are to your ideal weight, the harder it will be to come off. I have been in a stall for 3 months now. I'm not discouraged at all, because I am stronger and healthier than ever. My goal weight was 135, but I've come to the realisation that 141 just might be it for me :-)

I have stopped obsessing with the numbers, continue to log my food, upped my calories, and am stepping up my exercise regimen. Interestingly enough, I stepped on the scale this morning and am 1lb lighter. I won't weight myself again for 2 weeks, but I do think sometimes you have to life the restrictions a bit to "restart" your body's metabolism.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Yes! the 160's doesn't want to let me go! lol.
    The way Im built, this weight actually looks good on me. I appear long and lean. However, I still see areas others dont since I have my clothes on all day, lol. Im really hoping to get into the 150's. Anywhere between 155-160 if I can get the scale to start moving again!
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi, maybe your weight has plateau'd because if doesn't want to lose anymore. You are a healthy weight anyway. If you are not happy with how you look it maybe down to toning your body rather than actually losing more weight
  • cpbarrett
    cpbarrett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm "stuck" at 140. No matter what, my body seems to come back to this weight and I'm totally fine with it because I'm very healthy, muscular, and I am not going to fight my body over numbers that really mean absolutely nothing.

Agreed!