Hate exercising with people watching:(

I hate working out at home with people around. My daughter doesn't bother me, she usually works out with me:) But we live with my parents and I can't work out with them around, I'm too embarrassed! Suggestions?

Replies

• nomorewishing
    nomorewishing Posts: 250 Member
    I don't have any suggestions, I'm curious to know what other people say though. I have the same problem. My family is the type that will make fun of me when I exercise and I don't take it too well so for the most part I just don't exercise. :(
  • hailie08
    hailie08 Posts: 87 Member
    Thats what my family is like too. I try to get my workout in during the day if I'm home and theyre at work, but thats not always possible and it rules out working out on weekends:(
  • I had a hard time working out when I lived with my parents, not because I got comments or anything (well, until my brother got back home), but simply because I don't like working out around people who aren't working out with me. My solution was to, 1) put my workout machines in the garage for winter use (nobody really hangs out there), and 2) Every chance I got, I went to workout elsewhere, running at the park, playing b-ball at the park, going swimming, etc.

I would also do my stretching and other floor exercises in my room--and I tried to do all of my working out when most of everyone was still sleeping in the mornings, or after they all went to bed at night.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    I don't like it either.

That's why I make my moves after dark.

Like Dracula.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 682 Member
    I don't like it either.

That's why I make my moves after dark.

Like Dracula.

^^this.
  • I know how you feel. Not much encouragment in my house, just smug grins. But I use the garage, the back yard & walk around the neighborhood. Good luck!
  • goldenguymsw
    goldenguymsw Posts: 191 Member
    Planet Fitness... everyday people like you and me... no muscle heads... they are against that actually... it is cheap... check to see if they have one near you... I live in Virginia and its only 10 or 15 per month... nobody judges you there.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    I have the same problem. I don't even want my fiancé to see me. I wake up at 5am and go for a run, then have the living room to myself for strength training. I have a couple sets of dumbbells and use them every day to every other day. OR I use my Xbox Kinect Fitness Evolved game which is crazy intense. I have Wii fit, but I don't like that I have to stop all the time to choose a different exercise.
  • kingkm02
    kingkm02 Posts: 23
    I am in the same position. I moved back into my parents hour when i got divorced and it is hard for me to work out with anyone in the room. My mom supports me but I still feel uncomfortable with them there. I try to do some in my room upstairs, but it can be loud downstairs since our house is old and the floors are not too thick. I try to do it in the evenings when, especially, my dad is not home. It hasn't been working out too well. Since it is getting nicer, i hope to get to the track and walk more but for now I am at a loss of what to do. I am ok at a gym but when it is family, for some reason its harder. I could use the advice too!
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    I am the same way....I go into my room, lock the door and shut the blinds so no one can see me. My husband will find his way into the room and I stop whatever I'm doing until he goes away. I can go to a gym and walk on a treadmill, use the hand weights, and the machines....but I cannot do a workout routine with anyone else watching me. I am the first to admit I am so uncoordinated that when someone says to move left...I move right. When they say to move up, I move back....I can't help it. Never mind ever going to a Zumba class...I would probably be responsible for either knocking people out or breaking other's bones. :smile:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I'm shameless. I don't care what or who is watching me exercise. They can make all their grins and laugh and whatnot and I'd just scoff knowing I'm taking care of myself.

Luckily I don't have to do that, because my family is considerate and doesn't bother me when I'm exercising, or when they do make comments it's supportive/encouraging. Most of the time they act like I'm a piece of furniture and just make emotionless faces as they walk around me if I'm in their way.
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Same here...I dont even let my wife see me work...I lock myself away and workout, I just generally stay more focused when i'm alone.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    I dont like working out in front of people either. What I have been doing is: I go in bedroom, shut the door, turn on music and jog in place. Also I go on walks with my daughter around the neighborhood block.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Just remember, if they laugh or make fun of you....

Well that didn't work. lol

Here's a link to the picture I was trying to pos: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422085_153411164778973_110060489114041_196781_1392391316_n.jpg
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    I know how you feel. I felt that way for years. I am sort of used to it now, though, I've been with my trainer for almost a year. I don't even look at myself when I am working out, I don't look at anyone else, and I hope no one is looking at me, lol :) Eff em, and just do it!
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Interesting post:flowerforyou:
  • I'm shameless. I don't care what or who is watching me exercise. They can make all their grins and laugh and whatnot and I'd just scoff knowing I'm taking care of myself.

Luckily I don't have to do that, because my family is considerate and doesn't bother me when I'm exercising, or when they do make comments it's supportive/encouraging. Most of the time they act like I'm a piece of furniture and just make emotionless faces as they walk around me if I'm in their way.

I'm another of your shameless ones. Mock me all you want... I'm the one down almost 70 lbs!
    So, as much as it's unfortunate for not having support - it's better to just ignore it and work through.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    I excercise early in the morning to avoid a large amount of traffic. I don't mind people watching so much as I hate when people work out right next to me. It's my biggest pet peeve. Like this morning, I went to the gym, there were 8 empty ellipticals in a row and I went to the one on the end so no one would workout next to me. Next thing you know, a guy jumps on right next to me. I have my own sweat bubble, I don't need yours too when there's lots of open spots :)
  • musclefat2k
    musclefat2k Posts: 89 Member
    It's something that you will HAVE to get over!!!!! Listen to me, I used to feel the EXACT same way. I still get nervousness about it now but there came a point when I had to begin to make decisions to work out regardless of not only what i thought other people were saying about me, but also what i was thinking about other people seeing. Jiggling, big wide body dude in here working out and know he is not going to stick it out. Or look at him he is fat. Your mind can convince you of so many negative things. You have to go at it and say to yourself, It's not about anybody in here sitting around me watching (after all, they are SITTING) You have to say, I'm in here working out and i'm doing it for ME! Eventually those stares will turn into looks of admiration and the comments coming from family will be more like, I remember when you first started and now look at you. Make it about YOU! It's YOUR PROCESS and only YOU can determine what is the right and wrong way to do whats best for YOU! Opinions and criticisms are like Armpits, Everybody has one and eventually they stink! (i didnt say *kitten*) I have now begun to jog OUTSIDE at the park.... I would often worry about my butt shaking or people judging me. But once I started, I got into a "ME" mode real quick. and then it just became all about me! So yep, this 260 lb man gets out there and jogs out in the wild blue yonder for all to see and it's all ABOUT ME! So you do you and then shake off the haters as you gear up for that two piece! :)
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    I felt the same way since allowing my brother to move in. I recently joined Planet Fitness (as someone else mentioned) and it is the most non-judgment place I've ever seen. I love working out again and it gets me out of the house. I highly recommend it!